Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use my BT Smarthub 2 with Plusnet

FIXED
Baskerfield
Hooked

Can I use my BT Smarthub 2 with Plusnet

Hi,

I am contemplating moving from BT to Plusnet. I currently have FTTP and a BT Smarthub 2 with a BT Wholehome mesh system.(white disks purchased and owned by me). I have seen a number of threads on this forum that imply that you can use a BT hub with PN, but they are older posts. So I'm hoping for a definitve answer as to whether I can use my existing BT Smarthub 2.

Please advise.

Thanks

13 REPLIES 13
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 282

Re: Can I use my BT Smarthub 2 with Plusnet

@Baskerfield Yes you can - you merely amend your BT credentials on the Hub to your Pluisnet ones.

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 429

@Baskerfield Welcome to the Plusnet Community Fora.

The answer is Yes. 
As you are simply moving from BT to Plusnet all that you need to do is remove the dsl lead (you must do this), change the username to <youraccountname>@plusdsl.net and password to your account password. Save and reconnect your dsl lead.

Moderator's note:
Thread moved from from Full Fibre to My Router.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Baskerfield
Hooked

Now why couldn't Plusnet say that?! Thank you for the prompt and unequivocal answers @Baldrick1 and @jab1 .

jab1
Legend

@Baskerfield Who did you ask? - if it was sales, the chances are, they don't know.

John
Baskerfield
Hooked

@jab1 It was sales, but I thought they must have been asked the question before.

jab1
Legend

@Baskerfield Sales are there to make the sale - not answer all your questions - this applies to any company, although some, like my current ISP, will transfer you to the relevant department if you have technical/accounts etc queries at the same time.

John
Baskerfield
Hooked

@jab1 Yeah, I get that, but the sale depended on an answer.

Ian06
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

@Baskerfield  -  As per other replies, yes you can... it's simple and straightforward just to change PPOE credentials.

You should also check if the BT Smarthub 2 is yours or if you have to return it to BT when your contract with BT ends, I think for the last two or three years BT supply the router on loan and expect it to be returned (with a penalty charge for not returning it.)

When I did this I got my BT Smarthub 2 off an online auction site fairly cheaply.

Baskerfield
Hooked

@Ian06 Good point. I've been with BT a long while and have had the pleasure of sending back several hubs over the years as a newer model appered. I have had the latest for more than two years, so here's hoping they don't want it back. Otherwise I could be following an online auction!

Baldrick1

@Baskerfield 

What precisely are these ‘white mesh disks? I know that BT have an integrated system that uses the Smarthub as one of the mesh wireless transmitters but I thought that these were black? They also sell stand alone mesh set ups that are white. These are connected to the Smarthub via an Ethernet cable and don’t include the Smarthub wireless transmission.

This latter version will work with any router including the Plusnet Hub 2.

Moderator and Customer

Baskerfield
Hooked

@Baldrick1 The white mesh disks are these here. I might add I paid nothing like that 5 years ago! Yes, they do have an ethernet connection to my network. Not being familiar with the "black" variety, I assumed they did as well. If they work with the Plusnet Hub 2, then I really don't have a problem. Does the Plusnet Hub 2 have the same functionality as the BT Smart Hub 2. My BT Smart Hub 2 has Firewall configuration to provide access to my Network Attached Storage device. Is it as good?

Baldrick1

Fix

@Baskerfield 

Yes these will work fine with a Plusnet Hub 2. This has the same Firewall capability as the BT Smarthub upon which the Plusnet hub is based.

The only basic differences between the two is that the Plusnet version does not support the 'black'  mesh discs or the BT Digital Voice (VoIP) service.

Moderator and Customer

Baskerfield
Hooked

@Baldrick1 Thank you for the info, it just gets better and better!