Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brand New Member and I'm Worried...

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Brand New Member and I'm Worried...

I have a main mail box which I never use as an email - you could set up something like mymainmailbox. I then point my email client to collect from that mailbox and use that mailbox for sending. I then create aliases of that mailbox for all email addresses I regularly use (as pierre_pierre suggested).
Separately I have the catch all enabled and have that also configured in my mail client. That will receive all emails for prefixes that I haven't made aliases of the main mailbox (often when I've given someone a new address and forgotten to set up the alias!). Quite often I don't bother to set up the alias e.g. if signing up to some forums that send an activation email.
If a particular prefix starts getting spammed you can then redirect that prefix to the blackhole (having deleted the alias first if necessary).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
ronroam1
Grafter

Thanks Jelv for your suggestions. I now understand (I think) the other possibilities which essentially make redundant my need to change the immovable username.The 'catch all' also seems a great little tool.
Obviously, as an ex aol user my horizons for the past 10 years have been somewhat limited! Roll_eyes
NB: Also interested to see your note regarding Plusnet's change in the contract although my new contract states 12 months.
avalon
Grafter

Quote from: ronroam1
The 'catch all' also seems a great little tool.

It has it's uses, but personally I'd avoid the catch all option.  If you set up aliases then if one of them gets spammed into oblivion all you need to do is delete that alias and the problem is solved - no more e-mail from that alias but all others work fine.  If instead you just use the catch all option it means you can't do this and would need to put up with all the spam.
WarringtonWolf

Hi,
Like you I am completely new to plusnet after 7 years with AOL. I was using an old modem and asked AOL for a new router and maybe a review of the £9.99 per month I was paying them as I don't use the internet a great deal these days. When I did use it the outdated AOL equipment would take forever to connect,regularly disconnect and was working at a really slow speed. AOL were not that helpful considering I have been with them for 7 years and said that if I wanted a new router I had to agree to an 18 month contract at £9.99 per month.............they really would not budge on the price! So,along come plusnet with what seems like a reasonable offer and so far I have been happy with how everything has gone. Time will tell if our relationship lasts but I have no complaints at all at the moment.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

The catch all has one HUGE advantage. If you sign up to a new website or forum and want to use a unique email address, without a catch all you have to create the alias and give it long enough for all the creation to complete, then you can sign up to the website. If you sign up to the new website before the alias is in place the activation email disappears in to the ether. For some email addresses I give on websites when signing up I only expect to receive the one activation email - in that case I never bother creating the alias.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and I get replies from some compaines that keep changing there e-mail datails, and althought I have aliases set up for them, the appear in the default box.
And my Son in Aus sent a round robin Xmas Greeting, that had a different adress.
If I has catch all switched off, Lost Xmas greeting, no than you