cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A known issue affecting a number of customers on our Unlimited products...

Petard
Rising Star

Re: A known issue affecting a number of customers on our Unlimited products...

Yes, it’s a long time for them to be unable to fix the fault. Plusnet’s attitude seems to be that if we are on an unlimited package, it does not matter if the usage counter is broken. This does not say much either for their technical competence or for their service.

A usage counter can be interesting and useful. Some while back I noticed that Plusnet’s record of my usage was often much higher than that reported by my router, and the two did not correlate at all. I posted about it here, and someone replied that PN had been known to send out routers to new customers programmed with existing customers’ log-in details. So I changed my password – and right away the over-recording ceased. Without the online usage counter, I should never have spotted the problem.

It is disquieting to think someone else’s use might be being logged to one’s account – even more so with the detailed logs that will be held under the Snoopers’ Charter. What is that other person doing online that is being recorded under your name? Nearly 50 Government bodies can look at the log, including the police, the tax man, and the DWP. It’s very important that it should be accurate. If it isn’t, the consequences could be unpleasant.

longedge
Pro
Fixes: 4

I popped in to the forum this morning intending to start a thread - but it's already here. Petard's post says it all.

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@Petard wrote:

It is disquieting to think someone else’s use might be being logged to one’s account – even more so with the detailed logs that will be held under the Snoopers’ Charter. What is that other person doing online that is being recorded under your name? Nearly 50 Government bodies can look at the log, including the police, the tax man, and the DWP. It’s very important that it should be accurate. If it isn’t, the consequences could be unpleasant.

A very valid point, and something that can - indeed has - happened when a router has been sold, passed on, or otherwise come to be used by someone else.

As a non-PN router user, my main concern is being unable to monitor any data exceeding normal 'handshaking' if my PC is quiescent for a period, indicating a possible security breach. If I'm away for a fortnight and everything is powered down, it's reassuring to see that no data has been recorded. At the moment one can't be sure.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen SOGEA 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Bear in mind that if you sell or dispose the router that ISP's may have chosen to record the unique MAC address of your internet facing ethernet connection - if you are using IPV6 (not yet applicable to Plusnet). This MAC address is usually unchangeable.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

As far as I know, ISP's log the serial number(s) of any equipment they issue.

Admittedly It was a while back, but I couldn't reiterate enough to my fellow BT customers how important it was to factory reset (not just reset) any equipment they were either going to either flog on ebay or send to their local tip.

There were many BTHH2 users whom got rid of the old hub's to then find they were being billed for voip calls - they didn't reset the hub, somebody picked it up, registered a hub phone to it and simply made free calls at the previous owners expense.

The above could well have contributed to BT doing away with that service....?

Petard
Rising Star

Yes, erasing log-in data from such devices is a must if one disposes of them. That is not a possible explanation for the over-recording I saw, since I still possess all the equipment I have used for connecting to Plusnet. (I know, I know, I'm not good at recycling.)

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Interestingly i just went to have a look at mine , Smiley  it works 

But i  show a usage of Internet telephone ??????  odd as i dont have one

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Just erasing the details before passing on a router is NOT enough - nor is changing the account password fail proof either.

If the router is still recorded on Plusnet as being associated with the account when it is plugged in on another Plusnet line and/or factory reset, TR069 will reprogram it with the login name and the current account password.

I can't see it now, but there used to be an option in Connection settings on the portal to turn off the TR069/dissociate the router from the account. I'm afraid I can't remember exactly what it was called.

There was an issue I had where it only related to the most recently Plusnet supplied router and an earlier router had to be manually removed by one of the Plusnet bods on here.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
DS
Seasoned Champion

An interesting point there @jelv

I'm not 'up' on the current ins and outs of Plusnet, but I'm getting there.

All I can say about the Hub One is that before it goes live, the default BB username is in the form of setup@..... and I believe a 'hidden' password are both showing.

Once the handshake has taken place the account holders details automatically show in place of the default - therefore the TR-069 takes over.

I have looked around the various pages available on our portal and admit I've not seen anything about being able to disable TR-069

Although I've never given away, sold or even thrown out any previously issued ISP routers, what you've written is a concern.

I would expect Plusnet to prevent TR-069 from giving out these details and I would have thought any details should be recorded against the telephone number of the account instead - although this isn't ideal, I would say it's better than how they do things now.

Nor have I read it anywhere, apart from your post above, that users leaving Plusnet need to request that TR-069 is removed.... I'll certainly remember this, so thanks for posting Smiley

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@DS

Disable/enable TR-069 at https://portal.plus.net/automatic_hardware_setup/index.php

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
DS
Seasoned Champion

Wow, had a bit of a bottom clenching moment then as I went straight to the link given and the BB light went amberShocked

All good, it went back to blue Smiley

Interesting Plusnet Hub event log too - Huh - in all the years of using a BT branded hub, it's the first time I've ever seen it ( and BT stated TR-069 couldn't be turned off on the BT Home Hub 2 (upwards)!!Angry )

edit to add (in blue)

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Thanks @SpendLessTime

There's two aspects to TR069: the router has to have it enabled and will "call home" when it thinks it needs reconfiguring and the ISPs server needs it to be enabled against the specific router. So while it may be that it can't be disabled on the Plusnet router, turning the option off via the portal ensures that if it does "call home" it gets no answer.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
DS
Seasoned Champion

Regarding the 'call home' it makes, apart from Plusnet, does anybody know where this other home now is?

Because:

(Copied from Hub) - Server URL: https://dbtpnhdm.bt.mo

which would be https://dbtpnhdam.bt.motive.com

and amongst other things, it seems to refer to https://www.plus.net/help/archive/other/plusnet-assist-faq/

but that now goes to:

Important notice: Plusnet Assist is closing down
We need to let you know that as of 1st October 2016, Plusnet Assist will no longer be supported.
We recommend that you uninstall the software as it will stop working after this date.
To do this simply follow your Windows operating system guide for uninstalling a program from the control panel.
We're decommissioning Plusnet Assist as we now have a wealth of resources on our Help & Support pages, as well as lots of useful videos on our Plusnet Help YouTube channel. You can also chat to us online.

Now, using just the bt.motive.com, according to this, Motive-Communications-Incorporated expired Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Just curious Wink

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

The original usage stats problem, or the lack of them is still outstanding.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

PT206
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Just wan't to add I've had this problem for over 2 months and despite talking to TS on phone and online chat they seem extremely apathetic towards fixing it (or handing it on to someone who can).

I've always stood up for PN support when telling friends about the service, but what I have recently experienced from support is more akin to the monkeys who work for Sky or TalkTalk, hope this isn't permanent.