cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New (Wi-Fi 6) modem router

Inquisixion

New (Wi-Fi 6) modem router

howdy folks,

apologies if i post this in the wrong section, but this one seemed like the right one to me. so, i have just built my shiny new gaming PC and have a TP link Wi-Fi 6 card in it (this one - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09VPQ6NP6?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details). since i still have the Hub 1 i am going to replace it with a Wi-Fi 6 modem router (thinking of this one - https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-DSL-AX82U-802-11ax-Accelerator-Forwarding/dp/B08X2Q29XN). even though i am willing to pay for my internet speed i am not sure i want to spend £200+ right now, so my question is - does anyone know any good (but cheaper) Wi-Fi 6 modem router that i could get instead of the ASUS one?

also, the Wi-Fi signal in our house is ridiculously bad. my router is literally 10 feet from my PC, but since the signal needs to go through a thick brick wall it is horrible. a simple wall should not be a problem IMHO, but in my case it is. even getting a mobile phone signal in our house is something unheard of most of the time. wife told me that if i run a cable through the hall to my gaming room she will kick my... behind, so i am using Wi-Fi extender at the time and that helped a lot. so the new modem router is just a part of the planned Wi-Fi upgrade, i have already bought a new Wi-Fi 6 extender, which is why i am looking for a Wi-Fi 6 modem router..

any and all info/help will be much appreciated..

8 REPLIES 8
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Re: New (Wi-Fi 6) modem router

To save your behind, are power line adapters an option?
A cabled connection is always preferable for PC gaming, with power line adapters second (if applicable in your circumstances).
That's RPM to you!!
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 60

@Inquisixion 

Any chance of drilling through the wall?

Either drill large enough to feed a connected cable through or feed a cable through and connect an ethernet plug afterwards.

The holes can be covered using "Brush Wall Plates" - search Amazon for these.

Brian

Inquisixion

@RPMozley 

i tried them as soon as we finished with the "home improvement" (we basically stripped our house to bare walls and rebuilt it from the ground up). before that i was "allowed" to run a cable (was with Virgin for their FTTP, but they su... ehm, they are not a good provider). they (the power line adapters) worked. at first. for a couple of months i was a happy gamer. then they were not working any more. what i mean by that the adapters were OK, lights were on, i did not change a thing but one day my internet was gone and nothing i did made it come back. for whatever reason. so i had to go with Wi-Fi. so if you have any idea how to get the power line adapters working again i will owe you a beer. or two. or as many as you like..

Inquisixion

@bmc 

nope. when i tried to entertain the very idea it was dismissed by the boss, i mean by my wife. "nonononono, i do NOT want to see cables or anything resembling cables in my hall" was her reaction. so that is, sadly, not an option.

p.s.: it may seem like my wife is not happy about my gaming, but that is not true. i am the luckiest man alive, have the best wife on the planet and she is perfectly fine with me firing up my shiny new gaming PC and sitting in my gaming room the whole day. she just spent weeks planning our home refurbishment, it now looks as close to her perfect home as possible and there is no way she will allow a cable to spoil all of that..

RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

If you could provide the make and model number of the power line adapters, people here on the community may be able to assist with getting them working again.
That's RPM to you!!
Inquisixion

@RPMozley 

sadly, those adapters are long gone now (been with Plusnet for over 2 years now and i used the power line adapters with Virgin, that was before i joined Plusnet). i could get new adapters, have actually been contemplating just that recently, but what i'm afraid of is the fact that something made the old ones not work, i haven't a clue what it was and don't want to buy new ones just to see them not working. like i've mentioned, i didn't change anything, they (the old power line adapters) were working one day and not working the next. i tried everything i could think of (even asking on Virgin forums) to no avail. nobody could find any reason why was my internet gone all of a sudden. some people have suggested rewiring the electric cables, but that is something i don't think i need (had a guy from my power company in the house about a year ago, he said that the cables were fine) and don't want to do just to improve my internet, only to see that it still isn't working (the same people have also mentioned that it was the last thing they could think of and it was basically a shot in the dark). so even though i am willing to buy the power line adapters again i don't want to deal with the hassle of returning them because they don't fix my issue..

(i know, i am a pest, but i really do want to get the most out of my internet speed)

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 60

@Inquisixion 

Ah, I misunderstood. I thought it was just through one wall to the next room - not across the hallway as well.

Powerline adapters are the way to go as you know they work. Get a good quality pair capable of high speeds. Others might be aboe to give recommendations.

A Hail Mary might be to take an ethernet cable outside, up and along the wall and then down into the gaming room. Wall sockets at either end.

Brian

markhawkin
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 14

@Inquisixion 

While I can't recommend one from personal experience, it sounds like you want a WiFi mesh system.

Others will be able to suggest good choices but some mesh systems will have Ethernet out at the remote units and will give better coverage and speeds than Plusnet's hub.

The Hub 1 can't be set to be a modem only (if you renew with Plusnet you could have a Hub 2 which can) but it is still possible to use mesh systems with a Hub 1.

I am the satisfied customer....