cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet will give your personal details to ACS Law with not informing you!!

BoneMan
Grafter

Re: Plusnet will give your personal details to ACS Law with not informing you!!

Wot Tidgy said  Smiley
dick:quote
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Quote from: Tidgy
Please do the same PN  Smiley
Indeed, regardless of Plusnets thoughts about piracy or anything, before it allowed its customer database to be minded for money by a 3rd party, it should have been making sure the data requests were legitimate, I have said time and again here, they are not, and they are obviously not.
brownb2
Grafter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/rorycellanjones/2010/09/acslaw.html
Mr Heaney says TalkTalk has never handed over customer data to ACS:Law ...  He went on: "I'm not going to expose my customers to letters that they would consider bullying and threatening."

Wow who'd have thunk bad boys Talk Talk known for pilfering their customers from other ISPs would turn good and our top dog (and/or BT) has no bark and has pee'd in its own back yard vis a vis passing on its own customers' confidential details (possibly unencrypted) on a whim and a whistle. Didn't anybody ever tell them never bite the hand that feeds you...? I guess ACS Law will soon find that one out LOL
Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!
Toolbox
Grafter

BSkyB to challenge requests for customer information from ACS:Law - guardian.co.uk

[quote=Plusnet]
"Our first concern is with our customers but we have been obliged to respond to court orders requiring that we disclose customer data. However, there is increasing evidence that there are deep concerns regarding the integrity of the process being used by rights holders to obtain customer data from ISPs for pursuing alleged copyright infringements.
"We need to have further confidence that the initial information gathered by rights holders is robust and that our customers will not be treated unfairly. We are urgently exploring how this can be assured, including through the assistance of the courts."
bartstope
Grafter

Quote from: BoneMan
Mr Heaney says TalkTalk has never handed over customer data to ACS:Law or any other legal firm. Other ISPs suggested that was because no demand had ever been made, but Mr Heaney told me that was not the case: "We're continually approached by lawyers from ACS:Law and other firms and have consistently said 'no'. We've said, 'Let's have a debate in court if you think you've a reasonable case.' None of them have ever taken us up on the offer." He went on: "I'm not going to expose my customers to letters that they would consider bullying and threatening."

Please do the same PN  Smiley

Wot Tidgy said  Smiley

hear hear.
i think plus.net / bt's processes are nothing short of a sham. they never bothered to protect the interests of their customers because they couldn't be arsed to send somebody to court to contest any of these ridiculous accusations, based on incredibly flimsy evidence on the hearsay of a company who's own evidence gathering processes have not been evaluated or proven reliable.
it gets worse than this though, by reading this thread it seems the very mechanism which plusnet is using to identify alleged offenders is logs from a RADIUS server!!
that doesn't prove ANYTHING. what on earth were they doing handing out personal details in an unencrypted form without challenging any of this?
who made this decision?
would it be possible for plusnet to detail EXACTLY what information it holds on each customer, in a generic fashion? just what activities is it logging?
and who has access to web browsing histories of customers?
given it was just emailed over in an unencrypted form, could it be just anybody and everybody within the company?
how can we be sure that the rest of plusnet's processes are secure if they are so happy to just email over people's details with absolutely no security?
surely plusnet have a duty of care to ensure that any information they are sending out is going to be stored and processed securely? they say they are going to do this now, but why weren't they doing it before?  why aren't they on our side?
i am disgusted and disappointed by plus.net's incompetence and liberal attitude with private data. the sort of information  they are causally sending unencrypted could have serious repercussions on the lives of the individuals concerned.  this is nothing short of an outrage.
brownb2
Grafter

Quote from: Toolbox
BSkyB to challenge requests for customer information from ACS:Law - guardian.co.uk

Alex Hanff! I went to university with that guy and can probably still contact him through a friend of a friend. It's a small world!
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

I never, ever, thought that I would one day write -
Well done TalkTalk
Murphy was an optimist
Zen SOGEA 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
isv

Quote from: bartstope
Quote from: BoneMan
Mr Heaney says TalkTalk has never handed over customer data to ACS:Law or any other legal firm. Other ISPs suggested that was because no demand had ever been made, but Mr Heaney told me that was not the case: "We're continually approached by lawyers from ACS:Law and other firms and have consistently said 'no'. We've said, 'Let's have a debate in court if you think you've a reasonable case.' None of them have ever taken us up on the offer." He went on: "I'm not going to expose my customers to letters that they would consider bullying and threatening."

Please do the same PN  Smiley

Wot Tidgy said  Smiley

hear hear.
i think plus.net / bt's processes are nothing short of a sham. they never bothered to protect the interests of their customers because they couldn't be arsed to send somebody to court to contest any of these ridiculous accusations, based on incredibly flimsy evidence on the hearsay of a company who's own evidence gathering processes have not been evaluated or proven reliable.
it gets worse than this though, by reading this thread it seems the very mechanism which plusnet is using to identify alleged offenders is logs from a RADIUS server!!
that doesn't prove ANYTHING. what on earth were they doing handing out personal details in an unencrypted form without challenging any of this?
who made this decision?
would it be possible for plusnet to detail EXACTLY what information it holds on each customer, in a generic fashion? just what activities is it logging?
and who has access to web browsing histories of customers?
given it was just emailed over in an unencrypted form, could it be just anybody and everybody within the company?
how can we be sure that the rest of plusnet's processes are secure if they are so happy to just email over people's details with absolutely no security?
surely plusnet have a duty of care to ensure that any information they are sending out is going to be stored and processed securely? they say they are going to do this now, but why weren't they doing it before?  why aren't they on our side?
i am disgusted and disappointed by plus.net's incompetence and liberal attitude with private data. the sort of information  they are causally sending unencrypted could have serious repercussions on the lives of the individuals concerned.  this is nothing short of an outrage.

I totally agree with all of the above. I am deeply concerned that PlusNet so readily handed over customer data without standing to fight. To cap it all they then send customer data out to a third-party with no protection whatsoever - numbskulls.  As a business customer I've spent many £1,000s with PlusNet over the years and whilst the technical service is terrific it horrifies me to learn that they offer my personal data no protection whatsoever. Heads should roll over this. I for one will definitely be seeking a full explanation of what changes will be put in place to prevent this in future.
Whilst (I hope) my name is not on the list... it must be a terrifying prospect to be on the receiving end of these ACS:Law bullies - I do hope everyone now stands firm and refuses to play ball.
Alan.
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Quote from: 4C
I never, ever, thought that I would one day write -
Well done TalkTalk
I does indeed seem a very strange thing to say, especially if you contrast Plusnet to Talk Talk, but in this case, Talk Talk have provided customer care and service several country miles ahead of that provided by Plusnet.  Shame on you Plusnet.
davethir
Grafter

http://www.yourfilehost.com/media.php?cat=other&file=British_Sky_Agreement_Andres_Gunnar_Ballinas_Ol...
This a link to a document showing that Sky had a secret agreement with Acs law(for their client Balinas Olinas) to provide IP addresses for a fee. It states in the document that the arrangement is to remain SECRET............................Oooooops
brownb2
Grafter

Now I'm almost sure that one is illegal unless users have given their explicit consent to allow their details to be sold or it was by court order. The ICO are going to have a field day with ACS Law and the ISPs. I'm cracking open the beer and popcorn for watching the fireworks over the next few months and I'm not talking Guy Fawkes although no doubt someone will get strung up!
[Moderator's note by Jim (Oldjim):  Full quote of preceding post removed, as per Forum Rules ]
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Sky do have a conflict of interest here, but they seem to have sided with the content creation side of the business empire of Rupert Murdoch, no great surprise there.  As many have noted elsewhere, News International's outlets have so far provided no coverage of the ACS:Law thing at all, it makes a total mockery of the idea of a free press.
watching
Grafter

Quote from: brownb2
Quote from: davethir
http://www.yourfilehost.com/media.php?cat=other&file=British_Sky_Agreement_Andres_Gunnar_Ballinas_Ol...
This a link to a document showing that Sky had a secret agreement with Acs law(for their client Balinas Olinas) to provide IP addresses for a fee. It states in the document that the arrangement is to remain SECRET............................Oooooops

Now I'm almost sure that one is illegal unless users have given their explicit consent to allow their details to be sold or it was by court order.

Page 2, part D makes it clear that it would only be provided subject to a court order. But that's entirely academic; as we've seen - if an ISP pre-agrees (as did Plusnet) not to contest the application for the court order then the process becomes a purely paper exercise. It's not like there's actually any legal rigour (ie. justice) applied.
JEB
Grafter

Quote from: fourfourdevon
Sky do have a conflict of interest here, but they seem to have sided with the content creation side of the business empire of Rupert Murdoch, no great surprise there.  As many have noted elsewhere, News International's outlets have so far provided no coverage of the ACS:Law thing at all, it makes a total mockery of the idea of a free press.

There are articles on both The Times and Telegraph's websites.
mikeyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Interesting post over on slyck.com

http://www.mytorrenttracker.com/.
Is myTorrentTracker different from other open trackers?
   Yes! We take the extra step of adding random IPs to our lists at random intervals. This ensures that anyone who connects to our tracker with the goal of gathering information, will never   know who is downloading what and which IPs are there for real.

edit:  Does that mean the random IP addresses could match real innocent users IP addresses?