Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with setting up security cameras/static IP

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 438

Re: Help with setting up security cameras/static IP

@Dan_the_Van looking at the manual , does the DDNS setting on the DVR ( page 58 ) need setting to Off since we are now accessing the DVR using the static IP rather than the iPOLiS DDNS ? Seems like if iPOLiS is set it (the DVR) will try and use uPnP to set the port forwarding. If we've got those set manually , we dont want uPnP to interfere ?

The manual isnt clear what options (if any?) there are other than Off or iPOLiS .

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 88

@salcalvert 

You did include UDP with the rule for port 4505? 

The problem is I am out of the office as they would say for a couple of days.

If you know about nslookup what result does it give for your ddns name?

My feeling there is some config in the DVR being overlooked, but leaving now I have no time to look

@MisterW you might be onto something

salcalvert
Grafter

The other options are a couple of other ddns providers, one of which no-ip, and in there I've put the log in details for the new DDNS I set up.  and as confirmed router is able to connect to this.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

The problem is I am out of the office as they would say for a couple of days.

@Dan_the_Van I'm happy to pick it up while you're not around. Just didn't want to cause confusion previously with two of us offering different suggestions.

@salcalvert there's no need for any DDNS now you have a static public IP. Can we try with it turned Off in the DVR

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

salcalvert
Grafter

@MisterW  "there's no need for any DDNS now you have a static public IP. Can we try with it turned Off in the DVR"

Tried that just now, no difference I'm afraid.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@salcalvert ok, another theory out of the window.

I can confirm what @Dan_the_Van said earlier, the port forwarding is working. The <accountname>.plus.com URL is resolving correctly to your static IP and a windows Test-Netconnection sucessfully connects on both port 80 and 4505.

I'll go and read the manual a bit more...

salcalvert
Grafter

just to summarise back for my own sanity, I can access on my phone app using the internal ip address 192.etc connected to wifi, then changing nothing at all except the ip to the 212.etc address it then doesn't connect.  DDNS is turned off in the DVR.  Port 4505 is set at TCP/UDP in the router.  Ports are showing as open in port checker.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@salcalvert yes , that's about right!.

Just going back to the start,

you used to use the Samsung iPOLiS DDNS service and the hostname it provided ? and that worked ?

you couldn't use that because the Hub2 didn't have an option in its DDNS configuration for iPOLiS ?

so you were advised to get a static IP ?

salcalvert
Grafter

Correct but to add the static ip they gave me was different to the one we have now convinced ourselves is the correct one. I’ve tried that address in my phone app apple.
And also during this journey I’ve also signed up for a free ddns which hub 2 accepts and it won’t work with that either.
salcalvert
Grafter

And I’ve restarted my router and the dvr in the last hour.
Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 14

@MisterW  Sumsung DDNS has been replaced by Wisenet DDNS.

Reading Here it looks like the camera kit keeps the DDNS updated so a router entry is not required.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Champnet that's the conclusion I was coming to when reading the Samsung manual. The Samsung DVR also seems to be able to use uPnP to eliminate the need for manual port forwarding.

However, having set up the forwarding which looks correct, I'm struggling to see what's preventing a connection to the DVR.

Your link also mentions an HTTPS port, the Samsung manual has no reference to Https! Given the propensity of modern browsers to insist on Https , I wonder if that is an issue ?

Champnet
Aspiring Hero

@MisterW Might be worth the OP fully following the Wisenet example, I'll let you make the call....

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I'm a bit concerned that the. DVR might be too old to be consistent with the newer dens instructions

Champnet
Aspiring Hero

80 or 8080 shouldn't make a difference but from the list the one port forward missing is : RTSP port 554.