Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tarriff Rip Off

JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: Tarriff Rip Off

Surely the point here is that although PN's products are all well priced you still have to make sure you choose the right one for your expected requirements (you wouldn't try and save money by only putting a gallon of petrol in your car before a long journey and then complain to the petrol company when you ran out of petrol, would you?)  Roll_eyes
nadger
Rising Star

@maranello - The £15.98 that we basically pay breaks down as follows:-
Monthly E&W line rental paid in advance £9.49 + Value £6.49 = £15.98
After referrals I only pay £12.98/month.

maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

Thanks nadger, thats another combination that works out at £15.98. However, that doesn't include caller display or 60Gb allowance.
I was only looking for clarification since I appear to be paying more and getting less, which was the OP's complaint. However, from the subsequent threads it is clear that, as JayG pointed out, getting the right package for your particular circumstances could save you some money.
I could add the warning that quoting inaccurate or ambiguous monthly pricing can lead to the sort of complaint raised by the OP. If I was the complaining sort  Roll_eyes I would be wondering why I was paying  £20.47 per month (£6.49 for Value, 99p for caller display and £12.99 line rental with included E&W calls) when anniesboy and Peter Loftus are getting an extra 50Gb per month and all calls for less. I know, however, that if I chose to pay line rental upfront I could save £3.50 equivalent per month. But it is misleading not to include the line rental in the monthly cost even if paid in advance. I would therefore be paying £16.97 per month over the year for the package I am on, or £24.97 per month to include 60Gb and all calls.
When all's said and done I am happy that I am getting the best package for my needs.
My other car isn't a Ferrari
nadger
Rising Star

Unless someone signed up for one of the new customer deals I can't see how anyone is paying less than I do for a basic account. That's why I specified exactly what I've got.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@maranello - other contributors are probably not quoting "inaccurate or ambiguous monthly pricing" as they may have negotiated a favourable deal for their circumstances, either to encourage them not to leave Plusnet, or as compensation for receiving a long period of poor service which has subsequently been resolved, or they could quite easily be on a legacy package with similar but not identical pricing but with more features than the current offerings.
maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

I prefer to believe that contributors to this thread are making genuine and unintentional misrepresentations rather than bragging. There is no mention of legacy packages, and I believe their intention is to demonstrate to the OP that current packages are available that are more suitable to his/her requirements and cheaper than his/her recent billing.
My other car isn't a Ferrari
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I agree, people who get preferential rates should learn to keep there mouths shut.
I am till on an ancient package that suits me as a light use and it works out slightly lower than a new one paying yearly
anniesboy
Rising Star

What i posted was > Having agreed to pay my line rental in advance (£113.88).
My monthly total is £15.98.
So having paid £113.88 for 12 months line rental
My monthly total is £15.98 ,that breaks down as follows , Plusnet Extra £11.49, Anytime calls £3.50, Caller Display 0.99
Thus my annual payment is £113.88 +  £15.98 x 12  = £305.75
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

My case is very relevant to the OP
When I migrated across to PN I had the value package but found myself paying the extra £5/£10 because 10GB didn't cover my needs
Soooo... Instead of what the OP did I contacted PN, including this forum, and moved on to the 60GB package and negotiated a newbe discount which similar to that originally applied to my first package.
You wont be able to match my payments exactly as I always pay some extra for some calls to mobiles etc.
My message is monitor your usage and calls and contact PN as soon as things seem to be going wrong. They really want customers to be on appropriate packages and there is enough info available to enable customers to make informed decisions.  Wink Cool Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

My total transactions since I joined  Cool
30254618 £20.00 £0.00 27/11/2011 Fully Paid Scheduled Payments
29667370 £19.46 £0.00 27/10/2011 Fully Paid Scheduled Payments
29082158 £21.28 £0.00 27/09/2011 Fully Paid Scheduled Payments
28508797 £17.50 £0.00 27/08/2011 Fully Paid Scheduled Payments
27949476 £34.40 £0.00 27/07/2011 Fully Paid Scheduled Payments
27400700 £29.67 £0.00 27/06/2011 Fully Paid Scheduled Payments
27136082 £7.69 £0.00 13/06/2011 Fully Paid Talk Anytime pro-rata charge
26846384 £11.48 £0.00 27/05/2011 Fully Paid Initial Charge
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
nadger
Rising Star

As I thought my £15.98 is available to anyone on a Market 3 exchange, as I am.
No special deals involved so for £20.98 I could have 60Gb Extra package.
@anniesboy - you are actually paying a total of £25.98 per month.
BRABUS
Grafter

Just keep browsing the competitions web sites and also the comparrison sites.  If you find a cheaper deal the ring PN and tell them and they will honour it.  I constantly check for special deals and it saves me quite nicely thanks.
twitchy14
Grafter

Sorry to say l,m more with `freelance` in my initial attitude towards pn, origonally paying 30=33 approx to sky and virgin which included freeview with Sky, changing to pn for economy having seen ad of 3.49 plus line rental sounded a very good deal which would cut my costs by half monthly.
Signed up having been led to believe by those in the know, which l,m not, l0gb would meet my moderate users needs, passed that in a week, so decided l,d no choice but to move up to 60gb allowance, at extra cost ll.49, but told they couldnt, wouldnt, change it till next dd due, in which time used another extra 10gb, so had l5pound extra to pay for that, also upped to the anytime calls, hoping it would work out cheaper.  On top of extra monthly outgoings which l didnt sign up expecting, l also have had many loss signal,s, which is frustrating and annoying, averaged more in a week than in l yr with sky, 4 with virgin, rare and very short term events with those two companies.  I was offered a small discount for problems experienced in first month, which l appreciated, but it didnt compensate for the extra charges or frequent loss of signal.  How people stay below l0gb l dont know, as l consider myself a light user, 2-3hrs daily, mainly email, ebay, little surfing bookings, dont ever download films, utube etc. 
l wasnt aware of the discount for paying yearly line rental in advance, which that has now also gone up in price monthly, never heard of newby discounts as stated on here, nor legacy, l really dislike the practise of negotiating new or special terms to people who ring and discuss-complain or threaten to leave, seems its not exclusive to pn, l on getting a large bill from bg rang and complained and was told they would put me on a new tariff which should reduce my bills, what, why not the cheaper tariff from start, why not be upfront with all customers, does it suggest that customers who dont ring and complain, perhaps older or more vunerable customers will always continue to pay the top rates, not right.
For me with pn it means l have average 30 per month from start in late september, so barely saved on sky or virgin prices, with freeview and reliable signal for it.  At present l am just biding my time patiently with a presumably more set-settled  monthly cost, noting when l have a lost signal, being aware of present costs of others isp.  l would guess freelance didnt change back in september due to giving pn the benafit of the doubt, keeping in mind cancellation charges of near l00 pound, and despite what goverment ministers say `simply change` is not that easy, hassle and extra costs involved, both ends often
For those of you who reply and have had all the knowledge and benafits from start, by whatever means,  good luck to you, some of us haven`t, due to taking things at face value, seemingly a mistake in present business,s.
Communicate
    Phone Calls
    Webmail
    Discussion forums
    USENET
    My Circular
My Account
    Account details
    Email Settings
    Domain names
    Connection settings
    Tools
My Referrals
    About Referrals
    How Do I Refer?
    Referral Values
    Referrals FAQ
    Current Referrals
My Account
View Transactions
Check on your recent payments - click on individual transactions for more details.
Invoice Value Balance Invoice Date Status Description
30432760 £33.35 £0.00 06/12/2011 Fully Paid Scheduled Payments
30048666 £-8.55 £0.00 17/11/2011 Credit Note Account Credit Note
29847352 £46.87 £0.00 06/11/2011 Part-Paid Scheduled Payments
29498002 £-5.00 £0.00 18/10/2011 Credit Note Account Credit Note
29263735 £12.98 £0.00 07/10/2011 Part-Paid Scheduled Payments
28983025 £8.23 £0.00 22/09/2011 Fully Paid Initial Charge
nadger
Rising Star

Some of us have no problem staying under 10Gb even after Ofcom/Samknows use over 2Gb for testing. I've got my account set for £0 extra payments so, should I hit limit, it'll just slow connection for a few days.
I, for one, have never phoned Plusnet threatening to leave hoping to be offered a better deal but have to admit suggesting it to people in my Pipex days. They were referred to as retention deals and meant agreeing to stay for a further 12 months - rather like the current telephone deal.
WWWombat
Grafter

If someone joins Plusnet without knowing how much bandwidth they'll use, they are almost certainly going to be better off by taking "Extra" at first, and dropping back to "Value" later when it turns out they don't need the extra capacity. Given that the extra £5 cost is equivalent to only one extra chunk of 5GB, it makes sense to me...
However, for those people captured by the "£3.24" (or whatever) marketing deals, this doesn't make much sense - so they need to be kept informed as to whether they are on the right deal.
Perhaps this could be done in the same way as BT do their 10-day "training period": Plusnet could do a 1 month settling-in period, aimed at getting the user onto the most appropriate package. For example, start on "value" but extra usage (up to the 60GB) is available for a one-off £5 provided the user upgrades to an "Extra" account in time for the next billing date. Or start on "Extra" with an automatic downgrade to "Value" if usage is less than 10GB. There are other ways to do this, but overall it can be sold as a "making sure you are on the right tariff" checkup after 1 month - a bit like a waiter checking your meal is OK at a restaurant.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.