cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using previous backup of settings for new router, possible?

longedge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Using previous backup of settings for new router, possible?

Long story short, I'm seeing brief disconnections 3 or 4 times a month on my full fibre connection. I queried it and a Qube engineer came out and found nothing wrong but said I was being sent a new router "just in case". I got the router but I'm disabled and swapping it over is a really daunting task as I need to go up into my loft also I've got various devices on static addresses so it's sitting unopened on my desk at the moment. I'm being asked to return the old router so I need to do something about it I suppose.

Does anybody know if it is possible to use a backup from my current router to transfer all the settings to my new one? I'm thinking particularly of SSID, Passwords and DHCP settings in respect of static addresses and auto allocated range.

5 REPLIES 5
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 88

Re: Using previous backup of settings for new router, possible?

Hi,

One of the dangers of a backup/restore is if there are any configuration issues with the device being backed up, they will restored to the restore target, also note you can only backup/restore to the same model of Hub, (hub one to hub one, hub two to hub two) as you are Full Fibre then I expect you have a Hub Two?

There are no problems with changing the new Hub SSID and password to match your current device or to make any changes to DHCP settings.

I would recommend using a wired connection to make changes.

HTH

longedge
Aspiring Pro

I bit the bullet and made use of family visitors to swap the router over. As so often happens, I had far less problems than I feared and they were quickly corrected by temporary connection with an ethernet cable to security cameras.

I've got zero expectation that the new router will make any difference to the underlying problem though i.e. short disconnections 2 or 3 times a month.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 88

Great you've managed to replace the Hub.

I have the same expectations as you, next time it fails post an exported copy of the event log on this thread, hopefully it might point to what problem you are getting.

You'll find the log file here

Screenshot 2024-03-17 162922.png

You'll need the administrator password to be able to export them

Dan.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 437

I've got zero expectation that the new router will make any difference to the underlying problem though i.e. short disconnections 2 or 3 times a month.

@longedge I'd tend to agree with you and @Dan_the_Van !

For information I had a similar episode of disconnections on my FTTP about 3 months ago. It would only go somewhere between 2 & 10 days before dropping. The router ( a Ubiquiti ER-X running Openwrt ) reported a physical link fault on the ethernet pprt connected to the ONT, it recovered the link quickly but it caused a PPPoE tear-down and re-discover. Initially I thought it might have been a cable fault as a swap seemed alleviate it for a while but no joy. Eventually it just stopped and (touch wood!) its now been up for 51 days.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

longedge
Aspiring Pro

The router swap out is all done and dusted now and it went far more smoothly than I feared it would. This morning the postman collected the old one for return. He came to collect it, and brought a pre-printed label with him so it's all gone far more smoothly than I expected - I can give a 10 out of 10 for the return process 😀👍.