cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the Plusnet Hub 2 just plain useless for 2.4ghz connections?

peelywallysnr
Hooked

Is the Plusnet Hub 2 just plain useless for 2.4ghz connections?

For the past few years I have used a BT Smart Hub with my Plusnet broadband for all of my family's work, leisure and gaming needs with zero issues over the 2.4ghz and 5ghz connections. I bought the BT one when our previous Plusnet version died. We have MacBooks, iMacs, iPads, iPhones, Google Nest devices, X-Boxes and one Samsung smart TV connected to this wee router with many of the connected at the same time for different activities (especially in the evening).

Last year Plusnet sent me a Plusnet Hub 2 whcih I though would be a decent upgrade to my steadfast BT router. Plugged in the Plusnet Hub 2 and eveything worked apart from my Samsung TV which is 2.4ghz. Now this TV works no problem with the BT router streaming HD content across all the usual apps such iPlayer, Netflix, YouTube, etc. With the Plusnet Hub 2 it just constantly buffers. Terribly. I tried to configure it last time round to sort this problem to no avail and I reverted back to my wee BT Smart Hub and everything went back to normal.

Today, after reading through various other communtiy posts I though I'd give the Plusnet Hub 2 another chance. I've tried turning off 5ghz and connecting the TV to 2.4ghz first before renabling the 5ghz connection. I've tried chaning the 2.4 ghz channel from Smart to 1 to 6 to 11. I've tried renaming the Plusnet Hub 2 router to the same network name as the BT Smart Hub with the same password for devcies to log onto it. None of these things have worked. The TV stills struggles to stream anything and if it does the resolution is terrible and not the usual HD quality i.e. 1080p resolution that we can normally watch YouTube videos at.

Yet again I have returned to the BT Smart Hub and everything works as should with the TV streaming back to normal. So, is the Plusnet Hub 2 just an utter piece of [-Censored-]? What is the point of Plusnet supplying this thing if it can't provide the same or a better level of connectivity to the older BT Smart Hub (which Plusnet also previouly used)?

11 REPLIES 11
D-J-S

Re: Is the Plusnet Hub 2 just plain useless for 2.4ghz connections?

I have recently moved to Plusnet from BT and I also find the PN router to be awful in comparison with the BT one.  I have even had a replacement issued, but it still gives me issues.  I really have had enough, and I'm stuck with PN for another 22 months.  So disappointed I moved.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 282

@D-J-S That is strange, as the PN Hub2 is merely a re-badged/slight firmware changed version of the BT Home Hub.

John
D-J-S

I know John, it's mystifying.  However, when on the phone to Plusnet, it's just not helping.  Now, I feel like I'm stuck with them for 22 months.  I am now paying for a Broadband service that is not satisfactory.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 282

@D-J-S What issues are you having?

John
James30
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 32

@D-J-S - Most likely the issues lies with the Wi-Fi connection caused by interference and where the router is. Although the hardware is the same as the BT router, there are many more setting in the router that regulate Wi-Fi that can't be seen on the GUI, setting other that the channel number that may well be different that can’t be changed. Feel free to send me some pictures of where the router is and the back of it on here or on a PM and I’ll have a nosy at any improvements that can be made. Cheers

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
James - Plusnet Sheffield
Plusnet Help Team
peelywallysnr
Hooked

Sorry you're having a poor initial experience @D-J-S Sad

I've been with Plusnet for years and this is the first real issue I've had with them. I bought the BT router as I never received the PN equivalent. As I say, it's worked flawlessly for the past 4 or 5 years but then PN sent me their version of the Hub 2 when I renewed 12 months ago. Couldn't get it to work with the Samsung TV ever and went back to the BT router. My contract is up in April and I may well go to Sky then as my family are keen on the TV packages.

peelywallysnr
Hooked

@James30  My router sits 6 foot away from my Samsung TV in the same room. BT router no issues with smooth streaming on all apps. PN router constant buffering on all apps.

D-J-S

Connection speeds are awful.  When I was on BT there were no issues at all.

D-J-S

Hi @James30 ,

My router sits behind the TV as it connected directly to it.  However, at times our other devices can't connect as the speed drops.  When our son is gaming, it's unusable.  We have just come off BT, and never had any of these issues.

In all honesty I would like to leave, as I am not prepared to put up with this for another 22 months.

David

d8smt
Rising Star

Interesting, just commissioned my Hub 2 today (replaced a DLINK router) and finding it's buffering badly on iplayer even though it's ten times the speed of the old connection. I was puzzled but this might be the cause.
peelywallysnr
Hooked

@d8smt I replaced the Plusnet Hub 2 with a BT Hub 2, updated it with my Plusnet logon and everything works perfectly. Definitely something to do with Plusnet Hub 2 configuration.