cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting 2.4g CCTV Cameras

FIXED
gmcorner59

Connecting 2.4g CCTV Cameras

I have just changed from an EE dual band hub to Plusnet Hub 2, also dual band. The EE hub could be set to separate the 5G and 2.4G bands and this is essential to set up the CCTV cameras using my mobile phone (phone has to be on the 2.4g channel to set them up). I can only find one Plusnet WiFi network to connect the phone to, so there must be a setting in the hub to separate the channels, as there was on the EE hub. Anyone know how this is done?

7 REPLIES 7
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: Connecting 2.4g CCTV Cameras

@gmcorner59  The Plusnet Hub2 cannot be configured to separate the Wi-Fi bands. There is only a single network SSID.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 438

Fix

@gmcorner59  temporarily disable 5 ghz on the hub 2 whikst you set up the cameras then reenable it

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

gmcorner59

Great. Will give that a go and report back.

Thanks.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 438

If that doesnt work, There's also a wifi mode setting. Mode 1 gives the best performance but some legacy devices may not work well. Try mode 2 or even mode 3 if the cameras don't play ball.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

gmcorner59

OK Thanks. My son tells me that he fixed the issue (also has the same Hub) by piggybacking an old Hub with just 2.4gig on with the Plusnet one, though it was for other types of device. Will try your fix first though.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 429

@gmcorner59 

A variation if you haven't got an old hub kicking around is to use a cheap single band WiFi extender. See also post 2 here: https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/Separate-Bands-with-a-Smarthub-2-or-Pl...: A cheap extender will use less power than an old hub so wil pay for itself well within its guarantee period.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

gmcorner59

Hi. Fixed my issue by turning off the 5g temporarily but your suggestion of the single band extender sounds like a better fix for my Son.