skuffdj
Grafter

Re: Problem after problem

double post - deleted
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Have you no phones (I meant everything)? If you have a phone is it wired or cordless (DECT)?
Do you only have the one master socket and no phone extensions?
Unless you've already tried alternatives, I certainly wouldn't rule out a dodgy router or filter at this stage.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
skuffdj
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
Looking at those stats it appears that your target noise margin has been pushed up to 12, so the router is currently syncing slower than it might. BT push the noise margin up to try and stabilise the line is you either are getting disconnections or there are a significant number of errors - and your stats are showing more errors than I would like.
If you could describe your setup we'll set about trying to discover why those are happening - running routerstats if your router is one that is supported would be good.
Edit: Your attenuation suggests you should be able to sync at the full 8MB.

8mb would be nice.. The only thing i can think is that i was reseting the router every night over the weekend to see if would help my ping on xboxlive, that is the only thing that has been different
skuffdj
Grafter

I have 1 main socket down stairs, with a wired phone, so Main socket - filter - Home phone - router phone cable - router
Up stairs we have another 2 sockets that were put in when the house was built, but are not used
Ill try and change the filter, but that would mean disconecting the internet, which i was told not to do for a few days? And this is the second router i have at the moment, as the first one plusnet sent me stopped working all together
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Have you tried using the test socket behind the lower part of the master socket
jelv
Seasoned Hero

If you were running routerstats you would see that the noise margin tends to be at it's highest during daylight hours and drops during the evening. Rebooting the router at night therefore guarantees the lowest sync speed. If you need to gateway hop there should be a disconnect/reconnect option in the router that will drop the PPP session without dropping sync with the exchange.
At the moment those other two extensions could be causing problems even though they are not in use. If you have a master socket with a removable lower half you should find that if you plug the filter in to the test socket inside the other two extensions should be dead (if they are not you have a definite problem!). If you could run off the test socket like that and keep an eye on the stats - noise margin, sync speed and errors (ignore speed tests until we get you syncing at decent speeds). If that is better a filtered face plate may be the ideal solution for you.
skuffdj
Grafter

No i havent tbh, but i know every other time that ive been asked to try that, it has made no changes at all.. But if i get chance before i go to work tonight ill try it
skuffdj
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
If you were running routerstats you would see that the noise margin tends to be at it's highest during daylight hours and drops during the evening. Rebooting the router at night therefore guarantees the lowest sync speed. If you need to gateway hop there should be a disconnect/reconnect option in the router that will drop the PPP session without dropping sync with the exchange.
At the moment those other two extensions could be causing problems even though they are not in use. If you have a master socket with a removable lower half you should find that if you plug the filter in to the test socket inside the other two extensions should be dead (if they are not you have a definite problem!). If you could run off the test socket like that and keep an eye on the stats - noise margin, sync speed and errors (ignore speed tests until we get you syncing at decent speeds). If that is better a filtered face plate may be the ideal solution for you.

The other 2 have been connected for the whole time we have lived here, so i dont see why that would be a problem now after 3 months?  I will try the test socket as soon as i can.. So in future, if i have to reset the router, im better off doing it through the computer, than turning the router off completly?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

When you said using the test socket didn't make any difference , what did you mean? (I hope you were not expecting to see an immediate increase in speed test results since because of the way the stupid BT IP Profile works it is guaranteed that you would be disappointed!).
If you just want to connect to a different gateway you should always do it via the routers web page.
skuffdj
Grafter

No i left it in the test socket for 24 hours, and the tests were exactly the same.. Ill try again though.. But if you say i should'nt have been turning the router off a few times a night to reset it, could that have caused the problem?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

If you've been rebooting the router a lot the BT systems are likely to have misinterpreted that as an unstable line.
If you could take a copy of the router stats tomorrow morning, then swap to use the test socket and immediately get the stats again. Post both sets so we can see if that has made a significant difference.
Leave it plugged like that for a day without rebooting and take the stats again so that we can see how many errors it logs over a period.
skuffdj
Grafter

Yes i was doing it once or twice a night  ;)..But ok, ill do it when i get in tomorrow morning, thanks for the help
skuffdj
Grafter

Link Information

Uptime: 1 day, 17:18:03
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 5,152
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 19.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 10.5 / 22.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 20.0 / 13.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 15 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 8 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 29 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 34,245
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 129
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 94
Bt test
Download speedachieved during the test was - 2312 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :5152 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 2500 Kbps
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

As Jelv says, I'd be expecting a higher sync speed due to the low attenuation of your line, it'll be the high SNR causing the lower sync speed. The higher SNR will be caused by something causing extra noise on your line.
Can you try another filter? If you've already tried this and I've missed that post then sorry.
I can also request a one-off reset of your SNR, this will reset it back to a 6db margin, but I wouldn't recommend this until you've tried an alternate filter.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I'd like to see a comparison of the router stats using the test socket and the normal socket taken only as long apart as it takes to do the swap and re-establish the connection.