cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
Dumsey

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

I have been on PlusNet Fibre for some time but only recently started noticing real problems with Wi-Fi connections - in the last month or so. 

• Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen?
    Wi-fi keeps dropping connection
  • Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?
    Hub indicator generally blue, but I am not always in the same room as it when the connection drops
  • Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?
    I had them split but all devices had them both set up as nodes so they could connect to whichever...
  • Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?
    I have a NetGear Powerline wired to the router and this was affected too
  • Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]
    No
  • Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur?
    No. Takes anywhere from 5 seconds to an hour for the problem to recur
  • If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.
    Ipad mini 4 and iPhone SE both with up to date (Oct2020) OS
  • Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred?
    Maybe possibly since the iPhone upgraded to iOS 14.0.1
  • Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points. 2 NetGear Powerline adapters, MacBook, iPad, 2 x iPhones, Panasonic SmartTV

Since reading this thread I have switched off the 5Ghz line but really would rather there was a fix available.

clare0363

Hi @bobpullen,

I'm currently experiencing issues with the 5Ghz Wi-Fi frequency - could you push the pre-release firmware to my Hub One please?

1. Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen?
    Only devices connected to 5Ghz Wi-Fi lose internet access, despite staying "connected" to the router. Occurs roughly 1/2 times per day (1-day DHCP lease duration).

2. Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?
    Connected via 5Ghz. Wi-Fi. Status indicator is blue when it occurs.

3. Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?
    Merged. Tried split channels and have same issue with 5Ghz only.
  4. Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?
    Persistent (usually reboot manually within a few hours though). Wired devices unaffected by issue.

5. Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]
    Problem occurs on a family-member's laptop around the same time each day (8pm). Perhaps related to DHCP lease duration.

6. Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur?
    Yes. Reoccurs many hours later on the same day, or the following day.

7. If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.
    Unknown - all Wi-Fi devices supporting 5Ghz seem to be affected.

8. Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred?
    Issue has been present since around the time *.263 router firmware was released so it's hard to say.

9. Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points.
    No powerline adapters or wireless access points.
    One wired-only automatic switch used; its connected devices are unaffected by the issue.

Recently received replacement router after over a year of this issue. Same issue occurred within a week of installing it (both are on *.263 firmware). I've reinstalled the original router for when the latest firmware is pushed.
Thanks in advance 🙂

gfieldz

Heya @bobpullen. I'm having issues with the 5Ghz channel on the WiFi currently separated them out but still getting weird issues whenever I merge them back together. I'm running: 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 

The issues themselves haven't appeared since I separated out the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz band but due to interference with the microwave on the 2.4Ghz band I'm looking to get the 5Ghz back so I can listen to music in the kitchen!  

1. Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen? 
    Devices randomly disconnect, lose internet connection but remain connected to the wifi or have authentication issues when it is confirmed the wifi passkey is correct
  2. Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?
    The light is blue
  3. Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?                           This was more of an issue when the 2.4Ghz and the 5Ghz channels were merged. Once "split" the problem is isolated to the 5Ghz Band
  4. Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?                                                                                                                                           The problem is persistent once it starts and even persists across hub reboots. Currently the only device we have hooked up to the router are a powerline adapter that connects 2 desktop PC's and 1 Samsung Smart TV and both are unaffected when this is happening
  5. Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]                                                                                                         I am not able to reproduce the issue reliably it seems to happen at complete random
  6. Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur?
    No. It is fixed for about 2-5 minutes and then the devices have authentication issues. However rarely it does fix itself for a few hours. 
  7. If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.
    I have noticed that it affects all android phones in the house (Nokia 7.2 running android 10, Nokia 5.1 Running android 9, and 2 Pixel 4a's running android 11)
  8. Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred?                                                                                                                                                   These devices were bought at separate times before (Nokia's) and after (Pixels) the new wifi router was introduced  
  9. Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points.                                             Wireless devices: 4 android mobile phones, 1 iPad Mini 2nd Generation with LTE, 2 Google chromecasts (Gen 1 and Gen 2), 1 Panasonic Smart TV, 2 Google Home Mini's, 2 Laptops (Lenovo & Dell that mix between wired  / wireless) and lastly a Raspberry Pi 4 connected wirelessly                                                                                                       Wired devices: Router -> Powerline adapter which splits to: a Samsung Smart TV, from the same single powerline adapter next to the Hub to another one located upstairs connected to a small TP-Link TL-SG105S 5-Port Desktop Gigabit Ethernet Switch which connects to a Raspbery Pi4 along with another Desktop PC. And lastly another desktop PC powered by a seperate Powerline adapter linked to the Hub.  
Surfer
Rising Star

This issue seems to be very widespread and has being going on for some time with no resolution.  Surely this is a breach of contract by Plus net enabling the consumer to change supplier without penalty?

DeeAJay
Dabbler

Just to let you know. @bobpullen kindly sent the workaround update to our router last week and it worked for a while. But unfortunately the problem is back. We can no longer connect to the 5Ghz band. B****r. And even when we could, something else was going on with our internet connection, but that's for another thread perhaps. 

mugmes

@bobpullen could you also push the updated firmware to my router please?

Surfer
Rising Star

Not much point updating as it only works for a day or two and then it is back to their normal.

Wrightyp

To be fair, we have had the update since the end of July and haven't had any WIFI related drop-outs.  We have had line dropouts but everything reverts to being connected once it reboots.

I would point out that the Plusnet router (after the .263 update) is a pile of garbage as the WIFI range is absolutely appalling.  Prior to the .263 update the router was perfectly splendid and operated really well for what it is.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 317

@Chip20 & @alexgrantham28 - I've pushed an update to your devices. You'll need to reboot to apply the changes.

@Surfer wrote:

This is getting ridiculous!  We complained on the forum a couple of weeks ago about the wifi dropping out and given instructions how to do an update.  It resolved the issue for few days and the problem returned.  However now unless you are in the same room, the wifi is very intermittent and drops out and you have to reconnect. 

I am now finding that it is dropping out even when using an Ethernet connect direct to my laptop although it is not as frequent as when using the wifi.

Sounds like there's something else at play here 🤔

Looking at your router logs, all of your recent Wi-Fi connection events are on the 2.4GHz network, not the 5GHz network (which is the issue this thread has been created to help troubleshoot). Neither does the issue here affect anything connected via Ethernet. Does the situation clear up for a while if you reboot? I'd be happy to take a look in more detail if you're willing to work with us and try and establish what's happening. That said, completely understand if you would rather swap the device out for the BT Smarthub.

@Surfer wrote:

Not much point updating as it only works for a day or two and then it is back to their normal.

This is not the experience of the vast majority of other customers that have contributed to this thread of late.

@Wrightyp wrote:

I would point out that the Plusnet router (after the .263 update) is a pile of garbage as the WIFI range is absolutely appalling.  Prior to the .263 update the router was perfectly splendid and operated really well for what it is.

Interesting observation. Don't suppose you know what version you were running previously? At the time of writing, everything you have connected to the 2.4GHz radio is reporting a healthy signal strength. The two devices on the 5GHz network are verging towards the poorer side of things though.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 317

@AndyD1 @MarcusC @rayhamilton @Marvo @jcluckie @Dumsey @clare0363 @gfieldz & @mugmes - I've taken a slightly different tack with your devices.

They too have had an update sent to them (you will need to reboot to apply it), however you should find that following a restart, the software version ends .287 (rather than .273).

I'm *very* keen to know whether this helps resolve your issues, so please try and report back one way or the other to let me know. It has the potential to really help further our progress.

Thanks Smiley

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Wrightyp

Sorry, couldn't tell, you what version we were on.  I can say that when from when we joined Plusnet up to the .263 the router was OK, trouble began after the update.  Your other comment bears out what most people are saying about the WIFI range and signal strength as the 2 items connected via 5ghz are my phone and an Xbox one.  I purposely split the bands so I could control what was connecting to each band.  My Xbox foe example is less than 3 metres away from the router.

gfieldz

Thanks Bob! Updated and synced the SSID's. Hopefully no issues to report 🤞🤞

Dumsey

Thank you. We were on .273 and have rebooted and now showing .287

I have also synced the 5 and 2.4

Will keep an eye on the connection and let you know

Surfer
Rising Star

Bob because the wifi kept dropping out when using 5Ghz I switched everything to 2.4Ghz.  After the update it worked okay on 5Ghz for a couple of days and then back to square one. The TVs in the conservatory and bedroom both collecting signal from wifi struggle to get a signal at times and all I get is the circle going round and round. 

Although main Tv is connected via Ethernet I still have to use the Firestick to access programs and at times it can be slow to load.  Using Ethernet connection generally no issue as expect a drop out occasionally. 

Initially I thought there was an issue with my laptop however no issue if I use Three to download etc. Everything points to the router.  I think the version is .273?

lalucas91

Morning Bob,

Could you please push the fix to my router. I'm running 4.7.5.1.83.8.263.

1. Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen? If I enable 5GHz on my HO it regularly drops out on all devices that connect to it. If I disable the 5GHz I have no connection issues but I'm operating at slower speeds.

2. Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs? Yes, it's an issue with the 5GHz network.

3. Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network? Merged.

4. Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time? Wired unaffected, only devices connected to 5GHz network.

5. Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode] No.

6. Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur? Sometimes, not always. Problem will recur within a day.

7. If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version. Affects all devices on the 5GHz network, PC Win10, Samsung S9/S10, Amazon Kids Tab.

8. Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred? No, ongoing issue since I joined PN in April.

9. Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points. Devices described above, wired a Dlink DIR615 as an access point to test, connection doesn't drop out but is limited to 2.4GHz so no better than the HO.

Thanks

Luke