Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line rental charges, really?

MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Re: Line rental charges, really?

I can't be specific, but as others have noted, it's soon to be mandatory across the board.

ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Will be interesting seeing how things go as line rental isn't compulsory with Plusnet.

Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

Thanks for that, it never rain but it pours as just been reading this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37021773

I'm now given to wondering what if we decided we did not want to use our land line phones and just asked for the broadband service - what then, no line charge? I guess not.

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
Minivanman
Legend

Well it seems it is Browni because plusnet have now started to charge me for it where previously they had not. I think they need to sing from the same hymn sheet back at Sheffield as clearly they are not. 

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

@Minivanman wrote:

Thanks for that, it never rain but it pours as just been reading this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37021773

I'm now given to wondering what if we decided we did not want to use our land line phones and just asked for the broadband service - what then, no line charge? I guess not.

you'd still have a line though, so paying a charge for that line would still be applicable.

Minivanman
Legend

Then the fog is clearing because that has been my point all along but, plusnet tell me ah, but you are paying line rental for the phone not for the broadband - which is a different charge altogether. Eh?

Herman Melville
chenks76
All Star

you are paying the line rental to have the line.
you can then have 2 services supplied by that line, voice and/or broadband.
you then pay for voice or broadband services.

you are not paying line rental for the phone, you still have to pay for any calls you make.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero

you are not paying line rental for the phone, you still have to pay for any calls you make.?Huh Chenks 76

But if you not paying line rental for the phone ,,,, YOU cant make calls Shocked

I belive if you dont want a phone line just BB you should only pay enough line rental to support the BB why pay for something you dont want !!

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
chenks76
All Star

you still have to pay for the call though. so line rental alone would not allow you to make a call.
you would either have to pay for the call on a PAYG basis, or have a call package.

to make a call you need line rental and to pay for the call
to use the internet you need line rental and to pay for an internet package.

so the question is, if the line is to only be used for broadband, how much lower should the line rental be?
the line still has to be maintained, does having no voice service active on it lower the maintenance it would require?

Minivanman
Legend

Let's assume I do not use my land line, and let's further assume that the purpose of the line is for the use of broadband only - then of course the value or the charge levied could remain the same but, plusnet could or should not then be asking me to pay for a line that in my particular case has bee unable to provide a download speed of above 1 Mb/s and without 'noise' for the last six months.

Over to you.

Herman Melville
rongtw
Seasoned Hero

NO sorry you are incorrrect !   my mobile is used for phone calls !!!!!!!  i DONT use landline except for my BB
SO i DO not need a call package or PAYG or line rental for a PHONE .
My MOBILE is cheaper than the land line
Minivanman
Legend

In all honesty we don't really use our landline that much, it just sort of sits there really and at least half of the few calls we get are those so called nuisance ones which fortunately because of caller ID and what have you are blocked using a call guardian system we have. Both the Mrs and myself have PAYG mobiles which suits most of our needs. Would we miss the phone if it was taken out? A little bit I suppose but like having a car, it's become a habit we could do probably do without.... now we both have bus passes! 

It does seem to me that with such things as facebook, facetime, Skype, iplayer, and engaging with forums this that having a fast reliable internet is far important than a phone these days. One necessity being replaced by another?  

Wants and needs eh. want's and needs. 

Herman Melville
chenks76
All Star

@rongtw wrote:
@chenks76     NO sorry you are incorrrect !   my mobile is used for phone calls !!!!!!!  i DONT use landline except for my BB
SO i DO not need a call package or PAYG or line rental for a PHONE .
My MOBILE is cheaper than the land line

you mobile has not nothing to do with this though.

the only valid question is, does your landline currently allow you to make calls.
whether your mobile is cheaper is not relevant to the discussion.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero

to make a call you need line rental and to pay for the call !!!!   is  what you said Chenks

No i dont need either !! i have my mobile Wink  thats what this is all about , DO i need a line rental for a phone call ??  NO i dont   simples

IF ISP uncoupled the line rental between the Phone/BB , i would not pay the percentage of the rental that is the Phone !

For simplicity the phone line supports BB and Voice , But i dont want the Voice part so if you split the line rental 50/50

for the BB only you should pay only 50% of line rental as you only use half .

Ok some will say too simplistic you have to pay for upkeep/repairs But it that BT/OR are milking the network , My phone post outside my house  8 lines so in past year they never been up to do any repairs , so they charge for upkeep of lines that dont need service over a year they pocket thousands .