Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HUB2 install

smithyoaks
Dabbler

HUB2 install

Just received a HUB2. 
Had the previous HUB1? For five years. Great I thought technology moves on it’s got to be better.

Well here’s my experience. 
 Installing hub and getting an internet connection was straight forward. Then came the task of reconnecting all my WI-FI connected kit to recognise the new SSID and password.

Most gear was ok. My SONOS WI-FI sound system was an absolute pain took ages to re-establish connections. Then all the family laptops, phones, tablets and Amazon smart speakers.

Then came the real bug bare. The smart sockets and smart controllers for lighting. They only connect on 2.4Ghz WI-FI my phone which has the SMART app for installing said sockets would only connect to 5Ghz Wi-Fi so wouldn’t talk to the Smart gear . It took me quite a while to realise this duh! Because everything was fine on the old router. In the dim distant past I had separated at the router the two Wi-Fi 2.4/5 GHz networks. Gave them different names so that I could choose what network to attach a certain device to. 
HUB2 doesn’t allow this as far as I know. So to me it was absolutely useless.
Another thing I found was reduced WI-FI range. With the old router I could be sat in my car outside my garage and just manage to get onto my WI-FI 5Ghz. With HUB2 absolutely no chance, no signal at all.

So right now HUB2  is all nicely packaged and back in its cardboard box. It took me 45mins to re-instal the original router and all  the peripherals , including setting them all up as I had done factory resets etc in an attempt to install Smart stuff to HUB2.

Surely when so much Smart stuff is in peoples houses the designers of HUB2 would have made allowances for this.

Now I could be missing something and maybe someone will say you did it all wrong. I will live and learn but HUB2 is staying in it’s box!

8 REPLIES 8
dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

Re: HUB2 install

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Broadband to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 88

@smithyoaks 

You might have saved yourself a lot of effort if you changed the Hub two Wireless name and password to be that of the Hub One.

Take a read of this https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/what-is-the-wireless-mode-feature-on-my-bt-smart-hub- 

Hub Two is a rebadged BT Smart Hub 2. Changing to Mode 2 might help some devices connect.

Can't comment on the range issue

HTH

Dan

smithyoaks
Dabbler

Thanks Dan
You are right. I did think about that after the hassle.
I just thought new kit clean sweep. Change of security details piece of cake.
Might play with Mode 2 sometime. But why should I have to play with it to see if it works. It should be virtually plug and play these days. It's like going back to the bad old days of searching for obscure driver software.
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 60

@smithyoaks 

I suspect there are hundreds of different chips / pieces of software aound. There will always be potential for conflict.

Changing the Hub2 SSID & password is you're best bet if you have multiple pieces of kit to correct. Switching off the 5g band while you connect 2.4g items and then switching 5g back on also seems to have worked for others.

Brian

DGM
Hooked

I have the same issue.

Is it true to say that in HUB2, the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz wireless bands can only have the same SSIDs and Password?

1. I edited the SSID and pw for 2.4Ghz and it worked fine

2. I couldn't find any way to edit the 5Ghz band , other than switching off the 2.4Ghz and then editing the 5Ghz.

3. When I switched the 2.4Ghz back on, it then had the same SSID and pw that I had edited for the 5Ghz !

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

@DGM 

You can not split the 2.4 and 5Ghz wireless names they have to be the same. If you have a requirement for different wireless names then the Hub Two is not for you

Dan

DGM
Hooked

Ok, thanks for the quick reply.

Back to the HUB 1 then 😞

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

What is the problem you are experiencing with the Hub Two? Some devices not connecting?

Did you try the suggestion in my first post on this thread? 

Dan.