Re: Bt smart hub and disc on plusnet

FIXED
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 438

Re: Bt smart hub and disc on plusne

Good idea

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Seanbont
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Thanks all

I'm clearly doing something wrong.

The bt hub is completely unplugged apart for power.
I reset it until it flashed purple.
I accessed the advanced settings.
Entered the broadband user name as
Sean______@plusdsl.net
Password as per plusnet account.
Save
Then I get a screen asking me to unplug any ethernet from port 4. There is nothing other than power plugged in so I click yes.
It then restarts.
When it restarts it has reverted to bthomehub@btbroadband.com
I tried a different password taking out special characters and it still did the same.
I've searched on line and this clearly is down to me but there must a setting that I am missing that is directing it back. Appreciate everyone's patience with me but I'm at a loss with this. Its not a new smart hub. I've had it since Jan 2019 so I can't see why it's doing anything different to anyone else.

Thanks
Sean

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 317

@MisterW wrote:

@bobpullen before we beat our heads against a brick wall here, are you aware of any reason why the FTTP variant of the BT Smart Hub 2 will not accept a PN username ?

Should be fine.

I would ignore any prompts to fiddle with port 4 cables/reconfigure/restart the hub.

The BT firmware will support operation in FTTP and non-FTTP mode. It will need to be configured in FTTP mode as per screengrab below.

When it is switched between modes, it may reset the PPP credentials when the changes are written to memory. Perhaps that is the issue here i.e. the port 4 prompt/restart is reverting the change that has been made to the username?

Screenshot 2023-08-04 125535.png

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

When it is switched between modes, it may reset the PPP credentials when the changes are written to memory. Perhaps that is the issue here i.e. the port 4 prompt/restart is reverting the change that has been made to the username?

@bobpullen its certainly an idea , thanks Bob

@Seanbont as an experiment , maybe try turning FTTP mode off, then see if it will save the PN username. Then try turning FTTP mode back on and check the username, then finally connect to port 4.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 429

@Seanbont wrote:
........Then I get a screen asking me to unplug any ethernet from port 4. There is nothing other than power plugged in so I click yes.
It then restarts.
When it restarts it has reverted to bthomehub@btbroadband.com

This is obviously the problem, the 'restart' must be factory resetting it.

As well as the other suggestions:

Are you using port 4 to connect your computer to the Hub? If it's in FTTP mode I believe that this is the WAN port so could be the problem. In FTTP  mode only use a LAN socket, Not the WAN. Alternatively, try connecting to it when in FTTP mode wirelessly rather than using an Ethernet connection.

Please don't lose heart, it's not you doing anything wrong, we are breaking new ground here.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Yes, that's probably it! The default mode is DSL, so even though it is already in FTTP mode, because you are changing the username on the same screen as the Mode, it looks like it 'thinks' a change to the mode is required and so 'factory resets' , thus reverting to the default username.

My earlier test of changing the username in DSL mode should prove it ( or not )

If that is the case, I'm not sure there's any way around it in FTTP mode....

Seanbont
Dabbler

Hi.
Just tried. Turned off fttp mode to status off and updated username/password.
Clicked save. It took me to a slightly different page but essentially the same message re port 4.
Clicked yes which triggered a restart.
Username reverted to bt broadband.

Sorry it didn't work
Sean
Seanbont
Dabbler

There doesn't appear to be any way to save updated credentials outside of the restart process which appears to reset the username.
Seanbont
Dabbler

Sorry missed the earlier question.
I've been connecting wireless with a phone to the hub to do the updates.
Please dont tell me this could be the issue.
Baldrick1

@Seanbont wrote:
Just tried. Turned off fttp mode to status off and updated username/password.
Clicked save. It took me to a slightly different page but essentially the same message re port 4.
Clicked yes which triggered a restart.
Username reverted to bt broadband.

There's someting screwy here. We know that these hubs work in FTTC mode. Try it in stages.

1. Turn off FTTP mode, save and check whether it survives a power cycle.

2. If it does enter your Plusnet credentials and see if they survive a power cycle.

3. If it does try re-enabling FTTP mode and see if that survives a power cycle.

4. If it does then plug in the WAN lead.

If it fails advise at which step it falls over.

Moderator and Customer

Seanbont
Dabbler

Step 1 worked
Step 2 didnt
Fttp status remained off but username reverted.
Baldrick1

@Seanbont 

Are you certain that there's no other Internet connection in your house, for example the phone that you are using to set up the Smarthub isn't connected over the mobile network?

Moderator and Customer

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 317

This is an FTTP service so the SH2 needs to be in FTTP mode.

1. Disconnect all cables from the hub 

2. Factory reset the hub by inserting something into the pinhole at the rear of the device until the status light flashes green

3. Once restarted, connect a device to the hub (preferably wirelessly) and then log into the GUI and navigate to Advanced > Broadband

4. Check the hub is in FTTP mode i.e. the toggle is 'ON'. If it is not, then enable it, accept the prompts and allow the hub to restart

5. Navigate back to the same page after the restart, ensuring the toggle is still set to 'ON'

6. Overwrite the username and password and click Connect (not much will happen)

7. Connect an ethernet cable beween LAN4/WAN and the LAN port on you ONT

8. Wait

After updating the username/password there should be nothing to Save, you just need to click Connect to store the connection credentials to memory.

@Seanbont wrote:
I then clicked save... 

I wouldn't expect there to be a 'Save' button if all you are doing is changing the credentials.

@Seanbont wrote:
I unplugged the dsl cable... 

I suspect this was just confusion concerning the naming of the cables, but to be absolutely clear, you shouldn't be using a DSL cable and nothing should be attached to the Broadband port on the router. You should be using a single ethernet cable between LAN4/WAN and a LAN port on the Openreach ONT.

sh2.png

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Seanbont
Dabbler

Thanks Bob

The problem I have is that the connect option disappears as soon as you edit the Username and password.

https://community.plus.net/t5/media/gallerypage/user-id/123668/album-id/40630/image-id/43798i3359291...

It changes to save. Which then takes me to the restart page. Apologies if I'm missing a step or doing something wrong.

https://community.plus.net/t5/media/gallerypage/user-id/123668/album-id/40630/image-id/43799i4CD7EEE...

Then once I get through that process it resets the username back to btbroadband.

Where we live there is no mobile signal so the only connection is via our broadband. I've disconnected the new plusnet hub and the old bt hub all with no joy. The hub appears to be locked to btbroadband.

Thanks
Sean
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Seanbont that doesn't look like the page Bob posted above,  you need to go via the advanced settings I think ?