cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port Forwarding - allowed and not allowed ?

C1Rider
Grafter

Port Forwarding - allowed and not allowed ?

Time for my yearly post(s) !

Are ports filtered at PlusNet HQ ?  If so, is there a list somewhere of the ports ? 

I ask as up until yesterday morning I had been receiving some ports OK; now I am not receiving the same ports.

My settings here have not been changed; my router is a PN Hub 2 and is set for automatic update.

I can receive the ports if I place my device into DMZ.

I'm curious to know the reason.

Regards..

10 REPLIES 10
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Re: Port Forwarding - allowed and not allowed ?

There is a PlusNet Broadband firewall available but if you didn’t know about it before then it is unlikely to be switched on. Just for your interest it can be found in the PlusNet portal->broadband section.

What kind of device is requiring the ports be opened? Has it been updated recently around the time you noticed this problem?
That's RPM to you!!
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 438

can receive the ports if I place my device into DMZ.

if thats the case then the broadband firewall cant be blicking them

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 88

Other than the Hub Two, do you have any other routers on your network with a second IP address range?

What ports are you saying are being blocked, can you show some evidence of the event?

Dan. 

C1Rider
Grafter

RPM, I checked the broadband firewall and it is set to the default [ low ] with no additional settings.
I'm using a RPI4 as an access point to extend coverage.

Thanks for the reply..
C1Rider
Grafter

MisterW, If I'm receiving in DMZ and not receiving outwith DMZ does that not mean the firewall is working ?

Thanks for the reply..
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 438

No, Dmz is implemented on the router , it's nothing to do with the broadband firewall, that's implemented at plusnet. The dmz basically means that all unsolicited input is directed at the machine in the dmz.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

C1Rider
Grafter

Dan_the_Van, I have a Rpi4 as an access point using 10.*.*.* range on one port and 192.168.*.* [ single ip ] on the other.

Checking the traffic today I see that I am back to receiving as I was two days ago so I have removed my device from the DMZ and will check it again later today.
I have not made any changes between yesterday and today other than the DMZ change a few minutes ago.

Internet <-----> router ip <-----> router <-----> lan ip <-----> device ip <-----> device
Originally not in DMZ device ip receiving OK

Yesterday not in DMZ device ip not receiving OK ( no changes made )

Yesterday device in DMZ, receiving OK

Today device in DMZ, receiving OK

Thanks for the reply..
C1Rider
Grafter

MisterW, Thanks for that., I've wrongly assumed that DMZ bypasses the firewall when it fact it bypasses the router.

Regards..
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 88

@C1Rider 

Is there are requirement for you to have two networks? As the current configuration has introduced double NAT to the devices using the pi4 as a wifi access point?

double NAT can cause some confusions with port mappings.

In the past I have used RasAP which gives the option to use the pi4 in bridge mode, this way all device on your network share the same IP Address range as the Hub's DHCP server.

https://docs.raspap.com/ 

HTH

C1Rider
Grafter

Dan_the_Van,  It's raspAp that I am using but not in bridge mode.

At the moment Ethernet is 192.168.*.*/32  and WiFi is 10.*.*.*/24 with masquerade.

I have the device back in DMZ and it's working OK at the moment so my curiosity will remain.

Onwards and upwards as they say.

Regards..