Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with setting up security cameras/static IP

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 438

Re: Help with setting up security cameras/static IP

@salcalvert so have another think about this overnight...

The port forwarding seems to be working , since test-netconnection succeeds.

The dvr can be accessed locally using its private (192...) IP

So logically, if we assume external traffic is getting TO the dvr, then its the response that's getting lost. If so, then it would point to the gateway IP being wrong (or the DVR ARP cache?). Having an incorrect gateway wont affect local traffic but it will stop outbound external traffic.

So @salcalvert can we try setting the DVR to dynamic IP, that will force it to get gateway & network mask automatically.

Probably best to restart the DVR after that and check that the Connection page now shows a different IP.

Check that you can still connect to the DVR locally using that IP.

Then go to the Hub 2 ,

Go to the Advanced/My Network page.

Select the DVR device.

Select Always Use this IP Address and Save.

No go to the port forward page and change the forwarding rules to use the new internal IP allocated to the DVR

Now try accessing the DVR externally using your public IP 212... or <accountname>.plus.com

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

salcalvert
Grafter

Many thanks, not working from home today so can’t access the equipment but will try this tonight.
salcalvert
Grafter

@MisterW 

"can we try setting the DVR to dynamic IP, that will force it to get gateway & network mask automatically."

Done. the gateway and network mask have now changed to something different than what my router states them to be and I am unable to edit them.  I had previously made sure these matched what my router homepage told me they were.

"Probably best to restart the DVR after that and check that the Connection page now shows a different IP."

Done.  But the internal IP of the DVR did not change.

"Check that you can still connect to the DVR locally using that IP."

Yes this worked.

"Then go to the Hub 2 , Go to the Advanced/My Network page. Select the DVR device. Select Always Use this IP Address and Save."
I didnt need to select this it was already on.

"No go to the port forward page and change the forwarding rules to use the new internal IP allocated to the DVR"

IP hadnt changed so this didnt need editing. Have rechecked and ports are open.

"Now try accessing the DVR externally using your public IP 212... or <accountname>.plus.com"

Sorry, still wont connect.  

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Done. the gateway and network mask have now changed to something different than what my router states them to be and I am unable to edit them.  I had previously made sure these matched what my router homepage told me they were.

I would expect them to be Gateway - 192.168.1.254 Netmask 255.255.255.0 , is that what they are ?

Done.  But the internal IP of the DVR did not change.

So is the IP still 192.168.1.200 ?

That suprises my somewhat , since I thought .200 is outside the DHCP range of .64 to .199 ?

Sorry, still wont connect.  

Oh dear! back to the drawing board...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

salcalvert
Grafter

@MisterW I would expect them to be Gateway - 192.168.1.254 Netmask 255.255.255.0 , is that what they are ?

My mistake, gateway yes, netmask is that but with a .7 at the end

So is the IP still 192.168.1.200 ?

yes.

Oh dear! back to the drawing board...

Should I change everything back?  Or buy a new TPLink router??  haha

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 88

@MisterW 

Hub Two DHCP range is .64 to .253.

@salcalvert 

The app you have loaded on your smart phone, does it work when you connect to your home WiFi?

Maybe set the smart phone up as a mobile data hotspot and try using a PC?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Hub Two DHCP range is .64 to .253.

@Dan_the_Van Thanks, I wasn't sure what the default range was. That explains why the DVR is still at 200. Even though the DVR was set to static , the Hub had previously seen it connected and marked it as fixed.

netmask is that but with a .7 at the end

Now that's not right!. Not sure how its got that as a netmask ? should definitely be .0 . @Dan_the_Van is the netmask changeable on the Hub 2 , I didn't think so ? I assume the setting is on the LAN details page somewhere ?

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 88

@MisterW 

Not that I have changed the mask, but I believe it can be, someone here complained that a /28 (I think) didn't work.

Network settings

Screenshot 2024-06-12 184249.png

I'm using 192.168.10.0/24

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@salcalvert can you check that the netmask is set correctly on the Hub 2 network page as show above , it should be 255.255.255.0

Just trying to understand the consequences if it was .7 ?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

255.255.255.7 isn't a valid netmask

salcalvert
Grafter

Sorry guys, I've misinformed you, my mistake for doing this in a rush and the DVR is in another room to where I can log into the router. I mistyped. working from home today so much more opportunity.

netmask is 255.255.255.0 on both the router and the DVR.

Its the gateway that doesnt match. The DVR changed gateway to 255.255.255.127 when we moved the settings from Static IP to Dynamic IP yesterday and cannot now be edited by me.  Router says my gateway is 195.166.130.254.  (I had previously matched these gateway settings in DVR and router)

Incidentally just noticed my router says I have a "Broadband IP address" which is the 212. string we have been using as the static IP, but I also have a "Broadband primary DNS" and a "Broadband secondary DNS" which are both different.

gateway.jpeg

Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 14

A DNS server is like a phone book, give it a name it will return a number. One is neccessary - two is better than one...

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Its the gateway that doesnt match. The DVR changed gateway to 255.255.255.127 when we moved the settings from Static IP to Dynamic IP yesterday and cannot now be edited by me.  Router says my gateway is 195.166.130.254.  (I had previously matched these gateway settings in DVR and router)

@salcalvert well , they're both wrong!

The gateway you see on the router 195.166.130.254 is the router gateway to the internet. The gateway the DVR should have is the gateway device to get from the private 192.168.1.x subnet to the internet, it should be the router address 192.168.1.254.

Where the router is getting 255.255.255.127 from , I have no idea.

I suggest we switch back to static IP on the DVR with the following settings

IP 192.168.1.200

Gateway 192.168.1.254

Subnet mask 255.255.255.0

DNS 192.168.1.254

salcalvert
Grafter

I suggest we switch back to static IP on the DVR with the following settings

IP 192.168.1.200

Gateway 192.168.1.254

Subnet mask 255.255.255.0

DNS 192.168.1.254

Confirmed this is done and restarted the DVR.  These were the settings we had before the switch yesterday.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

These were the settings we had before the switch yesterday.

but you said above

Router says my gateway is 195.166.130.254.  (I had previously matched these gateway settings in DVR and router)

Does local access to the DVR still work ?

and I guess remote access doesn't ?