cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 2 Universal Plug and Pray and Firewall issues....

mw0dcm
Hooked

Hub 2 Universal Plug and Pray and Firewall issues....

Hi All,

I have the Plusnet Hub 2 and I run a Plex Server to stream movies and TV shows around the home and over WAN while I'm out and about. The issue I have is that remote keeps dropping out when using both UPnP and the built in NAT, even the Xbox One S's around the home have shown a DNS error every now and again with these items switched on.

I've had a second Hub 2 recently and within minutes the same issue struck up. I've added all the ports both TCP and UDP that Plex and the Xbox's use to the Port Forwarding, but sadly, with Firewall switched on, it just doesn't work (Firewall on Default) but as soon as I switch the Firewall off, hey presto Remote Access is back on the Plex Server, and Xbox's sing.

I run Ubuntu 20.04LTS for Plex etc, and this issue even shows up on a dreaded Windows PC to, so I know it's not a OS issue.

To combat the Firewall being switched off at the moment, I have set up the one built into Linux and opened the ports there, so the Server is protected to some degree. but would love to finally be able to use the NAT instead of just the one on the PC, so the Xbox's are secure also. I'm not a fan of UPnP as it in itself has security issues, and as I see it, should only have been used for internal networking, but somewhere, some bright boffin thought "I know, lets make it available for WAN too!"

So, there is my dilema, and I wonder if anyone is running the same type of system i.e. Plex or Jellyfin or Emby and have either cured the issue, or like me, have had to resort to dancing with the devil? I see my only other option if it comes to it, is a new router of my own, and hope that Universal Plug and Pray works in conjunction with the NAT that way?

Cheers for any advice or input.....

Dave