Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turning off the Hub1 at night?

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 18

Turning off the Hub1 at night?

With the cost of energy going beyond all reasonableness shortly and the energy firms rubbing their hands together with glee, we've got to find a way to save money on the leccy bill.

The TV no longer goes into standby at night. That got me wondering about our Hub One router..

What happens to our line speed if it is turned off every night and back on in the morning? What happens if it's not used for several days?

@bobpullen @Gandalf @JonoH 

Thanks

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
4 REPLIES 4
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 317

Re: Turning off the Hub1 at night?

Hard to say. Maybe nothing if you're line's pretty stable.
If it isn't though, then the forced disconnects from powering the router off may contribute to the threshold triggers that cause Openreach's DLM platform to adjust your speed, increase SNR targets and apply other configuration to your line to cause it to favour stability over speed.
The power consumption for a Hub One is below. I'll leave others to advise what this translates to in real term energy costs, but I imagine leaving it on 24/7 equates to tens of pounds over an entire year.
Power consumption measured in Active Mode: 9.69 W.
Power consumption measured in Standby Mode: 5.80 W.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Ian06
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

As @bobpullen  says it's a little difficult to predict the impact on things like DLM.   For a time when I was on FTTC with a hub 1 I was turning the router off every night (to see if it improved the DLM response.)  In my case it seemed to have a +ve impact and my line sync speeds improved a bit.  I put this down to the radio interference being worse at night and causing DLM to determine a lower top speed when the connection was up all night with much higher noise levels. (especially as all DLM resets seem to be in the 1am to 3am window.)  In the end I swapped the Hub 1 for a BT smart hub 2 and both the sync speeds and WiFi strength improved so I stopped turning the router off at night.

I have since moved to FTTP (on EE) and with the cost of power going up and up have decide to turn the Router off at night. With FTTP there is a separate modem (ONT) which we leave on all the time... I estimate turning the router and an ethernet hub off at night probably saves about 10W for around 10hrs.  There seems to be no real impact to me of doing this and it save some money. I did read somewhere a suggestion that powering the power adapter off each night at the wall plug might shorten the life of the power adapter but not sure I am convinced of that.   I am still using the BT smart hub 2 that I got from an online auction site for £20.     In some ways I wish I had waited a little longer for Plusnet to support FTTP as I think their support and this forum are actually pretty good.  Will have to wait and see where things stand in a couple of years when my EE contract is up.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 439

I estimate turning the router and an ethernet hub off at night probably saves about 10W for around 10hrs. 

So at current rates for leccy ( say 27p/kWh ) that going to save slightly less than £10/yr.

I did read somewhere a suggestion that powering the power adapter off each night at the wall plug might shorten the life of the power adapter but not sure I am convinced of that.

Power supplies are most stressed at switch on due to surge current. So turning off at night increases the number of times the psu is under stress conditions.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 317

Relevant article.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵