Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

House Move - Update on connection?

custos
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: House Move - Update on connection?

Just had an 'update' from Plusnet and guess what, 'on hold' again for another week! An example of the 'coded' language used is this from Plusnet:: I spoke with our suppliers and they have informed me that there was a shortage in cabling. They aim to have these sourced at the beginning of next week. If I had not actually been present here at the site I would have no idea what they are talking about! I am not sure if this strange message is actually from BTOR or Plusnet but it certainly fails the plain English test!
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

If I were you, I'd go and ask your builders/developer who actually put in that ducting?
I'd also respond to the ticket and ask Plusnet, who provided that load of bull and tell them about the men that came to dig today to resolve the "blocked" duct that turned out to be incomplete, and that they had cable with them Shocked
custos
Aspiring Pro

I have already told Plusnet all about what happened today - before they gave me that tosh about a 'shortage of cabling'. In fact that was the reply to my ticket where I told them about it. I have asked the developer about who is responsible and they are getting back to me but as far as I can tell from my paperwork it was BTOR. Plusnet rarely refer to OR preferring to use the term 'our suppliers' - yet more 'coded' tosh 🙂 It maybe of course that Plusnet are asking the correct questions but hey, I am only the customer so why tell me? I suspect that they have a protocol that seeks to avoid denigrating the parent company. The problem is that many Plusnet staff really do want to help just like the BTOR engineers I have seen and spoken to but BTOR are so isolated from the Network users that they seem to be able to carry on regardless. (Why is it that I keep using these old puns) I worked all my life providing a technical service to customers in the retail sector and my employer would have been out of business in no time had they been behaved as BTOR does.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Quote from: custos
The problem is that many Plusnet staff really do want to help just like the BTOR engineers I have seen and spoken to but BTOR are so isolated from the Network users that they seem to be able to carry on regardless. (Why is it that I keep using these old puns) I worked all my life providing a technical service to customers in the retail sector and my employer would have been out of business in no time had they been behaved as BTOR does.

That is so true on all counts.
AndyH
Grafter

I have asked the developer about who is responsible and they are getting back to me but as far as I can tell from my paperwork it was BTOR.

Responsibility lies with the developer:
The Developer shall warrant the structures of jointing chambers for a period of ten (10) years and all installed duct for a period of five (5) years. This shall be independent of any associated New Roads and Street Works guarantee period. Where no other warranty or guarantee period exists or is stated, then a warranty period of two (2) years shall apply.
Defects in the work which arise from faulty or incorrect materials, workmanship or performance standards shall be resolved at the Developer’s own expense (by replacement, repair or reconstruction, at the option of BT) in a timescale designated by BT.

There needs to be some input/update from Plusnet about the issues and the exact reason for the delays in getting to this point.
custos
Aspiring Pro

In the Building Manual the Parties to the Contract are listed and BT Openreach are shown as the subcontractors for the telephone installation. The workmen who were here yesterday installed the ducting across the road - it is intact and serviceable as is the ducting from the chamber on site to the edge of the road. Exactly who is responsible for the fact that the ducts are not joined together is anybody guess.However since Openreach were contracted to do the installation presumably they have to make it good. I hope that this relativity simple job will be done promptly.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I think that means you should be beating up the builders that the work they are responsible for has not been completed correctly. They then will get on to their sub-contractors (BTOR). My guess is that different departments are responsible so the install/faults department who have been involved so far will have no knowledge of the sub-contract and thus reporting (correctly) that the work the builders are responsible is not complete.
Never underestimate the inability of a communications company to communicate between internal departments!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
AndyH
Grafter

OR/BT will not be the sub-contractors of the developer.
BT don't do groundwork for new homes - it's up to the developer (and BT pays the bills).
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Your ignoring what people have posted and trying to divert the blame away from BT/OR is getting tiresome.
In the Building Manual the Parties to the Contract are listed and BT Openreach are shown as the subcontractors for the telephone installation.
AndyH
Grafter

Why are BT/OR to blame here?
Openreach connect everything up, but they don't do the ground work though (putting in ducting/joint boxes/pavement boxes etc.) for new homes. This is always up to the developer or builder. Clearly you don't believe me, so either ring the Openreach New Homes team or speak to any engineer - they will tell you exactly the same as me.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Stop making yourself look foolish please:
BT Openreach are shown as the subcontractors for the telephone installation

You've said what is normal practice, but in this case it appears they've taken on a contract to do the work themselves (although probably sub-sub-contracted to someone else).
Until custos comes back having contacted the builders to find out why their sub-contractors have not completed the task any further comment is pointless.
AndyH
Grafter

As I said, ask any engineer or the New Homes Team  - Openreach do not do the groundwork for new homes, period and with no exceptions (even Plusnet can clarify this). All they do is connect up their network to the new homes using the infrastructure put in by the builder/developer.
It doesn't matter what's written on a piece of paper (and I haven't disputed the fact that Openreach install the telephone lines).
Plusnet need to clarify why there was a delay in the A55 being processed and where the OP stands now.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

BT Openreach are shown as the subcontractors for the telephone installation

Clarification of the scope of that statement is needed - again, until custos comes back with more news, speculation is pointless.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You keep quoting that but it doesn't say what is covered by the installation and doesn't say that they are doing everything to install it
Note that the ducting which is there wasn't installed by BT but by the builder as far as I can tell
I see that you have edited your post while I was typing (slowly)
custos
Aspiring Pro

Whilst I appreciate the interest and support, everybody seems to be missing the point! Irrespective of who installed the ducting on site, it is there and complete. It reaches the edge of the site as does the ducting that crosses the road. The only problem is that the ends of each length of ducting are not joined together. All I and my neighbors want is a telephone line. My order was made on August 24 and nearly 3 months later I am still waiting. Plusnet have a duty to me as their customer to get this sorted and they in turn have to deal with their 'supplier' OR. As I have said before I watched the workmen install the duct that crosses the road and they were working for OR.