cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet password visible to call centre staff

dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

Re: Plusnet password visible to call centre staff

I, like the other moderators, in no way represent the company, have special insight or privilege and time is given voluntarily with no reward.
Our role is purely to help with the smooth running and impartiality of the community forum.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Tulner
Dabbler

Quote from: dvorak
I, like the other moderators, in no way represent the company, have special insight or privilege and time is given voluntarily with no reward.
Our role is purely to help with the smooth running and impartiality of the community forum.

Once again, you DO represent the company.
You post on their official forums with "moderator" under your name.
That is all you need to "represent" the company. You have been given power by the company therefore you represent them with everything you post on these forums.
picbits
Rising Star

As far as I remember, Moderators were voted in by members on here weren't they ?
dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

Of the three current three, 2 were elected by the members and one was approached by the moderators at the time independently.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thread about moderator elections here - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,114194.0.html
picbits
Rising Star

I may add (as a Moderator on another forum), the Moderators here are *very* impartial when it comes to leaving negative or positive stuff on these forums. There is a great deal of transparency and as long as a customer isn't abusive or uses "excessive language" then their posts are left for all to see.
I vaguely remember Virgin Mobile asking me for my password (which I'd forgotten), I asked them a couple of questions to see if they could let me know which password I'd used and they had full access to my password over their systems.
While not ideal, it's not a major issue really unless you use the same password for a lot of sites and services which is *very* bad practice anyway.
x47c
Grafter

If you have fault the BTOR man needs your password to log in as you from his equipment.
Tulner
Dabbler

Quote from: picbits
As far as I remember, Moderators were voted in by members on here weren't they ?

Ok, so am I to take it you feel David Cameron does not represent Britain because he was voted in?
Moderators are in a position of power on the official forums therefore they represent the company. that is all there is to it.
They are part of the face of the company as they are the people that customers will see in power when they visit the forums.
What a moderator says or does can affect a customers opinion of the company as a whole.
And going back to the password issue, every other isp can login to the routers WITHOUT my password.
O2 has identical routers and do not need my password. They have hidden service accounts for that.
It is a bad lazy practice and there is no excuses for it, the fact they are not even willing to change their practice when customers show distaste for it just makes them look even worse.
I will be looking elsewhere, as whole experience just reeks and I do not want to find out what other rubbish they will pull later when I can no longer cancel.
Mav
Fixes: 517

All you need to know about the moderators is in the forum rules
The forums are moderated by customers, namely;  Jim (Oldjim), Adie (dvorak) and Dick (Strat).  The moderators are not paid and volunteer their time freely. They do not get any special insight into what Plusnet are doing or when your ticket is going to be answered.
The role of the moderators is to ensure that the forums provide an enjoyable and informative experience for all. They also ensure that the Forum Guidelines and rules are followed. The moderators have the right to edit, censor, delete or otherwise modify any posted message. When the moderators do edit a post however, they will attach a note to the bottom of the post explaining the purpose of the edit. Such a note will appear in either red, orange (formerly blue) or green, depending on the severity of the transgression or mistake which necessitated the edit.

My bold. I don't think there's anything there that can be interpreted as a moderator representing the company. But then what do I know Wink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Tulner
Dabbler

Once again, under their names it says Moderator.
You seriously think customers come to this forum and spend hours reading it to find out the whole life storys of the moderators?
No they do not, they see a moderator and that becomes part of the face of the company as they are in power on the official forums.
anyone with power on the official forums has a responsibility to be professional as they DO represent the company as they are one of the first points of contact on the OFFICIAL forums.
adie:quote
Anonymous
Not applicable

The moderator's won't like you quoting the previous post ! as it breaks forum rules  Roll_eyes
Tulner
Dabbler

I do not really care? It is a honestly one of the more stupid forum rules I have ever seen.
Quoting is a way to make posts easier to follow and understand someone is replying to someone else.
Totally nonsense to ban quoting, sounds like someone going on a power trip.
adie:quote
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 23

Tulner, I deal with a number of different ISP's for quite a few accounts, and I know O2, Virgin, AOL and TalkTalk definitely do have access to customer passwords.  On occasions I've even had it read to me in full on more than one occasion with one of these companies.  Others have given me "hints" on the passwords, such as "it looks like 7 random characters with a number at the end".

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

zubel
Community Veteran

Dude, you sound like an idiot.
From a customer, not a moderator...
Tulner
Dabbler

Quote from: pjmarsh
Tulner, I deal with a number of different ISP's for quite a few accounts, and I know O2, Virgin, AOL and TalkTalk definitely do have access to customer passwords.  On occasions I've even had it read to me in full on more than one occasion with one of these companies.  Others have given me "hints" on the passwords, such as "it looks like 7 random characters with a number at the end".

No, what O2 calls your "password" is the your security question answer. And this is the same with several providers.
Your security question answer is used as your "password" when contacting them.