cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem after problem

skuffdj
Grafter

Re: Problem after problem

Yes, bbc essex is 3 miles from my house.. Is there anything i can do about this?
What would happen if PN just tried throwing 8mb down my line  Smiley
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 439

Cheers Pierre,
I could see why Radio Essex might be having an effect but the Radio 5 transmitter is a long way away.
Either way, MW transmitters shouldn't really affect an otherwise good telephone line. It tends to indicate an underlying fault which is allowing the external interference to have such a big effect. IIRC you're in the Chelmsford area and I'm sure your ADSL isn't affected to that extent by the Radio Essex transmitter. 
What would happen if PN just tried throwing 8mb down my line

They can't, the router and the exchange ( the DSLAM ) will negotiate the fastest speed that the line is capable of, up to 8Mb. In your case because of the noise present at certain frequencies, not many bits can be used in those tones and thus the overall speed is reduced.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pierre_pierre
Grafter

area may be  but more like 15 mile.
and what does this tell you
Link Information

Uptime: 6 days, 11:40:56
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 8,128
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 19.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 10.5 / 17.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 25.0 / 12.0
Grin Grin
PS  TG 585 V7 - couldnt get the frequency plot to work
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 439

and what does this tell you
Uptime:  6 days, 11:40:56
DSL Type:  G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:  448 / 8,128
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]:  0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:  12.0 / 19.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:  10.5 / 17.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:  25.0 / 12.0

Now you see, Pierre, your attenuation at 17db is not that much different from skuffdj's at 22 and your stats are much more like what you would expect. Obviously your line isn't suffering from the same interference.
Only seems to be you and me around today, maybe everyone else is still sleeping off last nights excesses Smiley
I was hoping that some of the others might be around with some opinions on the interference and possible causes.

@skuffdj, Is your telephone line underground or overhead ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

skuffdj
Grafter

Its overhead i believe mate..
Its really getting to me now, i had a constent 5.3mb connection for 3 months, and now get this
skuffdj
Grafter

Quote from: Chris

Can you try another filter? If you've already tried this and I've missed that post then sorry.
I can also request a one-off reset of your SNR, this will reset it back to a 6db margin, but I wouldn't recommend this until you've tried an alternate filter.

Would this benefit me at all now? as id like to request it
skuffdj
Grafter

I take it PN don't support LLU? as i  just checked, and talk talk can offer me 9.7mb + the booster which can take me to around 15mb.. 2 of my friends are with them, and have a quality connection 24 hours a day.. Unlimited downloads for just £14.99 a month.. I think i may just switch Huh
HPsauce
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: skuffdj
I take it PN don't support LLU?

From the way you've phrased the rest of the question I suspect you're misunderstanding what LLU is and what some other options (probably ADSL2+) are.
LLU is just non-BT broadband equipment in the exchange (in this context anyway, it actually covers other things too). It's still the same phone line, so if the problem is due to your line it will still be there with LLU.
Several LLU providers offer ADSL2+ which, on shorter lines, can offer higher speeds.
PN have provided some services via LLU, I think using Tiscali. This has been (or is being) phased out.
PN provide ADSL2+ services where available via BT. In many areas the LLU providers have delivered ADSL2+ before BT.
Hope that clarifies things somewhat. LLU is most definitely NOT a magic wand for broadband problems.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Also Centre Chelmsford is one on the first comers in the Fibre to Cabinet trial, dont know what the time table is but it shouldnt be long, and that might give you up to 50 M but stated to be 20M - and will be supported by PN
skuffdj
Grafter

I know its not a 'magical' new thing, but they tested my line and said i can get 9.7mb?
I cant see this noise being a new thing, so i don't know why they have dropped my connection so much..
But with LLU doesn't the provider set the profile speed instead of BT?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

PNs info about Fibre to cabinet here http://community.plus.net/blog/2009/06/12/plusnet-to-trial-fibre-to-the-cabinet-fttc/ Much better than LLU
Looks like a date of 18 Jan for info on Chelmsford  http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/news/productbriefings/nga/nga05109.do
itsme
Grafter

I know its not a 'magical' new thing, but they tested my line and said i can get 9.7mb?
I cant see this noise being a new thing, so i don't know why they have dropped my connection so much..

No LLU equipment can test a line when it's still on the BT equipment. When the LLU company give you an estimate on the likely speed it's coming from BT database.
You are syncing with the exchange above 5mbps but your profile was set to 2500, probably because of a low sync event. Is your profile still this low? refer to post #1 to get your BT and PN profiles. As you are getting interference from radio stations I would recommend  that you remove the ring wire as this act as an aerial and leave your router on 24/7. Then ask for the SNR margin to be reset to 6db
HPsauce
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

They all do it differently (to each other and to BT) and don't generally have a "profile" system that is much like BT's.
In some cases not being "profiled" can be a good thing as it gives rapid recovery from occasional severe transient errors, but in other cases it's bad as frequent errors just keep causing problems.
Also, if by moving to an LLU provider you also move to ADSL2+ you are quite likely to make things worse. ADSL2+ is more sensitive to line issues than ADSLmax. You need to get those sorted out first, as far as possible.
PS (edit) if your line attenuation really is 22dB then you could get nearly 20mbps with ADSL2+ ON A CLEAN LINE.
My line is 21dB and is currently at 19858kbps on ADSL2+. It's usually faster than that once the Xmas lights have gone, up to 22mbps in summer.
skuffdj
Grafter

I dont have adsl2 at my exchange though unfortunately
Im just thinking about other options at the mo incase things stay the same..
By bypassing the bell wire, i only got 1 less db? But i didnt run a bitgraph test.. Ill try that when i get home later

They seem to have upped my profile now, but speed has not changed
BT
Download speedachieved during the test was - 2221 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :5120 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 4500 Kbps
PN
Estimated line speed:
   6 - Checked on 2009-11-27 09:36:51
Current line speed:
Edit: Just reset the connection through the router settings, and seems to be a lot better, but still 1mb short of what i was getting
http://www.speedtest.net/result/669504910.png
skuffdj
Grafter

Just got home, and thought id do another test and speed has dropped again
BT
Download speedachieved during the test was - 2927 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :5120 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 4500 Kbps
Sad