Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

House Move - Update on connection?

MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Re: House Move - Update on connection?

Really sorry that this is still going on, it's taken me a lot of time to get to the bottom of it this morning.
It seems that we are waiting on permission to carry out work. On the 13th, an A55 form was submitted. An A55 is usually a request for information required by contractors before they can start work. This usually involves asking for permission to work on land owned by the council/owned privately. We are still awaiting an outcome, which is frustrating for all parties.
I've been asked to check back within two days, though we have sent quite a few chasers on your case already.
It's bad news, but hopefully this clarifies it a bit.
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
custos
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Thanks for the update. There are three properties currently waiting for the work to be completed so I am not alone. I think we all wish that communication between us, BTOR and our suppliers was better. It is so frustrating when nothing seems to be happening.
dick:quote
custos
Aspiring Pro

Another week has passed with no activity on site - X still marks the spot! Tomorrow it will be two months since the order was placed and there are now four of us here waiting for a line.
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

I have updated your ticket for you.
Once again, really sorry for how long it's taking to resolve this.
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
custos
Aspiring Pro

Another week has passed and still no activity on site. A now faded X still just about marks the spot! The best that BTOR can manage is tell us we can try for an update on Friday November 6. At least one of my neighbors has canceled their order, blaming his provider for the delay! Ironically he was with BT! Of the 4 properties on this development I have been waiting the longest - my order was placed on August 24! Meanwhile my mobile data is about to run out again  Sad
AndyH
Grafter

BT's contractors might still be waiting on the permission to do the work. Have you checked http://www.roadworks.org to see if anything is planned/upcoming there?
custos
Aspiring Pro

It is a minor road that has no name. As far as I know it is owned by the local authority but not adopted and does not show up on the map! It is less than 3 months ago that the water, gas, electricity and telephone ground works were completed, all of which required the road to be dug up!
custos
Aspiring Pro

Here we are again and ready for a promised update today! There won't of course be anything to tell me as nothing whatsoever has happened on site! Just exactly how much longer do I have to wait?
custos
Aspiring Pro

I should have had an update on Friday last but hey it's the weekend and since nothing has been done in the last 2 weeks why bother to contact me! All BTOR have to do to complete this order (that was actually placed on August 24) is run a cable from one side of the road to the other. To do this they have to clear a blocked duct. However in over 4 weeks they have done absolutely nothing! Meanwhile I have just spent another £15.00 on mobile data  Sad
custos
Aspiring Pro

On hold once again and with no explanation for the continuing delay! My neighbour has been told by her supplier that the delay is being caused by a lack of response from the local authority to grant permission to dig a hole. We are now in contact with the authority who are trying to find a record of the request from BTOR !
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Oh dear, just been reading this sorry tale (well at least the last 3 pages)!  Am I surprised - no. There are too many stories like this about, and why are there too many stories like this? Well I think there are two key reasons -
1) Plusnet seeming to have the inability to grasp it's supplier (Openretch) by the goolies and get them to commit to a date when the required work will start -
not helped by -
2) Openreach's total incompetence and not having a clue what is going on  (cue AndyH to rush to their defense - don't bother!) - The clues are obvious in this post but more especially this one.
It's quite obvious that Openreach engineers on the ground know what and where the problem is - X marks the spot Roll_eyes
Presumably their bosses also know, however from there on, it's obvious that somewhere the chain of communication has failed as the update that you got implies the Planning Team haven't a clue, or if they have, they haven't told the person sending you the update!
Whilst a member of Plusnet CRT may be aware of the detail (X marks the spot), is that information on the ticket that Plusnet are giving you updates on? If so, have Plusnet specifically asked OR whether "that as the location of a blocked duct has been identified ages ago" whether OR have applied for the relevant permissions etc to dig up what is required, appointed a contractor ......... etc etc. or are Plusnet just asking "any update?"
If X marks the spot isn't on the ticket, it might be wise to add it, so Plusnet can ask the specific questions.
It seems to me that asking specific questions is the only way this might progress quicker. The time taken so far is abysmal.
custos
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for taking the trouble to respond to my post.. Today my ticket is 'off hold' again and via this forum (on another persons post) Adam has told me that an engineer has been assigned to the job. My response was that unless he is equipped with a pickaxe he won't achieve much! Nobody seems capable of asking BTOR a straight question let alone giving a straight answer. Mostly I get coded responses that are completely meaningless.
The facts are that BTOR knew the duct was blocked in mid September. This has already been confirmed by two engineers who tried to 'rod through' the duct many weeks ago. The cable is live to the exchange in the chamber one side of the road and simply needs to be connected the DP in the chamber outside my house. All the local cabling (drop wires) to my house is already done. Some have suggested that there might be a delay in getting permission to dig the small hole to gain access to the blocked duct but I have contacted the responsible officer of my local authority and have been assured that is not the case.
Update: As I type this two men with a shovel have appeared and are attempting to dig down to the duct. Well actually one is digging and the other is smoking a fag!
Standby for another thrilling installment later this afternoon.
custos
Aspiring Pro

The answer lies under the soil!
The duct is NOT blocked at all - it is not complete! One section of duct runs to the edge of the road and stops. Another section runs from the other side of the road and also stops. The two sections of duct are not joined together! I watched the original work being done and suspected that where it was said that it was 'blocked' there was actually a 'dog-leg'. I had suggested to the original engineers that the two sections did not line up but they would not believe me. It took two men with a spade less than 30 minutes to confirm that I was correct!
The workman that called today said that a short length of ducting would have to be added in the form of a bend. The hole is now backfilled and waiting - 'right said Fred' (Bernard Cribbins)
How much longer do we have to wait?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

So the real question at this point is, who is to blame for the incomplete ducting? - presumably/possibly the developer? And why has it taken OR 8 weeks to discover the ducting is incomplete?
custos
Aspiring Pro

Exactly what we want to know: Who is responsible, who will sort it out and why has it taken so long to arrive at this point? The workman who came today were contracted to BTOR. They were equipped with cable to feed through the duct had they been able to. In the documents that were provided by the builders BTOR is listed as being responsible for installing the telephone infrastructure so presumably BTOR have to sort it out.