cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NAS not visible on Hub 1 network map

Gamichea
Dabbler

NAS not visible on Hub 1 network map

Back in August 2020 I relegated my Hub 1 to just providing internet connection to a Linksys dd-wrt router which has no inbuilt modem. The Hub 1 ethernet connection to the wired network and its dual ethernet connections direct to the Asustor NAS all moved from the Hub1 to the Linksys and everything continued to work as it should. After a while I substituted the Hub 1 with an Openreach modem as part of a process of elimination with an unrelated issue I had. This just required the Linksys connection type to be changed from from DHCP auto configuration to PPPoE with the plusdsl.net sign on moving from the Hub 1 to the Linksys.

I now need to revert from the modem to the Hub 1 and had a trial run today of putting everything back on the Hub1 to ensure I have a fall back in case reverting the Linksys to DHCP auto configuration does not go smoothly. This seemed to go well and everything on the ethernet and the NAS were visble across the network except on the Hub 1 network map where the NAS did not show up. There is no question it was connected because files thereon could read and written and it was visible in Windows Explorer. Nothing at all appeared on the network map beneath Hub 1 ethernet ports 2 & 3 to which the NAS is attached. All the devices attached to the ethernet showed up on ethernet port 1 and a temporarily attached laptop showed up on ethernet port4, all of which was correct

I also need to acces the NAS as administrator and for that I need its IP address which it obtains automatically from the router it is connected to and which I was expecting to get from the Hub 1 network map. I do not remember this issue arising when the NAS was previously attached to the Hub 1 or to its Plusnet predecessor. Any suggestions as to what I need to do to get Hub 1 to display the NAS IP address or where else I might find it would be much appreciated.

6 REPLIES 6
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 88

Re: NAS not visible on Hub 1 network map

Hi,

you do not need to see the NAS drive on the Hub One network map to be able to connect to it, however if the NAS is set to DHCP then I'd expect to see it.

Devices with a static IP may not appear in the network map.

Have you checked the DHCP allocation table found in >Advanced Setting >DHCP Table ?

An IP LAN scanner might be helpful to see if the NAS drive has an IP address on your network, many Apple/Android versions available, search for IP scanner wither in Play or apple store.

HTH

Gamichea
Dabbler

Hi @Dan_the_Van 

The NAS is set to DHCP and it has a static IP on the Linksys so I'm guessing (can't remember now) it had one on the Hub 1 which maybe remembers it still after a couple of years inactivity.

I completely forgot/missed the existence of the DHCP table on the Hub 1. Ho hum 🙄.

I'll get an IP scanner just in case the DHCP table doesn't oblige, reassemble the Hub 1 network and see what's what.

Many thanks

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

If you are moving between routers it might be best to turn the NAS off before connecting it to the Hub One. It could be the NAS is not seeing the new network.
Dan
Gamichea
Dabbler

@Dan_the_Van I don't generally bother with power on/off when moving ethernet cables but I'll bear that in mind, thanks.

I've realised entering arp -all in the Win command prompt will give me a list of LAN IPs which curiously shows static IPs I've set on the Linksys as dynamic even though the dd-wrt control panel confirms them as static. IPs shown as static belong to private networks and are presumably baked into the router configuration file.

Entering ipconfig in the Win command prompt tells me the static IP I've assigned via the Linksys to the PC I'm using is "(Preferred)". That's new to me.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

@Gamichea 

As you have a windows PC you could try https://www.advanced-port-scanner.com/ 

Handy application lists IP addresses found on your LAN and TCP/UDP ports the devices are listening on. I find it more reliable than arp for finding active devices on your network.

HTH

Gamichea
Dabbler

@Dan_the_Van belated thanks for that. Miles better than arp for useability and the fact it sees beyond the router to other network nodes. Would be nice if it could see the gateway too.