cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
Karenkew

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

1. Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen? When connecting to the internet get a This site can't be reached error. Have to refresh several times to get to the page required.

2. Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs? Any of my devices connected to the hub have this issue, laptops, phones etc. The hub status remains blue

3. Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?Merged

4. Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time? I have tried using the ethernet connection with a laptop and the issue still occurs

5. Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode] No particular trigger, but happens all the time

6. Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur? Resolves it briefly, but probably no more than 30 minutes before problem starts again

7. If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version. all devices

8. Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred? No

9. Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points. Hub One router. Toshiba laptop, iphone SE, Samsung Galaxy SE, iphone 5s, Huawei mediapad T3 10, Roku 1

The hub is running 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 no update date is shown. I had this problem several months ago and I believe a firmware update resolved it, but it is occurring again. Please can I request a firmware update to .273 @bobpullen 

brianpol88

Hi @bobpullen I am experiencing the 5ghz WiFi issue described in this thread. I can connect to the 5ghz network but I have no internet access. I have been with Plusnet for around a year. I had issues initially but everything has worked fine (on 5ghz) for several months. 2ghz is unusable as speeds aren't enough to reliably load even a simple website (Google).

I would be grateful if the firmware update here could be sent to my router. My software version is 4.7.5.1.83.8.263. my

Answers below.

Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen?

I can connect to 5ghz network but there is no internet access. Has been down for 3 days. Called Plusnet and they said it would be fixed by yesterday. No difference today, still no internet.

Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub? Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?

All devices experiencing the same issue described above. Hub light remains blue.

Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?

Split and only affects 5ghz.

Once the problem occurs is it persistent? Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?

Problem is persistent. No wired devices.

Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]

No. Since problem occured it has remained present.

Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub? If so, how long does it take before problems recur?

Rebooting had no effect. I have tried the various other suggestions in the original post without success.

If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.

All devices affected the same way. MacBook, HP laptop, android phone and iPhone.

Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred?

No.

Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points

We have a tp link signal booster. The network includes an HP laptop, MacBook, iPhone and Motorola Android phone. They all have the same issue. They can connect to 2.4ghz network fine - but signal is unusably slow (I have tried all channels). They can connect to 5ghz separately but it has no internet connection.
ashto

@bobpullen

Hi Bob, please can you also push the firmware to my device. Been having problems with 5Ghz (disconnections + very low speeds) for well over a year. Restarting fixes it for a few hours/days but the problem consistently comes back.

Thanks in advance

pazimw1

Thanks for pushing the update to our hub Bob. We've had .273 for just over two weeks and have not had any problems at all in that time Smiley

Joshimitsu91

Hi @bobpullen we are also having this issue on .263 - please can you push the firmware update to us?

1. Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen? Mobile phones dropped from WiFi approximately 1 day after resetting router. They would appear to connect but show "authentication problem". Realised this was a 5GHz issue so split the bands and now they stay connected to 2.4GHz. Tried connecting my laptop directly to the 5GHz band and it will show connected, no internet (Win 10).

2. Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs? Hub status is normal. Devices connect but have no internet or similar.

3. Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network? They were merged and any 5GHz capable device was having the issue. Now split, the issue only occurs on the 5GHz network.

4. Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time? Only affects wireless devices and persists until the router is reset, then works for about a day. Wired devices seem unaffected, as do those connected to the 2.4GHz band.

5. Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode] I believe its just time elapsed since the router was reset, though I cannot confirm that.

6. Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur? Seems to be, takes somewhere up to a day.

7. If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version. Two OnePlus 5T phones, both latest version of software. Dell laptop running latest Win 10.

8. Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred? No software updates on the phone since I installed Plusnet about a month ago.

9. Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points. Router directly connected to master socket. One powerline from router to office but it does not have any WiFi. No secondary access points or anything like that.
Gordon2308
Hooked

Hi, @bobpullen. How often are updates pushed through to routers?
Tags (1)
ericman95

Hi @bobpullen, also having this issue on .263 firmware. 2.4Ghz band works fine, but 5Ghz has persistent problem. Could please push the update to my router?

1. Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen?
    Most devices disconnect from 5Ghz band, some stay connected, but no internet. Happens several times throughout the day
  2. Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?
    Some devices appear connected to the hub. Normal/blue hub status indicator when it occurs
  3. Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?
    The channels are split, SSID's named differently and only affects the 5Ghz network
  4. Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?
    When it occurs it is persistent until reset. A PC is wired connected and it is not affected
  5. Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]
    No. 
  6. Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur?
    Yes. Anywhere up to a day
  7. If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.
    Only devices connected to the 5Ghz band. iPhone XR, Nintendo Switch, PS4 Pro, HP Envy laptop
  8. Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred?
    No
  9. Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points. The home network consists of HP Envy 13 laptop, 2 android phones, Nintendo Switch, Desktop PC, iPhone XR, PS4 Pro, android TV box, android tablet, Macbook Air
minicorrect

Hi. I've been having an absolute nightmare with my wifi since I got a smart TV and it seems to be getting worse. I tried moving it over to 5Ghz and it worked a lot better but then it disappeared. I've gone into the hub and checked it was activated and separated it from the 2.4 and restarted the router and it's there again, but noticed my firmware is .263 - can you send me an update too please @bobpullen? Many thanks!

Rickman
Hooked

I'm so glad I found this post. I've been stressing for ages with this issue, finally yesterday turned off the 5ghz and it's working. Briefly tried the BT Hub6 and the download was massively faster, but my Google devices wouldn't connect. Could you possibly send me the firmware update also please?

Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen?
Any device on the 5ghz will drop intermittently on wifi. As an example, my phone. It won't load anything.
Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub? Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?
All are connected to the hub. Normal/blue hub status indicator when it occurs
Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?
The channels are split, SSID's named differently and only affects the 5Ghz network
Once the problem occurs is it persistent? Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?
Occurs randomly but every ten minutes on average. Not tried hard wired.
Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]
No.
Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub? If so, how long does it take before problems recur?
Yes. Anywhere up to a few hours
If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.
Only devices connected to the 5Ghz band. Huawei P20 Pro and Nova 5T, Google speakers, nest, Sony bravos TV, Microsoft surface Pro normally unaffected
Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred?
No
Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points. The home network consists of 4 Google speakers, 2 lights, 2 Huawei phones, one iPhone, PS4, Nest thermostat, Sony TV and apply TV. Lenovo laptop and MS Surface Pro

I have Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated Unknown
Tallowhand
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi Rickman I'll get details of this raised to our Products team and would should have that updated within the next 24/48 hours.

If you can reboot your Plusnet router after this time, the update should kick in and you should see if this fixes your issue for you.

Tony Hills
 Plusnet Help Team
ashto

Hi @Tallowhand,

Can I also have the firmware update please.

Tallowhand
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Sure @ashto.

As mentioned before, please allow 24/48 hours before rebooting your router and let us know if this has/n't fixed the issue with the 5GHz wifi.

Tony Hills
 Plusnet Help Team
RK

Hi @Tallowhand, coudl I too please? See previous post for details of problem if required made last week orginally requesting this. thanks!

TomRob

Hi @Tallowhand , could you push the firmware update to me too as per my previous post to @bobpullen ?

Thanks

Joshimitsu91

@Tallowhand could you please push the firmware update to me, thanks.