cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does HubTwo work with Mesh WiFi? Or do I need a new router?

user89p13

Does HubTwo work with Mesh WiFi? Or do I need a new router?

Hi all 

I've recently switched to Plusnet on the Full Fibre 900 package, and they are sending a Hub Two router. I'm skeptical that I will get these kind of speeds without some form of mesh system - but I'm new to home networking and not sure where to start! But it sounds like something that would be worthwhile as I have plenty of wireless devices connected (phones, tablets, TVs, speakers, Hive devices etc). 

My property is a new build with FTTP and the current router (BT branded Smart Hub 2) is in the understairs cupboard connected directly to the modem. Despite currently being with BT/EE on a 500mb plan, I rarely get more than 100mb on a speed test and this can often drop quite considerably to less than 10mb wirelessly - hence the move. 

I've had a quick google around on the matter and I've noticed some comments about how the Plusnet HubTwo router isn't compatible with Mesh systems, so I may need a Mesh system that includes its own router? But if that's the case, are there are suggestions as to which would be worthwhile? I've also seen some comments that the HubTwo router can be switched to "bridge mode" instead of being an actual router? But again, this is over my head currently and would have to look into it further (but also, don't know here to start). 

Any advice on setting up a Mesh network with plusnet broadband plus/minus any suggested kit would be greatly appreciated. But I'm very much aware that there is no "one size fits all" solution here. 

Many thanks in advance. 

10 REPLIES 10
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 437

Re: Does HubTwo work with Mesh WiFi? Or do I need a new router?

I've also seen some comments that the HubTwo router can be switched to "bridge mode" instead of being an actual router? 

@user89p13  bridge mode is only applicable to an FTTC connection, it effectively turns the router into a VDSL modem. On FTTP you already have a fibre modem , its the Openreach ONT. You can connect a Mesh system directly to the ONT as long as it supports a PPPoE connection on its WAN port (most do!)

My property is a new build with FTTP and the current router (BT branded Smart Hub 2) is in the understairs cupboard connected directly to the modem.

The Plusnet Hub 2 is actually a rebranded Smart Hub 2 so its wireless performance will be similar.

Despite currently being with BT/EE on a 500mb plan, I rarely get more than 100mb on a speed test and this can often drop quite considerably to less than 10mb wirelessly - hence the move. 

That's strange, on a wired connection I would expect 500Mb , unless you have a cable somewhere in the loop that is only Cat5 (as opposed to Cat5e or Cat6). That would explain the 100Mb limit.

As for wireless , well unless both your router and client are Wifi6 capable ( and the SH2 an Hub 2 arent) then around 400Mb is the maximum on the 5ghz band. Closer to 50Mb on the 2.4ghz band.

Other than that, I'm afraid I've no direct experience of any of the Mesh systems, hopefully someone with dircet experience will be along...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 60

@user89p13 

Speed test should always be conducted (where possible) on a wired connection. WiFi tests can be subject to local interference.

If it's a new build are there any internal ethernet connections? If there are then these should be utilised - WiFi access points or mesh units wired into them as this gives a better starting point for the unit.

Brian

user89p13

bridge mode is only applicable to an FTTC connection, it effectively turns the router into a VDSL modem. On FTTP you already have a fibre modem , its the Openreach ONT. You can connect a Mesh system directly to the ONT as long as it supports a PPPoE connection on its WAN port (most do!)

Understood - thanks for this. Good to know I can simply use a Mesh system so long as I use one with the correct spec! Thanks for the specifics though, massive help! 

That's strange, on a wired connection I would expect 500Mb , unless you have a cable somewhere in the loop that is only Cat5 (as opposed to Cat5e or Cat6). That would explain the 100Mb limit.

Sorry, I've probably not been very clear with this point. I have at times been able to get a speed test result of near 500mb, but only when I'm stood right next to the router (which because of its location under the stairs, doesn't happen very often!) For example, my office is in the room directly above the router, so distance-wise isn't far at all (maybe 4/5 meters, albeit through floorboards etc), but at best seems to top out around 100mb. Still not a bad speed obviously, but its not the most stable of connections and can often fluctuate and give readings of less than 10mb. But I should probably also say that none of this is with a ethernet cable plugged in to any device. 

As for wireless , well unless both your router and client are Wifi6 capable ( and the SH2 an Hub 2 arent) then around 400Mb is the maximum on the 5ghz band. Closer to 50Mb on the 2.4ghz band.

Thanks for this - very handy info to know about! I imagine that other than mobile phones and maybe one TV, I doubt may devices I have are Wifi6 capable. Perhaps I should have opted for the 500mb package! Oh well!  

But thank you for the above. I'll do some research into mesh systems with an appropriate spec to "replace" the router and plug straight into the ONT. 

user89p13

Hi Brian - thanks for the message. 

Understood about the ethernet ports. Unfortunately, I only have the one port which goes into the back of the router itself. And due to the location under the stairs, I don't plug anything else in directly to the router. 

Annoyingly, there are TV aerial points in every room which I don't use. If only these were ethernet ports - then I'd be sorted! 

I've never looked into how much it would cost to get more ethernet connections wired in, but I presume this would be a costly job! 

But thanks again! 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

and can often fluctuate and give readings of less than 10mb.

If those aew speed tests using the BT Wholesale tester I wouldnt worry, it can be very variable. Try the Ookla one at speedtest.net. On my FF900 connection it gives around 870Mb down and 110Mb up on a wired connection. Wireless on a relatively new laptop sat 4m from my wireless access point (only wifi5) gives around 370Mb down.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bmc
Hero

@user89p13 

If the ONT was on an exterior wall then you could have run an external cable upstairs. Might still be worth getting someone in to what's possible and get a quote based on what's advised.

Also consider powerline adaptors. You need a good quality ones which can handle the different circuits via the fuse box. Others can advise on suitable models.

Brian

Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

@user89p13 

"Annoyingly, there are TV aerial points in every room which I don't use. If only these were ethernet ports - then I'd be sorted! "

I have no experience of these, but could they be an alternative solution to your problem?

https://www.techreviewer.com/learn-about-tech/ethernet-over-coax-a-complete-guide-to-moca-adapters/

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Mr_Paul interesting, never seen those. They claim to have 2.5Gb ports.

I guess it just depends on where the existing coax cables are routed to (I presume?) an aerial amplifier...

bmc
Hero

@MisterW 

I would supsect they go to the loft and the splitter is accessible. There is probably a power source as well.

If no terrestial tv is used they I would imagine you could simply disconnect the incoming feed. If TV's do use the feed then a new second splitter could do the job.

@user89p13 

Have you considered using the co-ax cable to "pull" through ethernet cable. No idea if this would work.

Brian

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

@bmc wrote: snipped

@user89p13 

Have you considered using the co-ax cable to "pull" through ethernet cable. No idea if this would work.

Brian

Yes it would could work, but depends if the coax was installed on a Monday, Wednesday or a Friday...

On a Monday it would likely be various balls of spaghetti, with various lengths going to unknown areas and joints crudely taped together. You might even find an half eaten kebab under the floor.

On a Wednesday it would likely be cable clipped to joists etc, thus unless you're 6'8" and 25st of rippling muscles then you'd not be able to do what's known as 'pull out pull in" - using the existing wire/cable to pull a new wire in it's place. Being an old house basher I'd often try this before ripping plaster off the walls.

However, on a Friday the cables would likely be just thrown in and laying loose and even the likes of (the late) Charles Hawtrey would be able to pull out and pull in!!

If the OP or a sparkie working for the OP can do this, or better still install both CAT6 and Satellite grade COAX (the latter could be debated over standard COAX) then one of these faceplates would neaten things up a bit.

Ethernet and Coax.PNG

(upper ethernet, lower coax)