Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Hub Two with smart devices

Bleakers64
Grafter

Plusnet Hub Two with smart devices

Dear all,

I am near the end of my basic unlimited broadband contract and have been tempted to upgrade to fibre by a good offer in a retention email.

Consequently, I’ve been posted a brand new Hub Two, sooper…. Plug it all in and away we go you would think?. I wish.

Phones, iPad, sky, hive, great.

However none of my Woox smart plugs or Wiz bulbs will reset and connect properly. These devices need an assigned 2.4 GHz channel, not a mixed broadcast channel, as confirmed by both helpdesks.

So, been into the admin section on the Hub Two and you can’t assign different names to the two channels. What.?Huh

Given I needed to get them working tonight, I’ve pulled the Hub Two for tonight and reconnected the Hub One.

I have read on other posts that it may be possible to switch off the 5GHz channel, set the plugs and bulbs up with the new SSID, then re-enable the 5GHz channel. Has anyone done this successfully? If not, what’s the plan? 
I like the idea of faster speeds, but the faff this is causing is frustrating? Do other providers have a router that can have separate channels?

Very tempted to chuck the damn thing out of the window just now even if I’m reasonably competent…..

8 REPLIES 8
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 317

Re: Plusnet Hub Two with smart devices

My first suggestion would be to try temporarily disabling the 5GHz radio as you have mentioned.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Bleakers64
Grafter

Thanks for the reply Bob, I guess I was hoping for something a bit more positive, someone has tried it and succeeded etc. Or frankly no it doesn’t work and I need a different router or sell all the smart plugs etc…

I’ll have a go tomorrow, but was hoping to have some idea of likely success…

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 317

Sorry, I've no personal experience with the smartplugs or bulbs you're using.

I do have a few 2.4GHz only devices on my network, including some smartplugs, but they seem to deal with the merged SSIDs without issue.

My smartbulbs operate via a wired bridge, so the hub SSIDs are nothing to do with their operation.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Baldrick1
Fixes: 429

@Bleakers64 

See this and the following post for another option. https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/Separate-Bands-with-a-Smarthub-2-or-Pl...
If you want the same wireless performance as a Hub Two with the capability to split the bands then get an original BT Smarthub, sometimes called Smarthub 6, they are cheap on auction sites. Avoid the later Smarthub 2 as they, like the Hub Two, have locked synchronised bands. You will find setting instructions pinned at the top of this board.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 88

Another suggestion would be buy a newer product such a router only and put the hub two in modem mode
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 439

There's a few threads on the BT forums that suggest that temporarily disabling the 5ghz band does work

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/Smart-plugs-bulbs/td-p/2073356

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/Reconnect-2-4GHz-smart-plug-to-5GHz-router-can-...

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/Re-Smart-Plug-Connection/td-p/1897934

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

It worked with my central heating system.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Bleakers64
Grafter

So, dear all, thank you for your comments.

The Woox plugs and Wiz light don’t operate via a bridge like the Hive, they connect to Wi-Fi directly. They both need a clean 2.4GHz channel for setup. So, as suggested, knock off the 5GHz channel, remove everything from the various apps, one at a time, reentering my Wi-Fi password each time for each item reconnected. What a drag.

However it seems to have worked, the plugs and lights are reconnected and with 5GHz turned back on they are responding properly…

Maybe need to be a bit more patient….🤔😳