cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
tassky74

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

Hello. Please could you push the update to my device also. Thanks.

1. 5Ghz not connectiong to the internet.

2. Yes, devices are connected but there is no internet.

3. They are split. 2.4ghz works ok. Only 5Ghz has a problem.

4. Yes it's persistent.

5. 5Ghz just never works.

6. Nope. 

7. All devices

8. nope

9. just the standard Plusnet hub.

picklefifi
Hooked

Hi Bob, you sent me the upgrade my my iPhone 11 still drops out after an hour or so, so the upgrade has made little difference
Thanks
Fiona
Simon974
Hooked

@bobpullen
Hi Bob - thanks for pushing the update to me several weeks ago - although I was having the same problems most people on this thread have experienced but not on the wifi side of things, it seemed to make a difference initially, but over the last week it got steadily worse to the point where some devices could not even connect and get an IP address assigned.

I did a full factory reset on the hub and since then it seems to have been flying along and hasn't dropped a connection once. Not sure if this is recommended after every firmware upgrade but seems to have worked for me so far. Fingers crossed and thank you!

@picklefifi - maybe you should try the router reset I have described. Make sure you have your username and password though as I needed to input those into the router settings to get reconnected.

picklefifi
Hooked

@Simon974 thanks, I’ll give that a try!
OLDNBLUE
Hooked

Thank Bob, that seems to have settled things down generally for most devices however I am now having problems with the sky mini boxes dropping connection sporadically. The main Sky Q box is ethernet connected but the two mini boxes rely on WIFI. I don't suppose you or anyone else has come across a fix for this problem.

Thanks again for your help so far.

All the best.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

@OLDNBLUE  I may be wrong but I thought the mini boxes connect directly to the main Sky Q box by wi-fi  but not via the Plusnet router. If that is the case I don't think you can blame Plusnet.

Driver21uk

@bobpullen
I'm having 5ghz problems too.

Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen? Devices connected on 5ghz keep losing connection regularly.

Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub? Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs? Light is blue, seems to be the hub.

Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?
I have split them. Problems only with 5ghz.

Once the problem occurs is it persistent? Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time? Yes, wired connection is fine.

Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]
No

Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub? If so, how long does it take before problems recur? Sometimes, occurs again after 5 or 10 minutes.

If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.

Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred? No

Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points.
Just hub .
Could you send me the update please?
picklefifi
Hooked

@bobpullen @Simon974 I’ve factory reset my router & I still have issues connecting my iPhone & also tested iPad & it drops out. If there’s no actual fix I’ll contact customer services again as I’ve called BT out already who say the line is fine. I’m paying for a service that is costing me additional money because a fault has been identified some time ago & still hasn’t been fixed ... new customers like me have no idea when they switch over
OLDNBLUE
Hooked

That's true, my question is 'is it the wifi that's causing the problem' as there was never a problem before the switch to Plusnet who's router obviously now provides the wifi via which the boxes communicate. If I've missed something happy to be guided.
OLDNBLUE
Hooked

That's true, my question is 'is it the wifi that's causing the problem' as there was never a problem before the switch to Plusnet who's router obviously now provides the wifi via which the boxes communicate. If I've missed something happy to be guided.
Tags (1)
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

@OLDNBLUE  I think you are not understanding what I was trying to say. The wi-fi that the mini box connects to is not the wi-fi from the Plusnet router. See this from the Sky forum from someone asking if the minibox would connect to the broadband wi-fi network.

Assuming Sky is not your broadband provider that will not work as the sky boxes link using their own mesh on 5Ghz and nothing to do with your home WiFi.

So the Plusnet router does not provide the wi-fi to the mini box it comes from the Sky Q box. Why it doesn't work for you I have no idea.

OLDNBLUE
Hooked

Ah, OK I get it now.
I'll seek solutions elsewhere. It just seemed too much of a coincidence for the issues not to be connected.
Thanks for your help.
Chris123
Hooked

Hi @bobpullen ,

It's about a year since you updated me from 263 to 273, and whilst it is undoubtedly an improvement and has allowed me to work from home and the kids to home school, I am still having to reboot the router every one to two weeks as the speed drops to around 2Mbs on the 5GHz (measured by https://speedtest.btwholesale.com/details). In fact as soon as I have finished this I will have to reboot so I can connect to work.

Is there any mileage in me having one of the later test firmware versions, as I was hoping one year on a permanent solution would have been found?

EDIT: After my reboot I was immidiately back up to 26Mbps with a 16ms ping.

Cheers,

Chris

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 317

@rdavison1990 @leedsol @Broadman @Driver21uk @Tomdavies & @tassky74 - I've pushed an update to each of your routers. You will need to power them off/back on to apply it.

@Chris123 - yes, this latest update will fix that issue. I've also pushed the firmware your way.

@picklefifi wrote:
I’m still having the problem with connection my iPhone 11 to the wifi. I have reset my router a couple of times but it only lasts an hour or so before I have to use mobile data instead.

Thanks
Fi

How far away are the iPad and iPhone? Do they report a healthy connection strength when connected successfully?

I would maybe start by completely forgetting and reconfiguring the Wi-Fi details on both devices.

If that doesn't work, then it might be worth trying a full network settings reset on both devices (a spot of Googling should tell you how).

If neither of those things work, then I will try and take a more detailed look at what might be happening when I get the opportunity. 

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

reasdsi

Hi. After reading through a lot of posts on this thread I think I'm suffering from the same issue. Is it possible to get the fix pushed out to my router as well. To answer the questions...

1. Devices connected to 5GHz channel lose connection to internet at least once a day. Devices on 2.4Ghz are ok. Resetting the router restores the connection. Typically we notice the problem around 10am every day but has happened at other times

2. The hub status indicator shows normal/blue when the problem occurs

3. The channels are merged with the same network name. Have identified that only devices on the 5GHz network are affected by checking the router. Have now disabled the 5Ghz channel to try and relieve the issue

4. Happening daily, at least once a day  There are no devices wired to the router

5. Haven't noticed a specific action. The problem is usually noticed around 10am because that is when my partner starts work and their laptop automatically connects to the 5Ghz channel - mine automatically connects to 2.4Ghz. The problem is resolved by rebooting the hub and is usually ok for the rest of the day, though has sometimes reoccurred in the evening

6. Affected - MacBook Air, Samsung A3, Samsung A70, Dell 
    Unaffected - Huwawei P Smart, HP zbook

7. Not that I'm aware of
  8. Just using the Hub One

Thanks in advance for your help