cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with setting up security cameras/static IP

salcalvert
Grafter

Re: Help with setting up security cameras/static IP

@Dan_the_Van I'm afraid I didnt really understand what you said, but I changed the 4050 to UDP then checked the technical log and I get this. Does it tell you anything useful?

tech log.jpg

salcalvert
Grafter

So I get that I may have other issues, but definitely appears port 80 not open so thats a definite obstacle.   can anyone see what I'm doing wrong?

ports.jpg

salcalvert
Grafter

port4050 also showing closed.

here's the "config" settings for port forwarding.  If anyone can spot what I'm doing wrong much obliged.  If any of your can recommend some sort of paid servi9ce to get this working for me I'd be interested.   Really need this up and working for piece of mind.

port config.jpg

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 438

@salcalvert i think you might struggle to forward port 80 since its the internal gui port.

Try forwarding external port 8080 to port 80 on the internal device. Then use <accountname>.plus.com:8080 when trying to connect

Your static IP looks correct.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 88

@salcalvert

I suggest making port 4505 both TCP and UDP. Protocol would be TCP/UDP

You need to view the event log after you have tested if the port is open

salcalvert
Grafter

@MisterW 

@salcalvert i think you might struggle to forward port 80 since its the internal gui port.

Try forwarding external port 8080 to port 80 on the internal device. Then use <accountname>.plus.com:8080 when trying to connect

Your static IP looks correct.

Its worked for port 80 for years on my other router but ok I tried this no difference. 
Also not clear on what you mean by internal device. 
and thirdly, connecting from the phone app using static ip only accepts a string of digits, not the address.plus.com:port you suggest above.

Thanks so much for your time

salcalvert
Grafter

thanks @Dan_the_Van I'm able to view the log but the output is not any language I understand.  

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 438

Also not clear on what you mean by internal device.

The device inside the network that you are forwarding to i.e the dvr

onnecting from the phone app using static ip only accepts a string of digits, not the address.plus.com:port you suggest above.

Sorry, I thought you said earlier you used a DDNS name to connect ? but if it only acceprts an IP address then fine.

Its worked for port 80 for years on my other router

Some routers will allow you to override the internal gui port and set your own forwarding using the same port, others won't , and ISTR that the Hub 2 won't!

I think I may be muddying the waters so I'll leave things to @Dan_the_Van for a while...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 14

External port check will fail if the target device either doesn’t exist or in incorrectly configured, this is where I’d start looking.

Is the device name correct ? Can u access device internally using port 80 trying both name and IP address ?

salcalvert
Grafter

just to add to the confusion soup, I just signed up for a free Dynamic dns service at no-ip (which is one of the allowed options within hub 2) just as a test, and my router wont connect to that either.

salcalvert
Grafter

"Can u access device internally using port 80 trying both name and IP address ?"

@Champnet  I previously had an internal cam viewer, this stopped working once I moved to static ip but is now working again just now on the internal static ip assigned to the dvr with the port 4505 following. (in the format internalip:4505).

Also to note, I can now access the cams via my phone app if I connect to house Wifi and use the internal ip address. But obvs if I disconnect from wifi this doesnt now work.

I think this proves the issue most be between phone and router, as the cams to router part must be working if I can access internal to the network.  Am I right?

Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 14

If the phone is connected to the router using an internal IP address I.E. 192.168.n.n then the answer is no.

you need to bypass the phone using the phone companies network then you can come in through the external address 212.159.n.n. If you’re using internal port 4505 then, if possible, add this to the router port forwarding list.

salcalvert
Grafter

@Champnet "you need to bypass the phone using the phone companies network then you can come in through the external address 212.159.n.n. If you’re using internal port 4505 then, if possible, add this to the router port forwarding list."

yes, tried this and it doesnt connect.   4505 is already in the port forwarding lists but port checker states as closed.

so to summarise:
1 - can access cams internal to network using internal ip address and port 4505.  This *i think* proves router is connecting to dvr.
2 - can access via phone app when connected to internal network. 
3 - confirmed now router is connecting to my ddns at no-ip
4 - phone app will not connect via no-ip, or the static ip.
5 - port checker still showing port 80 and 4505 as closed.

does this all prove the issue is that my ports arent correctly opened externally?  and if so how do I address this within the router? 

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

@salcalvert 

I have tested a port forward rule for port 80 and that seems to work, but I have no success using port 4505.

As a test can you change the external port for the 4505 rule to say 30271 and make a connection using <ip addresses>:30271

EDIT: the earlier posts of the rules look correct

Apart from the device name and rule name it should look like

Screenshot 2024-06-08 163954.png

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

@MisterW 

Can you confirm if the Broadband Account Firewall is now longer available for new customers or should we get it's setting checked?