Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updates To Your Service - Bah

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Updates To Your Service - Bah

I've got a supposedly 20Mb/sec (actually 16Mb/sec) - will this be made 5 times faster?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

@DS wrote:

So why else would they boost it once and then repeat this claim?

But at least I've found my way out Smiley

It's a common trick; a certain Mr Blair used it again and again, and probably other PMs thereafter.  I've lost count of the number of times his spokesperson announced an extra £100 mill. for the NHS.  It was all the same £100 mill.

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 66

@Zasps wrote:

Just got the email. A 10% increase in price. The only possible 'benefit' that could possibly apply to me is:- We’re boosting our UK customer service team -

there will be even more friendly, helpful people on hand to help. Thumbs_Up

Oh Yeah  ? ? ? ?   never mind..... "give us time.... and we`ll get there"....  10 years plus.... still waiting for improved waiting time on the phones... Huh

Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

Just had my email.

So now the pound that was in my pocket is about to be in somebody else's. Angry

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
azc
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Just had my email.

"Our call set up fee is increasing by 1p from 21p per minute to 22p per minute and the standard rate for calls to UK landlines increasing to 13.5p per minute and mobiles to 15p per minute"

Call set up fee being charged per minute - what ?

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

LL have always had a "setup fee" which harks back to the original days when a call was router manually. So the 1st minute cost you 35.5p/min then each other min is 13.5p. Now compare this to 3's PAYG tarrif which is 3p/min with NO setup fee's.
Is it any wonder people don't use LL's anymore?
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Or if anyone who doesn't already use VoIP and would like to compare prices (and save a lot of money), take a look at DiscountVoip where calls to UK Geographical numbers - i.e. 01,02,03 (plus some other destinations) are charged at 0.1p (yes, a tenth of a penny) per minute with no setup charges.  Calls to UK mobiles are 0.3p per minute also no setup charges.  Prices are plus VAT unless you have a way to avoid that.

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

I use Localphone on my mobile, but same idea. But if you don't have a mobile then 18185 do cheaper calls (you just dial 18185 before the number, once you have an account setup.) Their rates have risen in the years I have been using them but still WAY WAY cheaper than not using them.
Jonpe
Hero

@HairyMcbiker wrote:
LL have always had a "setup fee" which harks back to the original days when a call was router manually. So the 1st minute cost you 35.5p/min then each other min is 13.5p.

No, the set-up fee is relatively new, starting on 1st October 2006 according to a post by a BT support person posting on the moneysavingexpert site.  Calls used to be charged in units which varied in length of time depending on the time of day and whether it was a weekday or a weekend and what part of the country you were calling, although there was a minimum charge of one unit per call.  The unit price stayed fairly steady at 4.2p + VAT for many years but the time allowed per unit shrunk over the years.  BT then introduced a price per minute calculated to the exact second, but again with a minimum charge equal to the old one-unit charge.  I was on a popular tariff where weekend calls were 1p/min, weekday evening calls 2p/min, and weekday daytime calls 3p/min.

When dial-up internet arrived I listed my ISP as my best friend and got a 20% discount on the 0845 number which was local rate in those days, i.e. paying 0.8p per minute after 6 pm.  I remember feeling very rich when ISPs started offering 'anytime' dial-up internet at a fixed monthly cost and I could afford to use the internet before 6 pm on weekdays.

In recent years BT have started rounding everything in their favour so they first round the VAT-exclusive price up to a whole penny, the time up to a full minute, and then add VAT before rounding the final call price up to a whole penny again.

Mav
Fixes: 517

@Jonpe wrote:

When dial-up internet arrived I listed my ISP as my best friend and got a 20% discount on the 0845 number which was local rate in those days, i.e. paying 0.8p per minute after 6 pm.  I remember feeling very rich when ISPs started offering 'anytime' dial-up internet at a fixed monthly cost and I could afford to use the internet before 6 pm on weekdays.

I seem to remember that BT got wise to that and stopped those numbers from being added to F&F?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 282

Well........................ Got my price increase email yesterday, called this morning and got it nullified for 22 months by getting an extra £1.00 'discount'.

RESULT!! Thumbs_Up

John
Zasps
Grafter

Nice one. Might be worth a go.

Jonpe
Hero

@Mav wrote:

@Jonpe wrote:

When dial-up internet arrived I listed my ISP as my best friend and got a 20% discount

I seem to remember that BT got wise to that and stopped those numbers from being added to F&F?

It was perfectly legit at the time I did it.  I gave them my list of F&F over the phone and said I was such a sad person that I wanted the internet dial-up number to be listed as my best friend.  The woman I spoke to said, "That's not sad, everyone's doing it."