cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Hub 2 router bought from eBay - do I need to do anything at account level?

CMorgan

New Hub 2 router bought from eBay - do I need to do anything at account level?

Hi,

I got a BNIB Hub 2 router from eBay since the Hub 1 was ancient and had terrible wifi.

I followed instructions to reset the device and update the account info in the router before connecting to the active broadband. It's now working great.

Do I need to do anything else, like associate the serial number of the router to my account somehow?

6 REPLIES 6
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 282

Re: New Hub 2 router bought from eBay - do I need to do anything at account level?

@CMorgan 'Do I need to do anything else, like associate the serial number of the router to my account somehow?'

Yes - the quickest way is probably to call Plusnet and advise them.

John
Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: New Hub 2 router bought from eBay - do I need to do anything at account level?

@jab1 

Why would @CMorgan need to do that?

They have already said that the new Hub2 is now "working great" and it is obviously their own property, so no need for Plusnet to know about it? Doesn't informing them also run the risk that they might believe that it is actually "on loan" from them and ask for it back if the OP moves ISPs in the future?

These forums are full of posts about Plusnet customers using their own third party routers. Not once have I seen any advice to inform PN about them.

I know that FTTP ONT's have to have their serial numbers registered with the ISP to work, but this is different.

Personally, I think I would keep quiet and not say anything to Plusnet.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

Being able to push firmware to it if needed for a start.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
jab1
Legend

@Mr_Paul So far as I am aware, PN amortise the cost of the Hub over the life of a contract, and do not ask for it back. My reason for suggesting the OP registers it to their account is based on comments I have seen from the guru on here regarding upgrades to the firmware - if it is registered to another account, but not in use on that account , then it is not on the platform, and will not receive upgrades.

John
Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

@dvorak @jab1 

Thanks for the correction, I wasn't aware of that.

I thought that routine updates were "broadcast" across the network to be picked up by all compatible devices. Obviously not?

I have only been with Plusnet for about a year. Prior to that I was with BT since they started doing broadband, (ex employee), and was led to believe by the relevant people there that BT Hub updates were "broadcast" to all devices, so assumed that Plusnet was the same.

jab1
Legend

I thought that routine updates were "broadcast" across the network to be picked up by all compatible devices. Obviously not?

If they are not associated with the account they are being used on, they don't show on the management platform, and thererfore will not pick up the updates.

John