Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 2 drops, packet loss and latency issues, bufferbloat

markhawkin
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 14

Re: Hub 2 drops, packet loss and latency issues, bufferbloat

@DarkLordOfAll 

Firstly some sympathy as you do seem to be on a rutted track off the "information super highway".

The first thing I would wonder about is whether something (your PC perhaps) is syncing loads of data with a cloud service.

I would suspect Microsoft's OneDrive.

This can fill up the upload and make everything else slow to a trickle.

As far as routers are concerned, you could look at a Draytek 28xx series router. For example a 2860ac (I used one for some years) seems to go for £20 - £30 second hand now and allows all sorts of QoS settings (it has a reasonably steep learning curve however).

I would also consider if one of the mobile networks can provide coverage (try cheap sims from all 4 mobile networks but start with EE).

If you had a suitable router for a mobile network (Ethernet out) the Draytek would load balance between an ADSL line and mobile data. 

I am the satisfied customer....
DarkLordOfAll
Dabbler

Hello Mustrum,

I have attached BT test. 

here is a link to the Thinkbroadband. 

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/cd47d22ed23f38ecfbaef5f27033a9e95ddf0f30

Let me know you thoughts. 

DarkLordOfAll
Dabbler

Hello,

I turned off cloud storage ages ago for similar reasons. 

I am having a look at the Draytek. 

I have just posted more data from my line.

Thanks for your  help. 

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@DarkLordOfAll  the BTW checker shows you are getting good speeds based on the distance you are from the exchange, although it would have been more helpful to show if there were any more lines above the ones you did show.

The thinkbroadband chart shows heavy usage except when you are asleep. 

Forget about bufferbloat and latency, either turn everything else off and only use one device/app at a time, or better move to somewhere you can get faster broadband.

markhawkin
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 14

@DarkLordOfAll 

You may have looked at this, but you seem to be below the "Universal Service Obligation".

https://www.bt.com/broadband/USO

In your situation I would definitely look at the speeds achievable from mobile networks.

I might even consider Starlink.

With a connection as slow as yours, typical modern PC software can consume more bandwith than your connection can offer and I think that's what is happening.

I assume no "alternative network" is available to you.

I am the satisfied customer....