cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My very variable connection

Ben1
Grafter

My very variable connection

My connection is once again giving me connection problems; the desktop computer is generally fine, but my iPhone and iPad are often very variable or won't connect at all. I have a BT Hub 6, which I have restarted from the web interface. Should I try and get hold of a BT Smart Hub 2? I wonder what I can do to improve matters, thank you.

3 REPLIES 3
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 282

Re: My very variable connection

Right, @Ben1 . My first suggestion - totally shut down and restart the Apple devices, they can, and do, get 'confused' at times.

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 429

@Ben1 

If your PC is OK then this sounds like a WiFi problem.

The Smarthub 2 wireless is no better than the original Smarthub, in fact it has a major disadvantage, that is, you can't separate the bands. Two things to try:

1. Split the bands on the Smarthub. You will find instructions https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85.... Try each band in turn and use the best.

2. Use a WiFi sniffer app, I use WiFi Analyzer on an Android phone. With this 'see' which channels your neighbours are using. Check both at the Hub location and where you use your devices. Manually set, in the Hub advanced wireless settings, a channel that has the lowest transmissions from others at both locations, this can be a bit of a compromise.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Ben1
Grafter

Thank you folks, that gives me something to get my teeth into.

I realise that it could be related to my VPN, which is only active on the desktop iMac. I'm looking into that as well.