cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
readyweb

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

A follow up to my previous post... I've changes the settings on the android phones to use a static IP instead of DHCP and they now connect and work OK. So the problem definiately appears to be an issue with the DHCP server in ther router not the WiFi itself. A further previous issue I've had with the DHCP in the router is with a HP printer that is wired into the router. After some years of working fine. As its a printer it gets turned on and off frequently. It has, over the prefious year or so, been assigned different IP addresses by the router DHCP despite the router being configured to have is assigned as a static address.
This again points the fact that the DHCP router is buggy.
Hopefully tonight I will rest the router to it's default configuration, try to reload the saved configuration and if that does not fix the issue do a reconguration of the router.
I'm also going to raise this directly with PlusNet to see if a better router is available. We have just recently upgraded our connection with a new contract.
It could be that other peoples issues with android phones connecting could be related and not a problem with the Wifi itself.

MixerFistit
Dabbler

@readyweb

Unfortunately, static ip addresses have no effect on the bug this topic was set up for which only affects the 5 GHz band.

Anyone with issues on both bands has a different (or additional) problem.
SmallVegetables

Hi 

Can I an update pushed please?

Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen?

SV - different devices keep losing the wifi connection when 5GHz enabled

Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub? Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?

SV -  Hub light is always blue. Devices are connected to hub but will then 'drop out' whilst the signal strength on the device still shows good.

Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?

SV - Previously on default setting, now split. 5Ghz removed completely but 2.4 also seems to be unstable.

Once the problem occurs is it persistent? Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?

SV - Yes, persistent once it starts, a small amount of respite if you reboot router, but only hours. No devices wired directly into the router

Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]

SV - No, not sure what triggers it

Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub? If so, how long does it take before problems recur?

SV - A router reboot will provide some benefit, maybe for a few hours (<10) 

If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.

SV - all devices in the home, 2x MacBook pro, 1 x iphone 11, 1 x Galaxy S10, 1 x Imac, 2 x Samsung Smart TVs. Iphone seems to be worst affected but that is the wifes and she is prone to moaning more

Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred?

SV - No

Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points. -

SV - TP-Link TL-WPA4220T powerlines installed plus the devices mentioned above

CVHawkeye
Hooked

@readyweb The DHCP works fine, 2.4Ghz or hardwired for most on firmware .263 works fine. The reason which you may think you have a DHCP problem is likely you could connect to the 5GHz Wifi network but with no further routing downstream to get an IP address from the DHCP or the internet (thats what most user encountered).

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 317

@Kruger @Dricketts31 @dkwarr87 @Kevin12 @JohnB47 @Munkyfaz @Spanners @jarradyardley @Bob76 & @Grahamsant - I've just pushed an update to your respective devices. You'll need to power your router off/back on at your side to apply it.

Hope it helps.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@AndyDe @Fletch1 @Gerry3 @christough97 @Vik76ok @brendonhatcher @NewOrion @IggytheSwott @GlitterChick & @churcher45 - same story - please power your hub off/back on to apply the update.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@andyp476 @yoash @olieshmade @adam1330 @lalalaokay & @SmallVegetables - I've also pushed an update your way. Please reboot to apply it.

@Simon974 wrote:

I've just found this thread recently too and have been having similar problems for months - although mine don't seem to have anything to do with the wifi - it seems to be a router or perhaps even broadband issue (at least for me).

I have all wifi on the plusnet router disabled and have a 3-node Tenda MW6 Mesh network running in bridge mode - so the plusnet router handles all the DHCP addresses and essentially controls the network.

I'm struggling to see how this can be related to the problem being discussed in this thread. Regardless I've pushed the update your way. I'm sceptical about it helping though.

@brockleyse4 - I'm not convinced your problem is related either, I've pushed the update to you regardless. 

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Spanners
Hooked

Thanks so much @bobpullen - You're a star! 

I'll reboot the router and see how I get on. Thanks again!

readyweb

@CVHawkeye With respect the DHCP was not working fine on my router. I've now reset it to factory defaults and reconfigured it more or less back as it was before. This seems to have fixed the issue for now. The reset has also fixed some other anomalies that I was seeing such as the oddities when trying to set to DHCP static address. I've been running this hub for about 5 years now so it had probably got some data misconfigured or corrupted along the way.

adam1330
Hooked

Thanks @bobpullen I'll reboot my router.

NewOrion

@bobpullen wrote:

@AndyDe @Fletch1 @Gerry3 @christough97 @Vik76ok @brendonhatcher @NewOrion @IggytheSwott @GlitterChick & @churcher45 - same story - please power your hub off/back on to apply the update.

Thanks. I rebooted the router and while it shows the same firmware version, it does say that an update was performed today.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

In way of an update...

Following successful pilot, our plan was to proceed with mass-deployment of the release candidate a week or two back. Had we done that, tens of thousands of customers would already have been running an updated firmware build by now.

However (and it pains me to say this!) - a couple of 11th hour issues have since been flagged that warrant further investigation (both cause the hub to crash and restart in certain conditions). I'm under no illusion that these crashes are almost certainly far less prevalent than the problems being discussed in this thread, however it would be ill-advised for us to continue now we have knowledge of them. It was feedback from the Community that helped identify both of these issues (thank you to those involved). 

What this likely means is a delay of at least a month before we can resume the deployment (sorry!).

In the meantime I will do my best to honour upgrade requests that are raised in this thread. Please bear with me though as it's very much dependent on my spare time. Also be mindful that any early upgrade is at your own risk as there's a very slim chance that it may introduce a problem that causes your hub to periodically crash/restart.

I don't think it will take long to overcome this latest hurdle, but it will take some time to test the fix and re-plan the deployment.

Really appreciate everyone's patience. 

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

paul_edwin
Grafter

Thanks, @bobpullen. It's good to know that something's coming and have a rough idea of the timeline. 👍

GlitterChick
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Thank you very much for the update. I’ve rebooted the router, connected my iPhone to the 5 ghz band and will monitor how it goes.
Fletch1

Hi @bobpullen 

Thank you very much for the update. Router rebooted and update installed successfully. I'll monitor over next few days and provide update on findings.