cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub Two in bridge mode

StevieB22
Hooked

Hub Two in bridge mode

I can configure my Plusnet Hub Two in bridge mode but the only routers I have that work with it are either a HH5 and HH4 but neither of the Plusnet Hub One nor the BT Smart Hub 2 I have will connect.  All of them have the Gateway address set to 192.168.0.254.

And all four will work with the OR modem (Huawai model).

I'm at a loss as to what I can try - any help would be appreciated please.

10 REPLIES 10
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 317

Re: Hub Two in bridge mode

How do you have things cabled for each device?

It would also be useful if you can explain why you are wanting to do this, e.g. I'm at a bit of a loss as to why you would want to configure a Smarthub 2 to connect via a Plusnet Hub Two in Bridge mode Huh

The HH5 (is it an 'A' or 'B' model?) and Hub One are very similar devices so it's unusual for one to work, but not the other.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Broadband to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
StevieB22
Hooked

I’m using this arrangement as I live in a long, narrow bungalow where the NTE is located at the front of the house and my computer room is in the loft area which is towards the centre of the building. This means the modem is located next to the NTE and is linked from one of the LAN ports to the red WAN port of the HUB (router), via cat 5 cable, that is located in my computer room, where all my other cat 5 cables are run from.

The HH5 ia a type A, and yes that is why I’m also puzzled as to why the Plusnet Hub One doesn’t connect to the Plusnet Hub Two when in bridge mode.

I hope the collective brains of the Forum can come up an answer.

Thanks, Steve

Baldrick1
Fixes: 428

@StevieB22 

I suspect that the collective brains will tell you that this is not the only way to do it.

What I would do is:

1.Switch off the Hub 2

2. Set the Hub 1 as an Access Point, see https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-a-2nd-Plusnet-Hub1-as-a-Wireless-Access-point/m-p/1385.... Note that this is a seperate activity Do not connect the DSL line whilst doing this.

3. Connect up and switch on the Hub 2 next to the Master socket. Factory reset it by pushing a paperclip in the reset hole. Keep the switch closed until you get a green light. Wait for that to connect to the Internet.

4. Plug your Ethernet cable in to one of the LAN ports of the Hub 2, NOT the WAN port.

5. Take your Hub 1 Access Point and locate it in the middle of the property. Plug the Ethernet cable in to one of the LAN, NOT WAN socket.

It should then work. You can either have both wireless networks available or switch off the Hub 2 wireless in the Advanced/Wireless settings.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Baldrick1

@StevieB22 

A further thought with your currnet arrangement, have you got a pink light on the HUB 2 confirming that it's working as a Bridge Modem?

Moderator and Customer

StevieB22
Hooked

Hi Baldrick1

Thank your for useful suggestion it's certainly worth consideration.

Yes the Hub Two is showing a Pink light when in bridge mode and the DSl cabled is plugged in.

My main point is that the OR modem works flawlessly with the six hubs I have (Hub One, HH5, HH4, HH4r, Hub Two and SH2) but only the HH4 and HH5 will connect to the Plusnet Hub Two in Bridge mode (not tried the HH4r) and, as II said in my reply to Bob Pullen, if the HH5 connects why not the Hub One?  The only explanation I can think of is that the HH5 is a Business version

Steve.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 317

I have a ticket open to investigate some other irregularities with bridge mode on the Hub Two that might address what's going on here. 

That said, I may be misunderstanding the situation here, but why don't you simply continue to use the Huawei modem?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

StevieB22
Hooked

Hi Bob

Thank you for your pertinent comment and that you’ve raised a ticket about the Hub Two in bridge mode, which is what I wanted to bring to the notice of the Forum along with my findings so far.

In the meantime I’m quite happy using the Huawei modem with the Hub Two acting as the router in its default setting.

I just wish  I had some analyser I could use to see what’s going on but I do have an old router, on which I can configure the Internet Connection from its WAN port so I will see what setting works.

Steve

Baldrick1

@StevieB22 

If you go down the original Huawei route and want better WiFi then why not swap the Hub 1 for the Hub 2 in your office, using the WAN socket?

Moderator and Customer

StevieB22
Hooked

Hi Baldrick1

I’d already done what you suggested - great minds and all that!

I would love to know why it only works with certain hubs though.

Steve