cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Plusnet curse?....On & On 1 Year On!

popeyeuk
Grafter

Re: The Plusnet curse?...7months on!!!!!

Wow this thread is an epic..  You guy's will going out to the pub soon..  Grin
Great music links.. Roll_eyes
TicnTac
Grafter

Quote from: popeyeuk
Wow this thread is an epic..

An epic farce at times  Roll_eyes For that I can't really blame Adam, for that we have to blame BT the odd muppet at Plusnet and a strange person who does wookie impressions!  Undecided

You guy's will going out to the pub soon..   Grin

Adam doesn't get paid enough to travel properly let alone long distance and across water to us  Undecided Shame, but maybe a tour could be organised for the band he's in? Either that, or I might just send him a bottle of something for crimbo!
Great music links.. Roll_eyes

At least we have something in common! It does help as I'm sure the dry humour, very bad sarcasm, ill health, me getting rather cross at times, and I'm sure there have been times where he's wished me away  Roll_eyes
Glad you enjoyed the read Wink  Grin
TicnTac
Grafter

Right, back on topic:
Going to guess there was a good reason for not able to ring me back?  Roll_eyes Sorry I wasn't able to take your call into the surgery, but it wouldn't have been to ideal for both of us I'm afraid.  Roll_eyes
Did I tell you the return bags haven't arrived? Just out of interest, how many bags are meant to be floating about the Royal Mail system? They might end up floating as shares with the company at this rate  Roll_eyes Sad
Stats on router haven't changed so I shall do the following:
wait for a quiet time to reboot / re-sync, with current V8
leave it running to see how it pans  
worse case, will fire up the duff V8 I fixed  Roll_eyes
I suggest you call between 0800-1300hrs on Monday as you might get to chat to Mr BT, hope it's not the ____ who came last time, otherwise they'll be sent packing!  Angry
What "fault" was BT working on in the exchange, why did they lift & shift me to a fault in the first / second / place, if my profile is now set to the profile of "no profile" would have BT first caused the fault on the fault on top of the fault that originated to be the first fault before the voice fault that is after the line fault, and the connection fault, that resulted in the cable fault  being sorted, before the first exchange fault was discovered? Did that make any sense?  Undecided
Going to guess you and Matt will be on standby for next week then? How come Mand never responded, she was online and active? Also how come Mr Newbie CSA struggled to handle such a call requesting the DCT? Where was Matt anyway? Why Matt? Who is Matt?
Anyway, looks like the fault is going to go into another week, heading towards 8 months!  Shocked Roll_eyes Angry
Apart from that (yes I will update you on the weekend if anything happens that is going to be worth posting), so apart from that.........
Think we need to get your mode of transport sorted, now, I've chosen two, in original Plusnet Livery, a few transfers and I'm sure they could claim the tax allowance for company transport:
Number: 1

Number 2:

Will guess they are both to your liking  Wink
Now, lets get this fault sorted!  Roll_eyes Or destroy BT? Pop round for a beer?  Grin Buy a car?  Wink
Might even have to put some katie in here
>
..........but not Sheffield Wink
Just a thought, yes this is the modified bit:
-cpls6o>
-cpls6o that'll be perfect for you, now go get BT! Wink
TicnTac
Grafter

ooooo I forgot I posted pretty pictures of cars and bikes  Smiley
No BT, no BT, no o o o no BT...........as of yet anyway  Roll_eyes
So in mean time I have a choice of.......ooooo hang on I heard a door...................it wasn't BT, so, in the mean time I have a choice of the Gardeners World to my left, or the Hornby Magazine to my right.
Squeaks to you later Mr A.  Smiley
Ta
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 223

Going to guess there was a good reason for not able to ring me back?  Roll Eyes Sorry I wasn't able to take your call into the surgery, but it wouldn't have been to ideal for both of us I'm afraid.  Roll Eyes

Sorry about that Tim, the best way I can put it is that the bike smash broke me more than I initially realised I think the adrenaline kept me going as normal into mid afternoon on Friday until I took a turn for the worse. OK now after a restful weekend, just bruised and stiff.
Adam doesn't get paid enough to travel properly let alone long distance and across water to us  Undecided  Shame, but maybe a tour could be organised for the band he's in? Either that, or I might just send him a bottle of something for crimbo!

I'd best behave myself then! I like a drink as much as the next man, the only bottle I've got to hand at the moment is TCP Cheesy plans are afoot for some tour dates so I'll make sure I send you some info nearer the time. Purely by chance our drummer, bassist and guitarist all have fathers from Northern Ireland and have family connections in places like Belfast and Ardglass (one of the said gents used to play in a band with a chap called Van Morrison) so we may end up over there at some point in the future.
Love the vehicles BTW, not sure about the paint jobs but I adore Dodge Chargers (and choppers) if they were black with red trim I'd be all over them (have a look at the Agusta on here http://coolmaterial.com/roundup/manly-motorcycles/)
Going to guess you and Matt will be on standby for next week then? How come Mand never responded, she was online and active? Also how come Mr Newbie CSA struggled to handle such a call requesting the DCT? Where was Matt anyway? Why Matt? Who is Matt?

I'll check with Mand on that one Tim she isn't part of our department but used to be and does help out at busier times. As for the new agent you dealt with I don't know why that was handled badly but I am addressing that with him today.
BTW the engineer was dispatched at 10:26 according to BT's systems so my guess is they are either on their way or are already with you.
I will be in touch later, I can't promise it will be before one but I will be in touch.
Adam.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
TicnTac
Grafter

BT been and gone.............new socket / faceplate / lower sync.  Roll_eyes His stats and sync were far better than this lot of just Ctrl-C'd 5046  Shocked Sad with a bitty USB Voyager  Roll_eyes
    Link Information

Uptime:    0 days, 0:02:05
DSL Type:    G.992.3 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:    444 / 3,576
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]:    165.00 / 886.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:    12.5 / 18.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:    33.5 / 57.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:    20.5 / 6.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote):    TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):    1,254 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):    196,607 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):    0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):    0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):    262,156 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down):    0 / 612
CRC Errors (Up/Down):    0 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down):    0 / 0

Any more V8's?  Grin
He seems to think there has to be an issue with the routers (V8's), why he removed the SFI's faceplate which had been proved superior to the BT ones I have no idea?  Undecided
Anyhoo, ummmmm............any ideas?
Undecided

Roll_eyes best we've had yet.........................
................so.......................
........the colour purple was chosen for the purposes of a Plusnet livery Wink
As for anything else...........speak to you in a bit!
Ta!
TicnTac
Grafter

Right, so if we take stock so far: (literally)
4 x NTE2005e Sockets
2 x ADSL Nation Filter Face Plates
3 x BT Filter Face Plates
2 x Thomson V7's (Plusnet standard router) (1 x Test Router)
1 x D-Link Router
2 x BT Home Hub V2.0 Home Hub
2 x Thomson V8's (Plusnet trial router)
2 x House To UG J Box Pair Change
2 x House To Exchange Pair Change
2 x Profile Lifts
Several Profile Bandings
1 x Profile set to (No Profile)
7 x Months
1 x Very long Forum Thread
Several Hours of phone calls (hours of fun and banter with Adam) (an hour or so of frustration and sarcasm)  Wink
So what we have now:
Back to April's Sync.
Voice line acceptable
Throughput not acceptable
Errors a mass with this router
What did we learn today?
BT man knew nothing of previous work to the job
BT man used a USB Voyager 220 (or something)
BT man got no errors and good sync. speed on his connection
BT man spent less than 15mins at property
BT man changed socket and faceplate (to note previous SFI changed socket and BT face place to ADSL nation face plate)
So the questions we have:
Is it the router?
Is there still a fault on the line exchange end?
Do we need to re-study for a pattern?
Should we give up when we're so close and go else where?
How is BT able to get away with walking all over Plusnet and it's customer?
Will Adam be given a bonus of £6495 - because we think he should be! (specific I know but we have something in mind for him).
mmmmmmm Adam  Smiley now there is a thought, and no one will know what I mean on that, apart from my other half, not even Adam!  Roll_eyes
Who was it doing wookie impressions?  Roll_eyes
Why did Mand's PM get lost?
Should we try yet another router?
Is the line router specific?
Why am I shivering whilst running a temperature of 40.4°C?  Undecided
Why have I got nothing better to do than reply on this fault almost every night?
Wonders if Plusnet would sponsor Adam's UK & Eire World Tour?
Wonders how rich I would be if I got £100 for every time PN & Plusnet was mentioned in this thread?
Wonders why I am now making questions up just for the fun of it and should really get on with posting the stats of the router?
Link Information

Uptime:    0 days, 9:00:20
DSL Type:    G.992.3 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:    444 / 3,640
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]:    8.88 / 26.18
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:    12.5 / 18.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:    33.5 / 57.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:    19.5 / 7.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote):    TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):    1,254 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):    393,215 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):    0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):    0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):    458,750 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down):    0 / 330,087
CRC Errors (Up/Down):    90 / 195
HEC Errors (Up/Down):    31 / 1,319

Just Ctrl-V'd them.
Now a thought.
Uptime:    0 days, 0:02:05
DSL Type:    G.992.3 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:    444 / 3,576
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):    1,254 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):    196,607 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):    262,156 / 0

So, lets look at Loss of Singal for now 196,607 - so we all know that Loss of Signal indicates how many times the ADSL signal was interrupted, now we all have a time 2mins 5 seconds now a quick fag packet calculation here tell us that we have 125 seconds if we divide 196,607 by 125 seconds we get 1,572.8 interruptions per second  Shocked Now, hold that thought!
don't drop it!

Now, the latest Router Stats state that the Loss Of Signal is 393,215, still with me here?
So fag packets out again!  Wink
there have been 196608 interruptions since those first 2mins 5 seconds, so for fun, lets work that out, for those who might have now got lost at the first figure, 393,215 minus 196,607 - okay? Good Smiley
We have now been up for 9 hours 20 seconds, so this won't be that hard to take away 125 seconds is it? It leaves us with 435 seconds, lets get dividing again. 451.9 interruptions per second since the first bout of interruptions.
Well even for fun that all gave our Parietal Lobe a bit of excersise didn't it? Smiley
So the question is now, How long does it take to fill the bath? Wink
>

The real question is, is this normal, what would be interrupting the first couple of mins, note, BT engineer had almost perfect statistics!?
The same could be done for the Error Seconds, the only this different is the router! There have been no known problems like this with the V8 router according to Thomson.  Undecided
So........

if you've all finished listening to Godley & Creme

Are we know stuck in the BT policy of "if it works leave it", or "don't get involved if you can help it", "if it costs money, don't go near it", (the later we've already been down - major faulty kit in the exchange, nothing done till the lot of replaced and a proper L&S was done").
Have we hit a brick wall?  Huh
Has Plusnet now been stumped and tripped up by BT?  Undecided
Has BT won?  Shocked
Why don't more people have more fun with this thread?  Wink
Why don't more people from Plusnet have fun with this thread?  Undecided
You never know, it might almost be coming to an end!  Shocked
Shall wait for the morning call promised by Mr Adam!  Roll_eyes
Wonder if this song title represents BT & Plusnet  Wink
>
Under Your Thumb  Wink If it is the case, maybe all Plusnet can do is P.W.E.I
>
 Grin
Adam, I told you it was diverse!  Wink
Do I proof this or just post? Nah, stuff it, just gonna post it! Roll_eyes
edit, yes I should have done  Roll_eyes
avatastic
Grafter

Quote from: TicnTac

*snip*
Voice line acceptable
*snip*

If at all possible, next time the voice line is not acceptable see if you can't get broadband taken off the line completely, and if the voice line is still unacceptable, we're easily looking at a physical fault between your home and the exchange.
In real terms that'll mean arranging a cease of broadband provision (which may cost) and a re-provide (will cost).
Quite why when the voice service started failing the broadband fault wasn't closed and a voice fault raised I don't know.
Maybe they should call me Captain Obvious
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
TicnTac
Grafter

If at all possible, next time the voice line is not acceptable see if you can't get broadband taken off the line completely, and if the voice line is still unacceptable, we're easily looking at a physical fault between your home and the exchange.

It all started with a voice line issue, I guess our first mistake was because roads and pavements were uprooted with BT cables all over them, we thought we had better wait a wee while before making a call to report the problem.
In real terms that'll mean arranging a cease of broadband provision (which may cost) and a re-provide (will cost).

The complete line according to the Network Guy from Liverpool in the foreigen registered van, changed every pair from home to exchange, a few I believe have been re-done!  Roll_eyes I can't see why things have to be turned off, that would be a complete pain in the mikta Roll_eyes I would not pay either  Sad
Quite why when the voice service started failing the broadband fault wasn't closed and a voice fault raised I don't know.

It was all voice fault up until 8 weeks or so ago, unless I pick through this thread I couldn't tell you the exact date  Roll_eyes
Maybe they should call me Captain Obvious

It's life, Jim, but not as we know it, not as we know it, not as we know it; it's life, Jim, but not as we know it, not as we know it, Captain.
  Wink
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Morning all,
Tim,
I'm going to give you a call in the afternoon as I need to spend some time router-hunting this morning. Returns bags will be sent out tomorrow (as I need to pick up the other item I mentioned to you on the phone yesterday).
Looking at things in the cold light of day the cause of your slow speeds at the moment just seem purely down to hardware. I'm more than convinced that the line stats achieved by the SFI yesterday with a voyager USB modem were very favourable. 
A promised yesterday I want to cover both eventualities so the fault report I have open for you is winging its way over to the high level escalations team at BT as we speak.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
TicnTac
Grafter

It's great that can I type a really long post with lots of questions and none of which get answered  Roll_eyes
........anyhoo........came across a really good indepth article on chipsets, exchanges, and to make it nice and short, and throw that spanner into the works
broadcom = good
infineon = bad
broadcom + infineon = good
broadcom + broadcom = awesome
infineon + infineon = bad
.......it isn't strictly true, the last part, it depends on chip versions, types etc.
I'm more than convinced that the line stats achieved by the SFI yesterday with a voyager USB modem were very favourable.  

If he was an SFI, then John Major is going run the country, we're having no goverment cuts, and you're record is going to get to Number 1 this weekend  Grin Dude, he was no SFI, he was a BSFE bog standard field engineer.........SFI's have posh kit, multiples of it, and SFI wouldn't have no idea what a ADSL Nationan face plate was, no he had no idea at all, and I always quote from previous SFI visits. He was no an SFI, Broadband engineer maybe, but not an SFI.
Here's something else to think about, BT lines routed and set poorly due to extensive LLU equipment and routing..... Undecided Just a thought. Read that somewhere last night also.
..........g2g speak to you soon Smiley
just to add, after an extensive call - AR7 chipset  Undecided
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hey Tim,
Sorry I missed your questions:
Is it the router?
Yes, I'm convinced, truly and utterly, the proof is in the line stats you posted.
No, no fault is being detected by diagnostics at the moment
Do we need to re-study for a pattern? You can if you like, I personally think it would be a waste of time.
No (then we would say that) I seriously believe that there is a compatibility issue at play here which is due to the hardware you are using (that's not your fault though).
How is BT able to get away with walking all over Plusnet and it's customer? They aren't Plusnet is still operating independently and is proud to do so. The problems you've experienced aren't due to BT
Will Adam be given a bonus of £6495 - because we think he should be! (specific I know but we have something in mind for him). 
mmmmmmm Adam  Smiley now there is a thought, and no one will know what I mean on that, apart from my other half, not even Adam!  Roll Eyes
I'm both intrigued and concerned by that lol, I've I had £6.5k I'd be off here: http://www.electromusic.co.uk/
Who was it doing wookie impressions?  Roll Eyes
I won't name names but he'll be reading this and he knows its him, he can't even do a wookie impression an needs to use an app on his phone to take the mick Wink
She's not around for me to ask her ATM, she's not part of our team (used to be) and helps out from time to time, she'll be working in her usual role and might not have even logged onto community for a while.
Yes, it may seem ridiculous to do so when we consider how many different routers you've tried so far but the proof is in the pudding and the pudding is Voyager flavoured Smiley
Is the line router specific? No lines should never be router specific, this issue will be down to incompatibility either on the MSAN a the exchange or the line card in the DSLAM.
I don't know, but I'm scratching my head and wondering about it Smiley
Why have I got nothing better to do than reply on this fault almost every night?
Because community is a great place to be,  I'm wondering if you might have a crush on the though :S
I'll ask about that Smiley
Wonders how rich I would be if I got £100 for every time PN & Plusnet was mentioned in this thread?
You'd be at least £2k better off by my reckoning.
Wonders why I am now making questions up just for the fun of it and should really get on with posting the stats of the router?
I can see you did  Smiley
What I think we need to consider seriously next Tim is what is the problem in hand, your landline works as far as I know, the speeds are good (according to the sync speed reported by the router) please run a line test on www.speedtest.net to see if that proves otherwise and the connection is stable.
If the throughput speeds don't get anywhere near the sync speed I'll knuckle down and push the fault to the top of BT wholesale.
For some reason it does finally feel like we're near the end of getting this sorted, lets focus on what the issue in hand is. I'm back off downstairs to rummage through our stock of test routers. Speak to you in a couple of hours. Smiley
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
TicnTac
Grafter

Hey Tim,
Sorry I missed your questions:
Is it the router?
Yes, I'm convinced, truly and utterly, the proof is in the line stats you posted.

Hi Adam, wasn't meaning you had to reply to them all  Wink
Router it is then  Undecided
No, no fault is being detected by diagnostics at the moment

I still smell something exchange like.
Do we need to re-study for a pattern? You can if you like, I personally think it would be a waste of time.

Me to, glad on that one  Roll_eyes
No (then we would say that) I seriously believe that there is a compatibility issue at play here which is due to the hardware you are using (that's not your fault though).

I know there is a bias there, but have to agree, but the question arises of why is there a hardware issue?
How is BT able to get away with walking all over Plusnet and it's customer? They aren't Plusnet is still operating independently and is proud to do so. The problems you've experienced aren't due to BT

Right, ok apart from a few CSA's Plusnet hasn't caused the exchange faults, the non lift & shifts, the voice faults, the naff BT engineers, or did Plusnet do this on purpose?  Roll_eyes Don't be daft, I know because you are Plusnet you can't blame BT, but I think everyone reading this know's full well, it's BT.
mmmmmmm Adam  Smiley now there is a thought, and no one will know what I mean on that, apart from my other half, not even Adam!  Roll Eyes
I'm both intrigued and concerned by that lol, I've I had £6.5k I'd be off here: http://www.electromusic.co.uk/

No need to be concerned, (see PM) and if you had £6495 specific, maybe in purple too with PN on it  Grin
Who was it doing wookie impressions?  Roll Eyes
I won't name names but he'll be reading this and he knows its him, he can't even do a wookie impression an needs to use an app on his phone to take the mick Wink

Hello to the person who has a mobile phone with odd wookie impressions, not very proffesional of you whilst Adam was on the phone was it now? Tut Tut, that bonus is going to vanish  Wink Guess the campaign to out the wookie impersonator won't work  Wink  Roll_eyes
She's not around for me to ask her ATM, she's not part of our team (used to be) and helps out from time to time, she'll be working in her usual role and might not have even logged onto community for a while.

No worries  Roll_eyes
Yes, it may seem ridiculous to do so when we consider how many different routers you've tried so far but the proof is in the pudding and the pudding is Voyager flavoured Smiley

AR7
Is the line router specific? No lines should never be router specific, this issue will be down to incompatibility either on the MSAN a the exchange or the line card in the DSLAM.

So is Plusnet to blame for this or BT? I think we again know the answer to that one.
I don't know, but I'm scratching my head and wondering about it Smiley

Me neither, but taking co-codomol just makes things worse!  Roll_eyes
Because community is a great place to be,  I'm wondering if you might have a crush on the though :S

A crush on the though? Huh?  Huh Forum can be good fun, but at times it, albeit the slowest place to surf, in the only place you can surf.  Roll_eyes
If I was to have a crush, I think it would be on this young lass called Sarah
>

I'll ask about that Smiley

I think you should, as it could attract thousands of good knowledgeable ADSL users to Plusnet, and be far cheaper than a silly TV campaign  Wink
You'd be at least £2k better off by my reckoning.

Nice Smiley
I can see you did  Smiley

Indeed!
What I think we need to consider seriously next Tim is what is the problem in hand, your landline works as far as I know, the speeds are good (according to the sync speed reported by the router) please run a line test on www.speedtest.net to see if that proves otherwise and the connection is stable.

Have been trying to do that whilst typing on this, so far no sucess, will try yet again!
Ten years later

If the throughput speeds don't get anywhere near the sync speed I'll knuckle down and push the fault to the top of BT wholesale.

The top? Really, I doubt it'll get that far will it?  Undecided
For some reason it does finally feel like we're near the end of getting this sorted, lets focus on what the issue in hand is. I'm back off downstairs to rummage through our stock of test routers. Speak to you in a couple of hours. Smiley

Would be nice if that was sooner, did try calling you, but was told that the number is for Plusnet issues only, faults etc.  Roll_eyes Someone forgot to do the usual of asking username, phone number etc. heard Walker x 2 and thought it was a personal call  Roll_eyes Hey ho  Grin
So the end is near is it? Well I guess we'll jump off that bridge when we get to it.  Roll_eyes
brrrinnnggg briiinngggg take 2.
oh, and for all those Chewy fans
>
  Grin
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

DSL Type:    G.992.3 annex A

This is ADSL2 rather than ADSL2+ (G.992.5). Can you set your router to ADSL2+/G.992.5 and see if that improves things?
TicnTac
Grafter

This is ADSL2 rather than ADSL2+ (G.992.5). Can you set your router to ADSL2+/G.992.5 and see if that improves things?

Yeah, that's my head not working, why I seem to remember 992.5 not 992.3 especially when I have hundreds of my stats posted on this thread  Roll_eyes I will never know.
The D-Link that PN provided, was able to change those settings but it was unable to make any sort of difference, it would have probably tuned into Hallam FM easier  Roll_eyes (Is that still going by the way?)
Thanks for the above suggestions though, just my fingers typing faster than my fron can keep up! Smiley