Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
charliecambs
Dabbler

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

Hi thought I'd update  the result of the  "289" firmware from @bobpullen 

so far I've been running for a week with good 5Ghz connections and no mystery "no internet" messages.

In fact running speedtest.net on this laptop now reports close to ethernet connected main desktop which I don't recall previously being the case.

So I'd say that 289 seems to offer a fix to what seems to have been a long term issue and hopefully will soon rollout to those who may not have noticed they were having an issue.

That may reduce the market for HH6 though!

GlitterChick
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

How would I go about getting the updated firmware on my Hub One router please? I’ve had the 5ghz issues for ages. I split the wifi into two networks so I could stop devices connecting to 5ghz, but if there is a potential fix I’d love to try it. Thank you.
ConorP

This makes it all the more frustrating that this update hasn't been pushed out! @bobpullen - please can those who have requested the new firmware get an update? I'm waiting to see if this works before deciding whether to move to another provider... 

churcher45

Hi

I've looked through this thread and I think this is the issue that's been affecting me. I've had wifi dropping frequently on specific devices (mostly my iMac desktop and the Roku streaiming stick) which then struggle to re-connect and can only be resolved by resetting the router. I'm now having to do this almost every day.

I'm on "Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated 10/07/19".

Is it possible to request this "289" firmware update from @bobpullen that has possibly fixed the issue?

Thanks

andyp476

Hi

How do I obtain this workaround? My responses to the questions are below.

When will the problem be fixed?

We are working on the problem as a priority. The fix is likely to come in the form of a software/firmware update and will take some time to fully test/deploy.

**We have a reactive workaround that can be applied on a case by case basis. You can request this is applied by posting a reply to this thread containing answers the the questions at the foot of this post.**

Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen? AP - different devices keep losing the wifi connection when 5GHz enabled

Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub? Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs? AP -  It's more a case of they are connected and then lose the connection and you notice it when you go to control other things on the network. The hub indicator is normal.

Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network? AP - They are named the same, but problem only occurs to devices connecting to 5GHz

Once the problem occurs is it persistent? Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time? AP - Yes, persistent once it starts, a small amount of respite if you reboot router, but only hours. Wired devices I think are unaffected.

Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode] AP - No, not sure what triggers it

Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub? If so, how long does it take before problems recur? AP - Yes, and then hours, so we might reboot in an evening, it works ok for a few hours, but lost by the time you wake in the morning.

If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version. AP - various iphones, all recent models - always affected and at same time, Laptop running Windows 10 also affected at same time

Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred? AP - No

Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points. - AP - A number of laptops connect wirelessly, a few home control devices Hue bridge and Hive with wired connections, Sky Q connected wirelessly, and a number of Ipads / Iphones.

yoash

I'm currently running 4.7.5.1.83.8.263. I have been running with 2 separate SSIDs for a while, and only the 5GHz one seems to be experiencing issues. I have now simply disabled it, as it isn't useful. I would like to try the new firmware, so that I can use 5GHz. @bobpullen, could you update my firmware?

Vik76ok
Hooked

Ok, so I cannot access 5ghz. And I've been told, via a message on here, and via customer services there is no firmware update! We have to wait for the new router that is allegedly coming out in May/June! Can anyone advise please. I am becoming throughly fed up now.
olieshmade

When will the problem be fixed?

We are working on the problem as a priority. The fix is likely to come in the form of a software/firmware update and will take some time to fully test/deploy.

**We have a reactive workaround that can be applied on a case by case basis. You can request this is applied by posting a reply to this thread containing answers the the questions at the foot of this post.**

1. Major problems over the last few weeks with a new device specifically on the 5GHZ band.

2. Restarting the hub rectifies the issue for a time, no issue with wired connections

3. Merged

4. Yes, persistent once it starts happening until router reboot

5. Related to my device running AX1650 NIC and 5ghz band

6. Fixes for a few hours then reoccurs.

7. See abobe

8. N/A

9. Majority of devices use wifi, have a few wired devices (thermostats, hue system etc)

Please can you install the latest firmware on my router.

adam1330
Hooked

I been having this problem as well, started about a week ago. I have 3 wireless devices using 5ghz, all experience dropped connections whilst using the 5ghz channel, as soon as I turn it off, they then connect fine to the 2.4ghz channel, but if I turn the 5ghz channel on again, when they connect to that they then lose connectivity again.

I'm on firmware .263, any chance my router can be flashed to the latest version please?

lalalaokay

Hello, I would also like this please, still on 263, I'm having to restart my router every day at this point to get 5GHz to work. Thanks in advance @bobpullen 

tllasa

Just thought I'd post my experience here, as it's not been good and may help others. I switched to Plusnet from Sky two months ago. I had the full Sky Q setup with broadband and two mini boxes. Previously had one issue with Sky Q minibox connectivity on Sky which was resolved. Have been with Plusnet previously with no issues.

Shortly after switching to Plusnet, noticed Sky Q was dropping off the network on a regular basis. Being aware that Sky works differently to Plusnet for Sky Q (no longer a fully inclusive network, the main Sky Q box now supplies the feed to the mini boxes rather than the router), I believed my issue lay with the Sky set-up. After two weeks of keep re-connecting Sky and putting up with issues, noticed that my Samsung S9 would lose connection to WiFi and require manual re-connection. 

So then started to explore the router settings and could see devices being routinely kicked off the network, including Sky. Some seemed to be unaffected and 5Ghz the biggest culprit. Rang Plusnet. Got the advice to split channels and how to do this. I then split the channels but then had horrendous time trying to connect Sky Q. Most devices wouldn't see the 5Ghz channel but Sky clearly wasn't stable without being to operate on both. 

Went back to synced channels and again, connection issues with Sky etc. but at least it would connect. Rebooting the router helped the first few times but in the end it just gave up, to the point where I could not connect to the router at all, even the admin side.

Started to consider if I had a router issue (as per these threads) so contacted Plusnet again. Was told, essentially, that they had given all the advice they could and basically as long as I was getting a connection at the wired end of the router, then their contract was met.

Now two months into my contract, decided after reading this forum to chance an unused BT Home Hub 5 I have had in the loft for a few years. Unpacked it, set it up using instructions on here and disabled the Smart Setup option (bands are still synced for Sky Q).

Lo and behold, I have now had three weeks of no connectivity issues, including the full Sky Q setup. 

My reason for posting, is that clearly Plusnet know of these issues, yet despite this (and the fact that Sky Q connection issues can be a red herring in believing Sky to be at fault), we get no help to resolve. I can only imagine someone far less lechnically minded being at their wits end with the issues, considering they would be without Sky and it's services for long periods of time.

I would have directed this complaint direct to Plusnet, however they appear to have no way of submitting a formal complaint. 

If this helps just one person avoid the headaches I've had the last few weeks then it was worth posting...........

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

@tllasa  At the bottom of every webpage there is this link, is that any use to you?

https://www.plus.net/help/legal/complaints-code-of-practice/ 

MixerFistit
Dabbler

@tllasa you have a very similar story to my own.

I left sky 4 months ago and jumped through hoops myself. Fortunately, I have a technical background and could understand what was actually happening.

Even though the actual issue was no longer an issue for me and hasn't been for nearly 2 months I persisted with my complaint with the argument similar to yours in that I'm fortunate that I have experience but many customers must be tearing their hair out chasing shadows due to tech supports poor responses. I was refunded 2 months but made it clear that the main reason for the complaint is for improvement as there must be a lot of customers left frustrated. Some mistakenly believing their home environment is to blame
pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I know someone trough work who has recently ( as in the last 6 months) signed up to plusnet, and as soon as possible they will be off to talk talk or Sky- why?

The reason is that  the  wifi router  is [-Censored-], and keeps dropping out.

I've been with plusnet for a while, and have mostly used my own equipment knowing that isp supplied stuff weasnt the bet, however in recent years ISPs have been selling their services on the supplied hardware.

i wonder how many have left plus net due to [-Censored-] poor hardware?

readyweb

I'm not sure this issue only affects the 5GHz WiFi. We have been using the plusnet one hub for a number of years so far. Today neither of our Android phones will connect to Wifi, either with the 5GHz enabled or not. Neither will they connect to other WiFi routers connected by wire to the PlusNet hub. This was all working OK up until today. The issue appears to be with the DHCP section of the hub rather than the WiFi itself. The phones all say "Failed to optain IP address" when trying to connect.

The only difference with my configuration before today is that yesterday I was connecting a new Ubuntu 20.4 server onto the network. This was refusing to connect using DHCP either despite it working with DHCP when installing the software. I had to revert to using a fixed IP address on the server to get connected.
Now, despite turning off just about every thing I can think of, the two android phones will no longer connect. I've no problem with directly wired devices or with Windows 10, a Roku stick or an Amazon Firestick which all seem to be working on WiFi. It's just the Android devices today. They do no seem to have had any updates on them so not sure what's going on.
The Plustnet hub one is not the greatest of devices. The DHCP can be show to be buggy as it does not always work properly when you try to set a DHCP device as a static IP. Neither does it reliably show the devices that are connected very well.
Is the an alternative hub available as this device seems to be past it's sell by date.