cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to block ALL but a select number of devices in Hub Two Parental controls

Fozzie_Bear

How to block ALL but a select number of devices in Hub Two Parental controls

I have arranged for customer Services to send a Hub Two to my daughter for safeguarding purposes. I must say Plusnet have been great in understanding our family issue.

I now need to replace their current hub one and set up the parental controls in hub two. I have watched the video through several times but it only shows how to restrict access for scheduled times. I need to block ALL devices on the network 24 x 7 with the exception of my daughters laptop which she uses for work, a couple of fire sticks and my daughter and partners mobile phones plus an MP3 player with the browser uninstalled and locked down. Has anyone used parental controls to achieve this?

In the video there is a Pause Option but this does not appear to have an "Always" option. Can I use the schedule function to limit access for 00:00 to 23:59 for example.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received. The problem I have is limiting access to the internet for only certain specific devices and preventing others like game controllers, Oculus headsets, phones, tablets and any other internet capable device from accessing the web. At the same time they need to be able to watch TV and access Spotify on a locked down MP3 player.

3 REPLIES 3
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 88

Re: How to block ALL but a select number of devices in Hub Two Parental controls

@Fozzie_Bear welcome to the community.

From the point of controlling access to you home network I'm not sure the Hub Two is what you are looking for.

A device would have had to have been connection to the Hub for it to be added to any access rule, there is no MAC white or black list function.

Other than changing the wireless password from the default, not providing someone the wireless password and preventing them access to a LAN port I do not see what else can be done.

The parental control uses a 12 hour clock (am and pm), it could be you set 00:00 to 23:59 as 00:00 am to 00:00 am

Assuming your broadband is delivered over copper (you previously used a Hub One), you have space for a second device you could set the Hub Two to 'Bridge Mode' buy a third party router and take advantages of the access control you are looking for.  or buy a xDSL modem/router device with access control. 

Fozzie_Bear

Re: How to block ALL but a select number of devices in Hub Two Parental controls

Thanks @Dan_the_Van 

I have now replaced their Hub One with the Hub Two and changed the default Admin password and wifi password. I have slowly connected devices to the network and identified them with meaningful names and then added them all to a group (Whole Home) with the exception of my daughters work laptop and work phone and the Firestick. I have then applied a schedule to this Whole Home Group restrict access from 9:30pm until 07:00 am. Much of this was by trial and error as I initially thought the time range was for the unblocked period.

I need to return and add other devices to the network as and when they are turned on and connect. I wish there was a proper manual foir the HubTwo. The only thing I can find on parental controls is a plusnet video and that's a very basic setup. I cant even find a manual for the BT equivalent. How customer services can answer technical questions is beyond me. I think I'll ask on the networking and router forum I a member of to see if they know who makes these routers for BT.

I know need to research Plusnet Safeguard and see if I can block access to social media websites such as Twitter (X), Reddit, Facebook and others. Do you know if Safeguard is a free service for plusnet customers?

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 88

@Fozzie_Bear 

Safeguard is free, after enabling you need to reboot the Hub

https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/router-user-guides/hub-two/ is the link to everything Hub Two wise in the help pages.

Compared to the Hub One documentation this Hub is very poor.