Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi constantly dropping out all of a sudden

FIXED
FrazerJ
Hooked

Wifi constantly dropping out all of a sudden

Hi, we have had a Plusnet ADSL service since 2016 & absolutely no problems until now (aside from the slow speed, but until they put fibre in down our road there's nothing we can do about that!). 

However, for the past week or so we've had no end of problems with the wifi connection - devices are constantly being booted off the network. Speed test is fine & devices that are hard-wired in are not having a problem, so it's not the line, just the wifi. It's happening to our phones, tablet, laptop, Nintendo Switch, Kindles, everything - they'll reconnect, but have real trouble staying connected. 

We haven't moved the router or anything, it's in a sensible place & our house is tiny, so we're never that far from it! 

If someone could help it would be really appreciated as it's driving us nuts. Could it be the router is on its last legs?

Frazer

9 REPLIES 9
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 439

Re: Wifi constantly dropping out all of a sudden

Which router do you  have ? if its the Hub Zero then I believe it has a limit to the number of wifi connected devices

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

FrazerJ
Hooked

It is a Hub Zero, but we don't have any extra devices connected - it's been the same number for years. We literally had no issues at all until about a week ago. It's really puzzling.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 439

Fix

In that case it may well be a failing router. The Hub zero is getting a bit long in the tooth and hasn't been supplied for a while now even on ADSL, the Hub one has been used. You could try calling CSC and seeing if ( since you've been a customer for a while ) they'll send you a Hub one replacement. They definitely will if you recontract.

(aside from the slow speed, but until they put fibre in down our road there's nothing we can do about that!). 

Is FTTC/VDSL ( Fibre to the cabinet ) not available ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

FrazerJ
Hooked

Thanks for that, I'll give them a call and see what they say. We renewed our contract earlier this year so hopefully they'll be nice!

And no, despite actually living in a city, we have no access to fibre unless we get Virgin. My dad lives out in the sticks & he gets fibre! I think they just didn't bother putting it in as there's only 5 houses in our little turning. They're in the process of upgrading the fibre network here but still aren't coming down our road! Apparently we might get it 'in a couple of years'.🙄 

Baldrick1
Fixes: 429

@FrazerJ 

If Plusnet will not give you a Hub One for the P&P charge then get a BT Smarthub or Smarthub 2, they are sold for peanuts on auction sites. They have the wireless performance of the latest Plusnet Hub Two. They work on ADSL as well as standard fibre. They do have to be configured to work with a Plusnet service, you will find the setting instructions pinned to the top of this Router board.

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Broadband to My Router

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 223

Hi @FrazerJ, before looking at replacing the router I'd try following the advice shown here: https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Blogs/How-to-boost-your-wi-fi/ba-p/1450193

Let us know how you get on. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
FrazerJ
Hooked

Hi Adam

Thanks for this but we've already been through all the troubeshooting list. Have just had a chat with one of your colleagues and they agree that it's probably our aged router, so they're kindly sending us a new one. Fingers crossed that resolves things.

FrazerJ
Hooked

I know you're all awaiting the next thrilling chapter of this story, so...

...we received a new router this morning and it seems to have solved the problem. Ta daaa!

Thanks to all for advice!

EmilyD
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 117

Hi @FrazerJ, apologies for the delay in getting back to you. It's brilliant to hear that your new router appears to have fixed the problem! Please don't hesitate to get back in touch if you experience any further connection problems or if there's anything else that you'd like to discuss.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team