cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phantom Upload uncapper is back

nadger
Rising Star

Re: Phantom Upload uncapper is back

My upstream was capped but Dave's tweak was supposed to have uncapped.
If you look at speed test dates last months upstream was much faster.
It's as if it's been recapped.
edit - changed router and speed increased. Reverted to previous router to see what would happen and retained upstream speed at 850.
Ah the mysteries of broadband.
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Quote from: nadger

Ah the mysteries of broadband.

Agreed! My router had been sync @8118 kb/s for weeks with max snr <2dB. Had to go in to router's config and new sync 8211 kb/s and 3.1dB snr.
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Quote from: Matt
We'd be quite happy to do it off the back of a post in these forums if you like?

hi Matt,
Since I last enquired, I can now confirm the uncapping of my upstream has been responsible for some disconnections.   Usually happens when the phone is ringing and isn't picked up quickly enough.  
The upstream noise margin used to be around 18dB.  Now, it is hovering around 5db and falls when the phone rings.  I don't have any phone extensions and double micro filtering hasn't helped, and I've always had an issue with BT's DLM setting too low target noise margins on my downstream (and now upstream) connections.
Please can you place an order to change my upstream back to 448 kbps.   Please keep me on ADSL2+.

Thanks in advance.
ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi zzZzz,
That's been placed for you now, so you'll see your upload speeds back at 448kbp/s as of tomorrow, you're still on ADSL2+.
Let me know how you get on.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Quote from: zzZzz
Since I last enquired, I can now confirm the uncapping of my upstream has been responsible for some disconnections.   Usually happens when the phone is ringing and isn't picked up quickly enough.  
SNAP - that was exactly the same experience I had and I had it capped again as you have requested
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Thanks Chris, upstream is now capped at 448 kbps.
I am looking to change to your new 'Unlimited' ADSL product in due course.  Would I be right in presuming the upstream speed would be uncapped and I could request to have it capped, via this thread, after the product change over is completed?

Update:  Performed a phone ringing test.  Ringing for half a minute, the upstream noise margin at 448 kbps dipped from normal figure of 16dB to as low as 4dB.  Not enough to cause the connection to disconnect. (I have a Panasonic DECT phone)

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 438

I wouldn't have expected a product change to affect your ADSL profile. It's simply a PlsuNet accounting change and doesn't involve BT at all.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Despite having had the upload capped because of instability - look what happened this morning
Noise Margin:     12.0  dB
Connection Rate:  864   Kbps
Line Attenuation: 24.5  dB
If the instability returned there will be a fairly impolite ticket raised
At least it had the decency to set the default noise margin to 12dB and leave me on ADSL1
Luzern
Hero

Mine has reverted to 444! Now could there be a link with my going Unlimited tomorrow and that wretched message that interleaving is to be turned off?
With depth 64 does it make sense for it to be turned off, anyway?
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 223

IT may well do and I'm sorry you were affected too @lucerne, want me to revert the upstream but try leaving interleaving off?

@zzZzz want me to do yours too?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Luzern
Hero

@ Adam
Does depth 64 imply that removing interleaving is more likely to be detrimental than not? Uncapping the upload is a "yes please"/.:)
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

That's depth 64 on the Upstream was it Lucerne? I wouldn't worry too much, DLM will soon apply it again if the setting is Auto. If things don't behave you can always request it.
Luzern
Hero

64 is downstream depth
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Has no implication on the upstream, so see how it goes.
Luzern
Hero

Will do! Smiley
But I think two matters have been conflated. The upload uncap is a hardly any brainer and has nothing to do with interleaving. My interleaving comment was about whether  its removal, it being at depth 64 would be more likely than not to cause instability.
My connection is ~8000 kb/s on a 47dB attenuation, and target SNRM 3 dB, so I consider myself one of the more fortunate. As it is interleaving is still "on".