Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nobody can help

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Nobody can help

The appointment is now confirmed and the engineer has notes requesting to check the D side jumpers and to perform a lift and shift if possible.
MikeyM
Grafter

Ok thanks Matt, I will be at home anyway so no issues if he wants access.
Tks
Michael.
MikeyM
Grafter

Morning Matt,
What do the notes say?
Ta
Michael.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi MikeyM,
It's word for word the same response we got on the 12th, which suggests at least that they changed the D-side jumpers but I don't think a lift and shift will have been done unfortunately. I'll happily ring for more information though. How did things go from your side?
MikeyM
Grafter

Things were fine.
I got a different engineer this time.
He did some tests in the house, then went outside to junction box for the street, about 20 metres from my door, he cleaned up the connection there and resealed that box of connections as he said there was water in there.
That was it, I asked him and he said he did not change the D side or do a lift and shift but he said my line stats were good.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

How's the service been since Saturday? I can see a number of drops from the morning (to be expected with an engineer visit) but worryingly one later on at about quarter to 4 in the afternoon, though it's been stable since then.
MikeyM
Grafter

To be honest I never really notice the drops as it just resyncs within seconds.
I think to be honest what we are dealing with here is a limit with the current technology. My line is fine, has been tested several times now, have had new e side done, guy told me it was the best spare line in the cabinet as he tested all the spares.
The DLM wants me to sync at 15db so that the line is totally stable, most important thing to BT.
I am happy forcing my SNR to 6db and dealing with the dropouts, as they do not affect me really as the resync is instant.
Given the choice between doing this or leaving the snr at 15 and getting a sync speed of 2100 compared to 4000, it is a no brainer for me.
I feel that any more engineer vists are just a waste of time as there is no more that they can do, The SNR spikes at some point during the day by about 8 or 9db, so it takes the target to be at 15db to stop the line dropping, even though the line is stable for 23 hours and 59 minutes per day the DLM still feels I need to be at 15db to keep the line stable, that is the issue in my eyes.
I am not sure we will ever find what causes the spikes and it may be just the length of the phone line.
Happy to hear what you think?
Michael.

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Well, as with all these cases if we push enough we will get a resolution though it may be that it takes a while longer given that we'll therefore need 2 more engineer visits before we can escalate this to complex faults (for the D-side change and the lift and shift). I'd be happy to do this but likewise if you're happy enough with how things are then that's fine as well - if it ain't broke don't fix it, after all (though for a given value of broken, in this case).
If it happens at the same time every day then that's also something we could look at as that's usually some kind of electrical interference, central heating or street lights or similar (as long as it's turned on or off at the same time each day and that that coincides with the drops in connection).
At the end of the day though I'll take my lead from you - it's your line and your service Smiley Let me know if there's anything I can do.
MikeyM
Grafter

I have now been moved to a banded profile, max sync speed I get now is 2270.
Told that I have to start from beginning again with fault process and engineer visits to take this forward, no way.
Mac for me.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

As in Matt's previous response, please let us know if you'd like us to take the lead in investigating this fault.
The chances are that you'll just take the fault to a new provider if you do go.
MikeyM
Grafter

Quote from: Ben

The chances are that you'll just take the fault to a new provider if you do go.

Not with LLU I will not.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Do you mind me asking which company you're going to?
Do you mind sticking around on the forums afterwards to let us know how the switch goes and whether or not the fault was resolved?
MikeyM
Grafter

It will either be 02 or back to Sky, happy to report back, but was with Sky for several years before with 4mb all the time, as soon as I switched to Plus Net I came under the control of the DLM, the cause of all the issues I have.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Do you fancy letting me take ownership of the fault? Give it a month, I'll make your broadband free for that time and we'll see if we can fix it.
MikeyM
Grafter

Ok, happy to give you a chance, I have requested my MAC code so still have the option to use it if you cannot fix it.
adie:quote