cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long term sync speed problem

James
Grafter

Re: Long term sync speed problem

Just to add - a voice fault will alsways supercede a broadband fault - any broadband fault will just get closed if a voice fault is opened.
mapletree
Grafter

Just to clarify:  Will I need to reopen the broadband fault if it is still there after BT has fixed the voice fault?  If so, will I have start all over again at the beginning?  I got the impression from the CS guy that the broadband fault would be closed and then reopened automatically.
James
Grafter

We'll need to reopen the BB fault.
Should your ticket end up being closed, I won't have any issues opening a new one for you.
mapletree
Grafter

Thanks.
Fingers crossed this sorts out the BB fault too.  Maybe I'll even get an NTE5 fitted for nowt Wink
mapletree
Grafter

James,
The Openreach engineer has fixed the voice fault (and replaced the master socket -- hooray!), but the sync speed is no better (currently 2112K
and SNR margin varying between 11-15).
What's the next step?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

You have been experiencing what is called "ring-trip" and will undoubtedly be cause by a fault on the line, which will also mess up the broadband. You need to ensure that this line fault is fixed (as a phone fault, not broadband). If you have problems getting the phone fault looked at because of the open BB fault, cancel the BB fault and then re-report the LL phone fault.
Anotherone
Champion

I've just posted in your BB Speed thread (having not seen this), so I suggest you now monitor your SNRM and connection to see if it is stable and if so, maybe your Target SNRM can be lowered as it's probably been up for I while (haven't had chance to check back on your previous threads). Suggest you continue this on the BB Speed board.
Regards,
Chris.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

thats the trouble with people having two threads on the same subject
James,
The Openreach engineer has fixed the voice fault (and replaced the master socket -- hooray!), but the sync speed is no better (currently 2112K
and SNR margin varying between 11-15).
What's the next step?
mapletree
Grafter

@Anotherone: I saw your post on the other thread.  routerstats indicates the line conditions are similar to they were before the voice fault.  sync speed still below fault threshold rate and target SNRM @15dB.  Actual SNRM varies quite a lot, often as low as 10dB.  My two routers do behave slightly differently though.
My PN support ticket is still open but I'm not sure what PN/BT are doing with it right now.
James
Grafter

Hiya,
Given that you previously had a voice fault, I'd suggest giving it the holiday weekend to see if you notice any change in performance.
Anotherone
Champion

I'd keep a very close eye (or better still - ear Wink ) on the voice side to be sure that there is not a further problem still present. Until you can get that noise variation to be less (and no drops) you won't see a significant improvement, but should be able to get you up to a 2M profile at least.
mapletree
Grafter

I've just had two disconnections in the half hour since the Openreach engineer left  Sad Sad  It used to be slow, but stable!  I don't think there is anything else I can do to help with the SNR variations.  I've tried everything over a period of months.  Quiet line test is OK at the moment.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

jim:post I have merged a number of posts from the other thread and locked it to stop the confusion caused by having two threads running with the same problem mod:end
mapletree
Grafter

Been monitoring this for a while now.  Now the Zyxel router is slightly worse than the 2wire.  The 2wire shows steady 14-15dB margin (Zyxel is all over the place [10-15dB]).  Connection speed is still not as good as in April (with same SNR margin).
How can I get BT to lower the target SNR margin?
James
Grafter

If your routers are seeing fluctuating SNR figures, I'd suggest that dropping the target noise margin will only cause your connection to drop.