Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steam Deck not connecting to router

nibbles
Dabbler

Steam Deck not connecting to router

Hi 

I've got a new steam deck and it won't connect to my plus net router.  I've got full fibre and a plusnet 2 router.  I can connect to my phone via hotpot and I've connected to my parents virgin router both with no issues but the steam deck will not connect to my router at all.  The password is correct(I've tried numerous times in case I'd got it wrong).  And I've looked on various steam deck forums but nothing.   

Has anybody else had issues with connecting their steam deck to a plusnet router and in particular the plusnet 2 router. 

Thanks in advance. 

John 

Tags (2)
9 REPLIES 9
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 88

Re: Steam Deck not connecting to router

Hello,

My son in law has no problems connecting his Steam deck to my hub two, usually to 5Ghz. I have made no changes to the Hubs default wireless settings.

Does the steam deck report any error message or just doesn't connect?

From the Hubs home page navigate to >Advanced Settings> Technical Log >Event Log you might see the Steam Deck attempting to connect? 

You could try turning off the 5Ghz wireless signal to see if that helps and if it does switch 5Ghz back on.

There is one setting which might help, >Advanced settings >Wireless

See if Wireless Mode: Mode 2 helps

Dan. 

nibbles
Dabbler

Thanks.  None of that worked I'm afraid.  Switched everything and looked at the logs and nothing in the logs to say it connected.   Worked fine and connect to my parents at the weekend so I could set it up but won't connect to my wi-fi.  So something about my wi-fi it doesn't like.   

What channels are you using?  

Thanks 

nibbles
Dabbler

Have you got any firewall port forwardings or firewall disabled?   

Thanks 

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

The firewall is on and no port forwarding rules for the steam deck are set, currently the channels are 11 and 36

I would not expect port forwarding rules not being created preventing the deck from connecting to the wireless network.

If it has an RJ45 wired port, does it work then? 

Did you try turning off the 5Ghz wireless?

nibbles
Dabbler

mm I've got a port forwarding for the xbox don't know if that is causing an issue.    My 2.4Ghz is set to 1 not 11 I wonder if that could be an issue although I would have thought others wireless devices would have an issue as well if it was that.  I switched off 5ghz last week and made no difference.  It doesn't have a RJ45 port.  I've got a USB-c hub kicking around somewhere I might have to try although I suspect since wi-fi works at my parents it would work with it also.   

greygit1
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Out of interest...

Does your contract with PlusNet have your son-in-law listed as a permitted user of your connection?

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

@nibbles 

Is the Deck seeing your plusnet wireless network in the list along with adjacent ones? It should list the strongest signal which could be either 2.4 or 5 GHz, the deck should be able to connect to either.

Have you tried changing the Wireless Mode to 2 as suggested before?

The fact you have port forwarding rules for your Xbox will have no relation to the ability for the deck to connect via wireless.

@greygit1 

Oh dear! Sometimes it's better to say nothing, rather than something. It's when my daughter and husband (son in law) come to visit, they stay within the boundary of the address the contract with plusnet covers.

nibbles
Dabbler

There is only one signal for the router in the  wi-fi options and it is very strong (5 bars).   I tried both mode 2 and 3 and no success.  Yep don't sorry I'd have been amazed if the xbox forwarding would affect it.

I've even tried switching off the firewall in case its been blocked somehow but with no success.  
Told it to forget my wif-i and tried connecting again but no success either. 

Its the only device that is having issues with my wi-fi but as I said its connected both my phone wi-fi hotspot and my parents virgin hub.  

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

This is very odd, what if you move away from the Hub to see if a weaker signal helps (not sure why it would). Not having a deck and not seeing my son in law for a while I can't look at one myself.

Try this, turn off the Hub Two's wireless and make the phone hotspot to have same wireless name and password as the Hub uses, hopefully it will connect.

If that works revert back to the Hub Two, make sure you remember to turn the hotspot off

HTH