cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet do not offer Fibre then why are they mis selling a product for somethign it is not

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Re: Plusnet do not offer Fibre then why are they mis selling a product for somethign it is not

@jab1 wrote:

... Moving from ADSL to VDSL1 in a month or so, and if VDSL2 was available at a reasonable price, I might just have considered it, although I have no real need.

Fair enough @jab1 .

I don't know a lot about VDSL flavours, but is non-VDSL2 still in use here in the UK?

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 282

Re: Plusnet do not offer Fibre then why are they mis selling a product for somethign it is not

Ooops, I might have mis-identified the tech there, @RobPN Should have said ADSL to FTTC or FTTP.😀

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 437

but is non-VDSL2 still in use here in the UK?

Not as far as I know. It's all VDSL2 but with different profiles for 40/10 and 80/20.

I might have mis-identified the tech there .

and John's not your average joe public!. The defence rests , m'lud😄

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 429

This will become more of a problem as FTTP gets rolled out. Calling FTTC 'Fibre' is totally wrong and will cause more and more confusion. I guess it was started by ISPs talking up their new FTTC service by pretending it's something that it is not. Now real fibre is coming along there's confusion.  t seem to remember objecting to the board titles used in this forum many moons ago. ADSL and Fibre make no sense to me  ADSL and VDSL does, then perhaps FTTP could then become XDSL? For those with a long memory like computer graphics adapters developed, CGA, VGA, XGA etc

People now routinely also call combined Modem/Routers Routers, causing all sorts of confusion for the unwary. Educating people to describe products and services correctly and hence minimise confusion should start with ISP employees using the correct terms, unfortunately the opposite is often the case.

I guess that the next thing will be people referring to FTTP as Broadband.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jab1
Legend

@Baldrick1 I kind of see your point, but when/if the old 'copper from exchange to premises' facility is ended, you will then, short term at least - until FTTP is everywhere - have FTTC - Fibre To The Cabinet, and FTTP (or FTTH)- Fibre To The Premises/Fibre To The Home, which I don't see as confusing at all, but maybe you think the general public is thicker than I give (most of) them credit for.

BTW - some already do as your final comment, along with 'Wi-Fi' for the connection method.

John
idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@MisterW wrote: If an ISP were to start to sell FTTC as 'not quite real Fibre'

You might well have labelled it very well there. It really is incredible when one wakes up to just how much that last bit of copper costs in lost speed. The 'main' connection for our recent FTTP install (to the whole village) is in the manhole directly in front of the FTTC cabinet. I get 80Mb on FTTC, On FTTP, I could get 1Gb (and probably upwards, if it was ever offered). But what has surprised me is just how quick the whole thing has taken to install

FTTC took around 2- 3 months, without going to individual houses etc. I suspect if they hadn't faffed about installing the cabinet for the interface between fibre and copper, it would probably have been far quicker and easier to have just installed FTTP in the first place. Live and learn.

@jab1 wrote: Moving from ADSL to VDSL1 in a month or so, and if VDSL2 was available at a reasonable price, I might just have considered it, although I have no real need.

I wouldn't have thought I had a real need for an increase in speed but since its arrived, I've been quite surprised how clearer things are on sites like Youtube come across. True it might be because I get offered 4K but even 1080p res. (which was the norm before) seem to display far better. Or maybe its down to me cleaning the glasses in celebration. 😁 

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I can't see OR retiring any copper anytime soon. Even getting rid of the E-side will involve the phone service changing to voip unless major changes to the cabinet are made to provide a voice service as well as VDSL

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@MisterW  I thought they were already phasing out copper services in some areas with all-IP coming along by end of 2025.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Yes, they're stopping selling new copper voice lines but that's vastly different from retiring the copper and telling everyone that they now need a voip phone. 

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@RobPN wrote:

@jab1 @MisterW @Hobo 

I think the (valid IMO) point @pint is making is that due to a significant number of people being fooled into thinking they already have fibre (which is how their VDSL2 connection has been described to them), they cannot see why their neighbourhood is being dug up to provide proper fibre connections which they think has already been provided.  Smiley

For the purpose of reinforcing the point quoted above, the second part of the first sentence of the OP in this thread says it all, quote;  "I have a new contract, having recently switched from copper to FTTC."   

Smiley  Cheesy

Edit:  although at least the poster refers to their connection as 'FTTC' and not just 'fibre'.  Wink

pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

If you could sell a product as Fibre, when your main link is still copper cable, all be it to a street cabinet, could you sell ADSL as Fibre - FTTE  Fibre to the Exchange and declare your company to be/have the UKs lowest priced fibre connections .

You could even throw in a mobile service, and as there will be a fibre optic network somewhere in the chain sell your mobile data as Ultra fast Wireless Fibre to the device even if it is only 3G or even Edge

jab1
Legend

@pint The longest stretch, unless you are MILES from your street cabinet is from the exchange to the local cab and the product you get should be described as FTTC - Fibre To The Cabinet. The remainder of the connection is still over the copper cable, UNLESS you are lucky enough to have FTTP - Fibre to the Premises.

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

could you sell ADSL as Fibre - FTTE  Fibre to the Exchange and declare your company to be/have the UKs lowest priced fibre connections .

Dont say that too loudly else one of the ISP's might try it!😁 although maybe even OFCOM might have something to say about that...

BTW even Virgin sell their product as Fibre and they still use coax from the aggregation nodes!

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

@MisterW wrote:

maybe even OFCOM might have something to say about that...

"What's in it for us?"

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
guykerr
Dabbler

It is confusing, fibre should refer to what is actually used to supply your service and not where it is used only "somewhere" in the supply.
In my case, I live a city (not out in the sticks or anything) and Plusnet cannot supply either FTTC or FTTP despite Open reach having made FTTP available in our street.
The best they can offer me is ADSL which is pathetic in this day and age, they will really get left behind unless they move with the times!
I probably would have stayed with Plusnet if they could supply me with FTTP but they can't so from 21st April I will have FTTP courtesy of their partner company BT.
I suspect part of the misleading use of the name fibre is down to the fact that Plusnet are just not able, or are unwilling, to try and keep up with the competition.
Time for a rethink perhaps?