cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet fttp full fibre with Ubiquiti USG - Setup

4candles

Plusnet fttp full fibre with Ubiquiti USG - Setup

If I upgrade to full fibre can I use my own hardware straight from ONT instead of Hub2 router? in this instance my HW is a Ubiquiti USG. (i.e. just plug ethernet cable from ONT into USG)

What settings do I need to put in my USG? i.e. PPPoE/DHCPv4? DNS? Username/Password? etc…

thanks

16 REPLIES 16
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: Plusnet fttp full fibre with Ubiquiti USG - Setup

@4candles 

If the USG has a WAN port then yes, just plug it in.

Required settings can be found here

https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/

I assume you're aware you lose your phone number if you upgrade.

Brian

4candles

hi bmc, thanks for the info. I'm not bothered about my phone number but I hope email is retained. I was just reading this post and it suggests that I would not lose my emails etc:-

https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/e-mail-address-on-upgrade-to-FTTP/td-p/1888839

my email isn't @ force9 but @ plus if that makes a difference

also aren't those settings in the link for fttc not fttp? thanks

Baldrick1
Fixes: 429

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from  Broadband to My Router

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 438

@4candles  also aren't those settings in the link for fttc not fttp? thanks

Technically yes, for FTTP you can ignore everything apart from the PPPoE username & password

Looking at this https://community.ui.com/questions/How-much-can-USG-handle/eeb661dc-37fe-420e-8d20-05995566e75b be careful if you are going for one of the faster Full fibre products and have any QOS set as it will limit the throughput.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

4candles

thanks @MisterW , so for plusnet fttp you still use PPPoE & your plusnet user/pass, I ask because I have read elsewhere that bt & sky use DCHP and a generic user/pass for everyone

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@4candles yes, its still PPPoE with your user/password

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

terryd1980

I have a USG 4 Pro and have just had Plusnet's full fibre connected. I have not been able to get my USG to connect to the internet at all.
Can anyone take a screenshot of theirs (minus the PPPoE login details) so I can see what I'm doing wrong?
I have set the DNS the same as the PlusNet router, VLAN ID (802.1q) to 101 but there is no VLAN ID (802.1p) option to set to 0.
It's throws me out every time and I've had to remove it temporarily. I have a PlusNet Hub 2 which currently gets me connected but I've lost way too much functionality.
Any help would be appreciated.
Tags (4)
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@terryd1980  you need to disable vlan Id. , it's not used for fttp

terryd1980

I'll give that a try, thanks @MisterW
markharro12

I have a similar question. I am about to get FFTP installed. I already have the Hub2. I want to buy the Unifi Dream Router to start building a more sophisticated network. Can I plug the UDR straight in to the ONT box and avoid having to use the Hub2 at all? This would be my preference as that would be one less box to power?

If so how do I set up the UDR so it works and I get internet?

Are there any downsides to not using the Hub 2 in this set up?

thanks

terryd1980

Yes this is possible, all you will need is the PPPoe username and password. I haven't tried mine yet but I trust the good folk above and will get mine sorted shortly.

markharro12

Thanks that sounds encouraging. Will I get this PPPoe username and password when the FFTP is installed?

Be good if someone could provide an idiots guide on how you use this info to configure the UDR.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 282

@markharro12 The 'username and password' you are looking for is your PN 'accountname@plusdsl.net' -without the quotes, and your account password.

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@markharro12  you already have it. Its your accountname followed by @plusdsl.net and the password is the one you use to login to the member centre