Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre broadband keeps dropping, router light goes orange

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 283

Re: Fibre broadband keeps dropping, router light goes orange

Deleted - @RealAleMadrid has saved me the trouble.

John
andyt1970
Rising Star

Thank you, I appreciate your replies. So, is this something Plusnet now need to action?

jab1
Legend

It is, Andy. Hopefully @adam945 or one of his Help Team colleagues will pick this up and run with it.

John
andyt1970
Rising Star

12.57pm

Aaaargh! Just happened again whilst putting a job on my works web based software, orange light > disconnected > blue light then back on except I'm now logged out of it for 15 minutes because the remote desktop connection was disconnected 😡

andyt1970
Rising Star

Again at 2.57pm and just after 3.15pm, I can't get any work done 😫

jab1
Legend

Sorry, @andyt1970  - nothing more fellow Community members can do, the Help Team will get round to you.

John
andyt1970
Rising Star

Thank you. Just getting a little frustrated now.....

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hello @andyt1970

Not sure if you saw my message from yesterday, our tests are coming up clear, but a Bridge Tap is being detected, were you able to connect your router directly into the test socket?

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
jab1
Legend

@adam945 Your tests may be coming up clear, but the OP is certainly suffering from a shed-load of disconnections, which may be connected to the bridge tap, but I have my doubts.

John
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 88

So we have this:-

Screenshot 2021-11-16 184001.png

System log 'WAN' indicating multiple DSL drop messages.

Would it be fair to say this points to a phone line issue?

17070 option 2 to check for a noisy line.

Does this issue still occur when connected to the test socket?

Dan

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,606

Thanks for getting back to us @andyt1970

I'm really sorry to see you're having issues with your connection.

I'd like to arrange an Openreach engineer visit to investigate further.

Can you reply to the ticket I've logged on your account Here or the text we've sent with when you'll be available?

If you can post back when you've responded, I'll make sure we book the engineer as soon as we can.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
andyt1970
Rising Star

Hello, thankyou for the reply, I have responded to the the ticket as requested with mornings best for me.

Don't know if this is coincidence but there was an Openreach engineer under the stairwell to our block of flats (live above a row of shops) yesterday between approx. 3-4pm "looking into a hole full of wiring" (as my other half described it).

Connection still dropped this morning though before 9am

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,606

Hi Andy, thanks for getting back to me.

No problem, I can see we've booked the engineer visit and updated the ticket 219682611 with the appointment details.

Let us know how it goes. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
andyt1970
Rising Star

Okay, so engineer has been, spent quite a while testing our master socket and said all was fine, definitely NOT that, then came to look at our router setup / location and said it's definitely our wires/extension leads.

So, to back track and  et me try and explain.....

We live in a flat above shops. Come into the front door into a tiny hall and there is a BT Master Socket on skirting near front door. Our 3 bed flat is above a 1 bed flat (below us), so once in the hall we got straight upstairs to our flat. A telephone extension lead is plugged into the downstairs master socket, up the stairs and into our lounge, where it is then plugged in to one end of a microfilter, then the phone line and an ADSL(?) comes out the other end of the splitter and into the modem which sits on a desk next to our desktop PC. We have 2x ethernet cables coming from the rear of the router, one into the back of the PC and another lead running across the lounge and into our smart TV. Hope that's clear?

Engineer said to move router downstairs to master socket, then I said we'd have to buy and run 2 new LONG ethernet cables from the downstairs router, upstairs into the lounge, one in back of PC, another into back of Smart TV 12 foot away from PC at far side of lounge.

Engineer then said we could buy a long ADSL cable and plug that into master socket downstairs, run this single cable up into the lounge into a microfilter and that would let us keep router where it is, with one ethernet cable going into back of PC and tother into back of TV. End of this new ADSL cable should be plugged into microfilter and telephone plugged into other "hole" and we could then remove the telephone extension lead from the master socket that is downstairs and tacked up the stairs into the lounge.

Great, sounds good. By then engineer had gone saying telephone extension lead is only for carrying telephone signals not broadband.

So after I let him out, got on hands and knees to check our master socket and there is only a single "hole" to plug a telephone or telephone extension lead into.

Am I being thick or what? The end of telephone (plug) that connects to master socket is a different shape/size to an ASDL (?) plug - isn't it?

Why did he suggest that method if it's not a double master socket?

I don't get it, but basically BT Openreach are only responsible for the connection upto / just inside your property, which he tested and works fine. It's upto me to sort out cables/wires etc. I could put router downstairs but my dekstop PC doesn't have a wi-fi card and when we tried Smart TV with wi-fi it kept cutting out, hence our setup and having desktop PC connected via ethernet to router and the TV via ethernet (which is better than wi-fi, more reliable yeah?)

Any urgent help please? I need a lie down and my lunch break is over, back to work put up with the disconnects. 

And why is it intermittent?

N.B. I see he hasn't screwed the other side of the master plate "front" back on, what's he done with the screw Sad

2.jpg1.jpg

andyt1970
Rising Star

I'm also 99% sure he said I'm losing about 10Mbps with our set up, yet I get good results the way things are (see below), it's just these drop outs disconnects Sad

Wonder if buying a cordless phone would make things easier.... how I'm not sure! 

#HELP

result.JPG