Mayfly
All Star
Fixes: 1

Re: OFCOM new market classification scheme

What are you currently purleigh?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Currently "Market 1" as it says in my signature field (below) next to the angry face Embarrassed
I wasn't expecting it not to become "Market A" but I will forever live in hope !   Cry
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Mine is Market 1 with one current LLU supplier (SKY) and one "planned" by December 2013(TALKTALK) ......but its going to be Market A Cry
God knows what it will mean for future Plusnet pricing,particularly when we get fibre sometime in 2014!!
colintivy
Rising Star

It looks like I am in the same state as Purleigh, Market 1 to Market A without much sign that there is any updating of such a minor exchange. Rural users are well in the long grass as far as any tangible improvements in service are concerned. I have noticed quite a lot of BTO bottoms visible at manholes round here with the occasional complete disconnections of phone and BB service happening. Synch speed and Noise ratios up and down like a fiddler's elbow as a result.
Not living in any hope I am afraid.
Sad Cry
Anonymous
Not applicable

It REALLY annoys me that in addition to the "Market 1" price premium, that Plusnet introduced the £2.50 per month price penalty for changing to a different broadband only product ! - I don't want their phone service !.
Why couldn't the £2.50 apply just to "new customers", and not to upgraders ?, especially when "new customers" benefit from introductory deals but existing customers don't.
I have been patiently waiting for years for FTTC to arrive, and until recently I was on a legacy product that didn't have market pricing - which seemed fair,  but now if FTTC arrives I really can't justify paying £30.99 a month - almost double my monthly ADSL subscription which in itself is already £7 more expensive than other Plusnet customers on the same package but on "Market 2/3" 21CN exchanges with three times the connection speed.
Further to rub salt into the wounds I am stuck going nowhere with eleven months remaining having been locked into a 12 month contract, on an inadequate "up to" 8mbps 20CN ADSL1 connection.
Cry
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The Usertools Exchange Checker has
1540 Market 3
660 Market 2
3365 Market 1
5565 Total Exchanges

The Ofcom consultation proposes
2366 Market B
3223 Market A
5589 Total Exchanges

(The total mismatch is likely to be due to Ofcom including exchanges where the sole operator is *not* BT, and possibly exchanges not ADSL enabled.)
Has anyone discovered a plain text (or Excel) version of the Ofcom exchange lists? Could do PDF to text I guess.
David
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Quote from: purleigh
It REALLY annoys me that in addition to the "Market 1" price premium, that Plusnet introduced the £2.50 per month price penalty for changing to a different broadband only product ! - I don't want their phone service !.
Why couldn't the £2.50 apply just to "new customers", and not to upgraders ?, especially when "new customers" benefit from introductory deals but existing customers don't.

I don't want PNs phone service either!
Your suggestion certainly seems sensible and fair to me, especially as it's a logical progression to move from xDSL to FTTC/FTTP as it becomes available.  If nothing else it could be looked upon by PlusNet as a small concession to retain the loyalty of existing customers.
The £2.50 increase has certainly made me give more thought to having FTTP installed as my ADSL2+ service is adequate for my present usage, but it seems such a waste not to take the FTTP(trial) service as it's already been available to me for a month.  I had been prepared to pay the increase from £9.99 p/m to £19.99 p/m, but it's difficult to convince myself to pay the extra £2.50 increase on top.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Why not give the Customer Options Team a ring on 0845 140 6002 or 0330 123 9197 (Monday to Friday: 9.00am - 8.00pm, Saturday: 9.00am - 5.30pm)? I've no idea what they might be able to offer, but it's worth asking.
David
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I gave the Customer Options Team a ring when I was strongly tempted by an attractive offer from BT.  They in turn offered me a good deal on a Plusnet Phone and Broadband package (similar to the promotional offer to new customers) but they offered nothing for standalone broadband. 
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Quote from: spraxyt
Why not give the Customer Options Team a ring .....? I've no idea what they might be able to offer, but it's worth asking.

That might be worth a try I guess ...
Quote from: ReedRichards
I gave the Customer Options Team a ring ....  They in turn offered me a good deal on a Plusnet Phone and Broadband package (similar to the promotional offer to new customers) but they offered nothing for standalone broadband.  

... but I wouldn't really be interested in any offer which was dependant on taking PNs phone service rather than BT.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Having compared the Ofcom consultation market allocations with the present ones for the exchanges known to the Usertools exchange checker I reckon 237 exchanges currently market 1, 590 currently market 2 and 1539 currently market 3 all move to market B making 2366 market B exchanges - which tallies with the Ofcom count.
However the Ofcom lists omit 4 exchanges that BT provide 20CN VP (virtual path) capacity data for, and one exchange EACHU (Church Langley) currently market 3 is in the market A list. I think that is an error.
David
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Has anyone worked out whether it makes unbundling more or less attractive to the main LLU suppliers Undecided
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: spraxyt
one exchange EACHU (Church Langley) currently market 3 is in the market A list. I think that is an error.

That's what comes of living in a fictional village.  'Church Langley' is an estate of new housing and a large Tesco supermarket that doesn't even have a church. 
spraxyt
Resting Legend

I've added the new Ofcom market classification allocations to the UserTools Exchange Checker (as mkt2014). This is for information only; there is no guarantee that Ofcom will adopt these classifications at the end of the consultation, and may change any of them. Also how Plusnet will use them is to be announced.
David
Glenn
Grafter

My Exchange is ESROS, (Rose Street, Edinburgh) and currently it's Market 3.
Just checked that pdf and under the new system it will be Market B...phew.
Cheesy