cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I reconfigure a bt hub 2 to work on Plusnet ?

Lesleylou2

How do I reconfigure a bt hub 2 to work on Plusnet ?

I've just received a new Plusnet 2 router but it's not compatible with my old bt discs, which I need to connect my computer to the internet ( it's on a 3rd story of my house and has to be connected via an ethernet cable. )
I have read that they would be compatible if I reconfigure a bt hub and use that instead of the Plusnet hub. I'm not very techy so haven't got a clue 😕
Failing this I will have to go back to bt and pay loads more 🙈
Many thanks
I
6 REPLIES 6
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 437

Re: How do I reconfigure a bt hub 2 to work on Plusnet ?

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-A-BT-Smarthub-An-Update/td-p/1795292

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Lesleylou2 you seem to have replied on the linked thread instead of here.

I really don't have much of a clue about any of this. So would you recommend that I try to reconfigure the hub, which I don't really understand, or just change back to BT Business and get connected to the discs that way. 

If you try and change back you will be liable for early termination chanrges on your PLusnet contract, so I suggest that you at least attempt to reconfigure the BT Smart Hub.

First can I confirm what Product you are on, you've posted in the Full Fibre board but are your really on that ( FTTP ) ?

and what product were you previously on with BT

The above is needed to check how your Hub needs to be connected

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Full Fibre to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Baldrick1
Fixes: 429

@Lesleylou2 

What sort of BT disc did you have? Was it the sort that created a mesh with the Smarthub? If so do you still have the same Smarthub? I understand that BT want them back these days or charge. 

Don’t pay a fortune by going back to BT, we can talk you through this if you provide requested information.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Gerry5
Dabbler

Hi - I would like this information please - I've recently moved to Plusnet but wish I hadn't now. Although BT was charging more, the signal was strong and reliable even in the 'dead spots' - a solid 150 mb/s almost everywhere - whereas now I'm lucky to get 2.5mb/s even with a £40 'booster', even though I am paying for 500 mb/s - that is only achieved on occasion and then only within a couple of meters of the router. Otherwise it is considerably less. The plug-in extenders do absolutely nothing and they are no use for wifi. I have already shelled out way more on additional equipment than I would have saved with plusnet, but with zero result.

I've kept the BT equipment in the hope that I can reconfigure it to plusnet, and I'll take the financial hit, so a 'non-techie' idiot's guide would be much appreciated Smiley 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Gerry5 the information is linked in my post above

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-A-BT-Smarthub-An-Update/td-p/1795292