Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Your old router won't work with your new fibre package."

FIXED
denguv
Dabbler

"Your old router won't work with your new fibre package."

I'm about to renew my contract and I'm seeing this message.  They want me to pay the postage cost for a Hub Two router.

BUT, I've been using my own router for years (an Asus one) and am very happy with it and don't wish to change it.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm renewing the contract so everything stays the same except the price I'm paying.  So why would my old router not work exactly?

17 REPLIES 17
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 282

Re: "Your old router won't work with your new fibre package."

Fix

@denguv If you are merely renewing your contract - not changing product - ignore the message. I  don't know where you are seeing it, or who said it, but it is clearly wrong.

John
denguv
Dabbler

Thank you @jab1 , I appreciate the help.  It appeared in a popup message while renewing.

jab1
Legend

That message needs questioning - @MisterW  / @Townman - any thoughts?

John
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 88

@denguv 

where you upgrading to Full Fibre or from Unlimited Broadband to Unlimited Fibre Broadband?

This would be the likely reason for the prompt to buy a new Hub

jab1
Legend

@Dan_the_Van As I read it, this was a straight contract renewal, with no change of service provision.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 165

If there is no change to the broadband product there is no NEED to change the router. That thought is not the same as there being no potential benefits to be had from a new router which might offer better WiFi or better connectivity stability. How Plusnet could assert that not knowing the user’s current router’s characteristics would though be a bit of a mystery.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 317

I imagine there is an assumption being made based on what Plusnet-provided hub is currently associated with the OP's account. Whilst I accept this can be confusing where somebody is using aftermarket kit (as is the case here), it will be relevant in the vast majority of circumstances.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

jab1
Legend

@bobpullen I kinda see where you are coming from, but an increasing (from what I see) number of customers are using 'after-market' kit, and I would imagine 99%+ of people are on a VDSL connection, so unless the kit is not compatible with Full Fibre, should they be switching to that, is this true - or am I missing something?

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 438

BUT, I've been using my own router for years (an Asus one) and am very happy with it and don't wish to change it.

How Plusnet could assert that not knowing the user’s current router’s characteristics would though be a bit of a mystery. 

My guess would be that the OP has an old PN router , say a TG582 or Hub zero which has not been used for some time but is not compatible with FTTC without a modem. The system will still have that recorded against the account and so recommends the Hub Two. TBH its probably worth paying the P & P for it , if only to be used as a spare or for troubleshooting.

edit: Bob beat me to it

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

Agree totally, @MisterW , but it could still be misconstrued - as it was by the OP.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 165

Thank you @bobpullen 

That's two mysteries solved today and it is not even (quite) time for coffee!

jab1
Legend

Dunno about that, @Townman - I've just made my third of the day! 😀

John
chrisfrege

I am getting the same message on renewing. I have been using the HUB1 which works ok. I compare the specs with the HUB2 and see that wifi may be better with HUB2 but that is all.  I am on a fibre 38-40mb deal and the renewal is the same. So I assume I do not really need to upgrade?

jab1
Legend

@chrisfrege You do not NEED to upgrade, but the Hub2 is a better, more modern piece of kit, and for the £6.99 delivery charge is worth it, IMO.

John