cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you just switch Hub 2 Routers

FIXED
Swiftnick1

Can you just switch Hub 2 Routers

I work from home and can't afford to lose connectivity, I was going to buy a spare Plusnet Hub 2 Router from eBay as a back up, in case my router went down, is it a straight swap over and change the WiFi password to get a new router up and running, or is a router locked against an account? Requiring work to be done via Plusnet.

8 REPLIES 8
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 438

Re: Can you just switch Hub 2 Routers

They are not 'locked' as such. They are associated with an account and if factory reset, will automatically configure to that account. However, you can change the username & password to your account and it will remain lat that unless factory reset

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 282

@Swiftnick1  You can do as you say, but there may be slight complications. You will need to get the backup Hub registered to your account, and if it is sat around unplugged it  may slip off the management platform and cause issues with regards to f/w updates &.

@bobpullen - have I missed anything?

John
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 317

@jab1 - that's pretty much it.

It will work with some reconfiguration e.g. manually entering Plusnet broadband username/password in the Hub Manager.

It can also be registered to an account, after which a factory reset should see it automatically configure the login credentials  when plugged in/hooked up; without having to fiddle with anything.

If the hub is dormant/offline for long enough, then the account association is likely to be broken, in which case you're back to manual configuration.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Baldrick1
Fixes: 429

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Broadband to My Router

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Swiftnick1

I think I will get one, as a back up, it may never get used, so I wont get it added to the account, but I presume if my router does go down I can get it up and running manually, or call Plusnet & get it added to the account quite quickly, losing a day on half a few hours work. Rather than waiting 2 or 3 days for a new router to arrive.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 88

@Swiftnick1 

There is not a requirement to use a Hub supplied by plusnet so you can buy your own, just need to ensure its a combined modem/router.

That way you bypass all the negatives pointed out in previous posts, regarding account association and out of date firmware of a disconnected Hub Two.

markhawkin
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 14

Fix

@Swiftnick1 

May I suggest you think a little differently about what you are trying to achieve.

The requirement seems to be "I work from home and can't afford to lose connectivity".

So, what might cause a loss of connectivity?

1) A break in the connection between you and the exchange

2) A fault with equipment in your home

3) A far end fault in the exchange or beyond

A reserve Hub 2 might protect you from problem 2 (I would argue that a spare Hub 2 power brick would protect against the most likely "in home" fault) but do nothing about 1 & 3.

In your position I would be thinking about (cheapest & easiest) a mobile network router to hold as a backup or (probably a bit more expensive) a router that supports failover between broadband delivered by Plusnet and a mobile network.

You would then need a SIM on a network providing decent coverage that could be activated in the event of a fault.

Some routers will allow a phone to be used as the source of backup network, this is Draytek's view of broadband failover.

Simple & Effective Broadband Failover (draytek.co.uk)

Some of their products are available relatively cheaply second hand.

I am the satisfied customer....
Swiftnick1

@markhawkin

I like that, covers all eventualities, working again within a few minutes. Thank you.